What's new

Rocket 1 Shave Logs

log date: 2023-09-21

Completely behind on posting. Today's shave was the second session with a GEM Micromatic OC (MMOC). First shave had a lot of positives, but I did catch a few weepers with a first time use blade and not completely appreciating this razor's capability. So this session I employed a third time use blade and was more vigilant. The result was a solid BBS, other than the mustache area, where I chose to not go for one last aggressive touch up pass. I am torn between this model and the shovelhead. Planning another shave with the shovelhead and then a side by side with the MMOC.

Overall Score: 9.5 / 10

RAZOR: GEM Micromatic Gen 2 [OC]
BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [3]
BRUSH: Wald Nimbus [A1 Bulb]
LATHER: MacDuffs Summer Cabin

summercabin-ethos-sm.png

log date: 2023-09-23

The Vintage GEM journey continues. The Shovelhead delivers a solid BBS but feels a bit less effective than the GEM MMOC. On the other hand, the MMOC requires more vigilance and care. A side by side shave should clarify which is most effective.

Overall Score: 9.6 / 10

RAZOR: Ever Ready Shovelhead 1924
BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [4]
BRUSH: Brad Sears Wanderer [26mm Fan]
LATHER: Ethos Violeta [F base]
POST: Fine Fresh Vetiver Aftershave + Fine Clean Vetiver Aftershave

shovelhead-violetta.png

log date: 2023-09-24

Decided to pause on GEM shaves for a day and re-connect with the the Schick N1 and Twin II injector blade. Even at blade use eleven, a highly effective BBS was achieved. And as cooler weather finally arrives, I selected MacDuff's Black Rock. This is a relatively new addition to my MacDuff's collection, but I already envision it in frequent rotation over the coming months. A delicate balance of wafting waves of subdued evergreen and soft citrus notes invokes memories of an early morning hike with patches of comforting dew still clinging to a forest path. This evocative medley strikes an accord of complexity that delivers a lingering foundation of rounded and soothing forest tones and hints of florals, brightened with punctuations of light citrus. This scent has arrived in perfect time for fall weather.

Overall Score: 9.6 / 10

RAZOR: Schick N1 Injector
BLADE: Schick Injector Twin II [11]
LATHER: MacDuffs Black Rock

blackrock-schick-sq.png

log date: 2023-09-30

I wasn't quite sure what to expect with the Salient. Only on shave number two, but this razor is effective and smooth, although it does require a shallow angle and riding the cap. The only slight challenge is ATG in my most demanding regions, where it seems to require a slight adjustment to angle and approach. At its price point, this razor delivers value and performance.

Overall Score: 9.8 / 10

RAZOR: Paradigm Salient SS
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium [2]
BRUSH: Rudy Vey Chief [25mm Muhle STF]
LATHER: Ethos Vetivert [F base]

vetivert-salient-s.png

log date: 2023-10-01

Third shave with the Salient, and I am enjoying this razor. The only remaining challenge is dialing in my technique ATG in the mustache region. The shave also turned out well thanks to MacDuff's Sea to Sky. I recently picked up the aftershave in this scent, and it may be my favorite. While the aftershave departs somewhat from its more dominant grassy and crisp notes in the soap formulation, it also brings along a slightly sweet and rounded citrus medley that softens everything in a highly pleasing way.

Overall Score: 9.7 / 10

RAZOR: Paradigm Salient SS
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium [1]
BRUSH: Brad Sears Wanderer [26mm Fan]
LATHER: MacDuffs Sea to Sky

seasky-salient.png

log date: 2023-10-08

Excellent shave today with the ever wonderful La Faulx. And the excellent trio of a Wald A1, HoM Smash, and Fine Italian Citrus completed the experience.

Hope everyone had a terrific Sunday!

RAZOR: Atelier DURDAN La Faulx SS [SB]
BLADE: Feather Pro Super [3]
BRUSH: Wald Nimbus [A1 Fan]
LATHER: House of Mammoth Smash

smash-wald-s.png

log date: 2023-11-12

Easing back in to shave of the day posts. Coming off an incredibly intense project commitment over the past month. But having some amazing shaves nevertheless. The Vestige ++ has been wonderful, and I am absolutely addicted to the Ethos Dragonsbeard scent.

Fantastic shaves to all!

RAZOR: Atelier DURDAN Vestige Brass [++]
BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [2]
LATHER: Ethos Dragonsbeard [F base]

dragonsbeard-vetige-2.png

log date: 2023-11-13

An absolutely perfect shave today! I have said it previously, but the Vestige has a super power for safely clearing my most difficult mustache region. The Vestige may be overtaking the La Faulx in terms of overall ranking. Although both are fantastic razors.

