What's new

Rocket 1 Shave Logs

log date: 2023-08-24

A most excellent shave! The Blackbird and I achieved complete mind meld. :) Maybe the last 95F+ day of the season? Had to go with HoM Smash and Ethos Mélange d’agrumes for a refreshing start to the day.

Overall Score: 10 / 10

RAZOR: Blackland Blackbird Ti [SB]
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium [2]
BRUSH: Brad Sears Wanderer [26mm Fan]
LATHER: House of Mammoth Smash

bbti-wander-ig.png

log date: 2023-08-25

From 95F to a cool grey day of misting rain. Old Strathcona seemed the appropriate choice. Continuing to keep the Schick N and O in rotation to bring blade reuse count up to my Type M, and then a comparative shave review between each variant.

Pleasant shaves to all!

Overall Score: 9.8 / 10

RAZOR: Schick N1 Injector
BLADE: Schick Injector Twin II [9]
BRUSH: Wald Nimbus [A1 Bulb]
LATHER: MacDuffs Old Strathcona

strathcona-type-n.png

log date: 2023-08-29

Had missed a day of shaving, so I picked up the Nodachi Ti. Efficient and effective shave delivered. And throughout the shave Mousse Illuminee radiated a medley of warming green notes that enveloped the room.

Overall Score: 9.7 / 10

RAZOR: Tatara Nodachi (Masamune Handle) Ti [SB]
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium [1]
BRUSH: Rudy Vey Chief [25mm Muhle STF]
LATHER: Zingari Man Mousse Illuminee

IMG_0028-b.png

log date: 2023-08-31

Summer temps are back so had to bring out MacDuff's Summer Cabin. And the Aristocrat is always a pleasure to use.

RAZOR: Gillette Aristocrat 1946/47
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium [2]
BRUSH: Wald Nimbus [A1 Bulb]
LATHER: MacDuffs Summer Cabin ☀️

aristocrat-wald-igb.png

log date: 2023-09-04

An extended weekend called for Ethos Succes and La Faulx. Terrific combination that allowed for a relaxing and indulgent shave session. Now on to some Labor Day festivities. 🍹

RAZOR: Atelier DURDAN La Faulx SS [SB]
BLADE: Feather Pro Super [3]
BRUSH: Wald Nimbus [A1 Fan]
LATHER: Ethos Succès [F base]

lafaulx-dark.png

log date: 2023-09-05

Finally arrived at the same blade reuse count as my Type M. Just need one more shave with the Type N, and then I can conduct a full comparison between all of these variants.

RAZOR: Schick O Injector
BLADE: Schick Injector Twin II [11]
LATHER: MacDuffs Sea to Sky

schicko-seasky-altd.png

log date: 2023-09-05

Finally arrived at the same blade reuse count as my Type M. Just need one more shave with the Type N, and then I can conduct a full comparison between all of these variants.

RAZOR: Schick O Injector
BLADE: Schick Injector Twin II [11]

View attachment 1713327
Lovely SotD image, @Rocket 1! That brush is a real looker!

I see you also like HoM and ZM soaps. I've only sampled some MacDuffs and hear good things about them. At one point I nearly pulled the trigger on the Sea to Sky. How do you like it? How does it smell to you?

Thanks!

Lovely SotD image, @Rocket 1! That brush is a real looker!

I see you also like HoM and ZM soaps. I've only sampled some MacDuffs and hear good things about them. At one point I nearly pulled the trigger on the Sea to Sky. How do you like it? How does it smell to you?

Thanks!
@Buttercup Thanks, I appreciate the kind words on the SOTD image. And I do enjoy that brush. I have been working it back in rotation, as I have been heavily focused on the Wald A1 knot these days.

I probably have mentioned on some of my past SOTD posts that MacDuffs has become one of my top soap bases, in general. And The Sea to Sky has become a favorite, more so than I initially expected. Old Strathcona is still my top choice, but Sea to Sky is close (although they are polar opposites in scent profile). Sea to Sky comes across as a fresh, clean, and invigorating scent that reads more mountain that aquatic. And while there are no overt green components I find the combination of citrus and florals reads more green grassy than pure citrus. Overall, I definitely recommend it.

I was also considering Shave Supply's exclusive MacDuffs: Black Rock. It seems to share overlapping elements with Sea to Sky. I will be picking Black Rock up at some point as well.

Thank you for your take and description. There have been a few soaps like Sea to Sky that have piqued my interest. I think Astoria from Moon Soaps has that kind of aquatic/mountain theme to it. Thanks for mentioning Black Rock. I've never heard of it and took a look at Shave Supply. Another one that fits in this similar theme.