Overall Score: 10 / 10

BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [3]
BRUSH: Rudy Vey Chief [25mm Muhle STF]
LATHER: MacDuffs Sea to Sky

vestige-seasky.png

log date: 2023-11-14

Just another day at the shave factory. :) Today's shave included a new to me DG B14, thanks to a fellow shaver on a different forum. This is also my first DG brush ever. I enjoyed the face feel and handle ergonomics, but I didn't quite hit my normal target lather. I'm sure that will be remedied with a few more sessions.

BLADE: Feather Pro Super [1]
BRUSH: Declaration Grooming Washington [28mm B14]

vestige-dgenvy.png

log date: 2023-12-01

Delayed post from yesterday's shave. First use of MacDuff's Santa's Cheer. I am not normally attracted to gourmand scents but this reads as a clean sophisticated egg nog. The aftershave leans a bit more to fresh butter cookies with a bit of extra spice. Overall very enjoyable. Looking forward to exploring the rest of the MacDuff's Santa trilogy.

LATHER: MacDuffs Santa’s Cheer

santa-cheer-lafaulx.png

I picked up Bad Santa for December too! How does Santa's Workshop and Santa's Cheer compare in scent?
@Balin I couldn't resist picking up the whole trilogy, although Bad Santa was the only one I did not get the matching splash for. I have only shaved with Santa's Cheer so far but plan to use Santa's Workshop for today's shave. Some preliminary scent notes from post above, and off the tub for the others:

Santa's Cheer: (pasting from earlier post) I am not normally attracted to gourmand scents but this reads as a clean sophisticated egg nog. The aftershave leans a bit more to fresh butter cookies with a bit of extra spice. Overall very enjoyable.

Santa's Workshop: (off the tub and bottle) Moderate strength pine notes up front quickly backed by soft citrus. This reads as a clean and more classical Christmas profile. Looking forward to this one

Bad Santa: (off the tub) Interestingly, this offers the lowest scent strength of the three, and I am not picking up a lot of distinctive scent notes. Lite tones of vanilla and cherry, maybe a hint of tobacco, are what I get mostly. I imagine this will open up once lathered.

@Balin I couldn't resist picking up the whole trilogy, although Bad Santa was the only one I did not get the matching splash for. I have only shaved with Santa's Cheer so far but plan to use Santa's Workshop for today's shave. Some preliminary scent notes from post above, and off the tub for the others:

Santa's Cheer: (pasting from earlier post) I am not normally attracted to gourmand scents but this reads as a clean sophisticated egg nog. The aftershave leans a bit more to fresh butter cookies with a bit of extra spice. Overall very enjoyable.

Santa's Workshop: (off the tub and bottle) Moderate strength pine notes up front quickly backed by soft citrus. This reads as a clean and more classical Christmas profile. Looking forward to this one

Bad Santa: (off the tub) Interestingly, this offers the lowest scent strength of the three, and I am not picking up a lot of distinctive scent notes. Lite tones of vanilla and cherry, maybe a hint of tobacco, are what I get mostly. I imagine this will open up once lathered.
Thank you sir!! I have the Bad Santa and for me it smells better in use than out of the tub. I was worried about the vanilla scent because the last soap I used ended up pretty much smelling of vanilla by the end of the month so I was looking for a change. There is some vanilla but not much in Bad Santa. The Santa's Workshop sounds like something I would like. Lol, my wife would probably love Santa's Cheer! Egg Nog is her favourite!

log date: 2023-12-11

It has been a challenging past week but nothing like an invigorating shave, courtesy of MacDuff's Candy Cane, to brighten the day. The DG B14 continues to offer a wonderful and differentiated face lathering experience.

LATHER: MacDuffs Candy Cane

candycane-joy.png

log date: 2023-11-14

Just another day at the shave factory. :) Today's shave included a new to me DG B14, thanks to a fellow shaver on a different forum. This is also my first DG brush ever. I enjoyed the face feel and handle ergonomics, but I didn't quite hit my normal target lather. I'm sure that will be remedied with a few more sessions.

View attachment 1748627
B14 is a beauty, love Washington!

Hard to tell from the picture - but looks like “Go Beyond”?

log date: 2023-12-17

Taking a momentary pause on some of my Christmas specific scents to enjoy a wonderful shave session with Dragonsbeard. It continues to evolve in to an ever more interesting and complex set of scent notes. So glad I purchased a backup set.

BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [4]
LATHER: Ethos Dragonsbeard [F base]

dragonsbeard-vestige.png

log date: 2023-12-27

Enjoying my first few shaves with MacDuff's Kananaskis Explorer. It lives somewhere in between MacDuff's Black Rock and Santa's Workshop. I only purchased the soap but find MacDuff's Black Rock aftershave pairs well.

Overall Score: 9.7 / 10

BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [1]
LATHER: MacDuffs Kananaskis Explorer

vestige-explorer.png

Top Bottom