I've been on a bit of a fougere kick lately with Stirling Varen, Souther Witchcrafts Fougere Nemeta and Seaforth! Heather in my top three. I nearly pulled the trigger on MdC Fougere recently, but went the SV route instead. There are too many good soaps out there and not enough time!😁

Thank you for your take and description. There have been a few soaps like Sea to Sky that have piqued my interest. I think Astoria from Moon Soaps has that kind of aquatic/mountain theme to it. Thanks for mentioning Black Rock. I've never heard of it and took a look at Shave Supply. Another one that fits in this similar theme.

I've been on a bit of a fougere kick lately with Stirling Varen, Souther Witchcrafts Fougere Nemeta and Seaforth! Heather in my top three. I nearly pulled the trigger on MdC Fougere recently, but went the SV route instead. There are too many good soaps out there and not enough time!😁
I went on a meaningful fougere sample journey earlier in the year trying to find something close to the MdC scent profile, but I was not successful. Unfortunately, I get a modest skin reaction to MdC fougere. A few other shavers have described the same issue. I haven't tried Stirling Varen. Will take a closer look.

Also Ethos Grooming is working on a MdC inspired fougere but not sure when it may become available.

But you are definitely right, so many great soaps to try :)

log date: 2023-09-07

First shave completed with the Atelier DURDAN Vestige. Started with the + plate and will use the ++ tomorrow. I want to get another shave in before writing up a more complete analysis. But the short version is: I like this razor. I achieved an excellent outcome with this wonderfully smooth and effective shaver. I did have to conduct some touch ups in my most demanding areas. But I think part of that might be me not hitting the sweet spot for shaving angle, on the first two passes. By the third I was pretty dialed in. It has been a while since I shaved with a GEM razor. Also, I think this razor may have a superpower for handling the mustache area (or maybe it is the GEM format?). Looking forward to the upcoming shaves!

RAZOR: Atelier DURDAN Vestige SS [+]
BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [1]
LATHER: House of Mammoth Alive

vestige-alive-1.png

log date: 2023-09-09

I have had some unexpected commitments come up so will be sharing a more abbreviated set of notes on the last two shaves. After tomorrow's shave I plan to complete a more lengthy review:

Third shave with the Vestige and back with the + plate. My previous second shave with the ++ plate provided the efficiency I wanted, but there was some reduction in smoothness and comfort that accompanied it. A part of that was operator error not fully respecting the efficiency of that plate. Although, I did experience an excellent BBS outcome with high duration, and it was noticeably improved over the + plate.

So I returned to the + plate to consider if it would be sufficient, now having more experience with the razor. Overall, another effective shave occurred with a significant reduction in needed touch ups. The only negative was a noticeable reduction in effectiveness in the last strokes of the third pass. I could tell that the blade was not presenting with the same efficiency as the first shave. That makes me think that the + plate could be effective with a fresh blade but may not work so well in latter uses. But when inspecting the results, it was still a nice BBS outcome, and in fact improved over my first shave. But I am starting to detect a tiny amount of regrowth roughly 6 hours in, when compared to the ++ plate that was in the 11 hour range.

I now find myself at a bit of a crossroads with plate choices. The + plate overs smooth and effective shaves, but not quite at the BBS duration and efficiency I would normally seek. And the ++ plate certainly improved on that but resulted in a reduction in comfort. So I am going back to the ++ plate tomorrow with a fresh blade ( palm stropped ) and focus on a bit more care and less cavalier attitude. This razor is not aggressive at all, and encourages addressing the most difficult areas with a relaxed approach.

BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [3]

vestige-succes-sqb.png

log date: 2023-09-09

I have had some unexpected commitments come up so will be sharing a more abbreviated set of notes on the last two shaves. After tomorrow's shave I plan to complete a more lengthy review:

Third shave with the Vestige and back with the + plate. My previous second shave with the ++ plate provided the efficiency I wanted, but there was some reduction in smoothness and comfort that accompanied it. A part of that was operator error not fully respecting the efficiency of that plate. Although, I did experience an excellent BBS outcome with high duration, and it was noticeably improved over the + plate.

So I returned to the + plate to consider if it would be sufficient, now having more experience with the razor. Overall, another effective shave occurred with a significant reduction in needed touch ups. The only negative was a noticeable reduction in effectiveness in the last strokes of the third pass. I could tell that the blade was not presenting with the same efficiency as the first shave. That makes me think that the + plate could be effective with a fresh blade but may not work so well in latter uses. But when inspecting the results, it was still a nice BBS outcome, and in fact improved over my first shave. But I am starting to detect a tiny amount of regrowth roughly 6 hours in, when compared to the ++ plate that was in the 11 hour range.

I now find myself at a bit of a crossroads with plate choices. The + plate overs smooth and effective shaves, but not quite at the BBS duration and efficiency I would normally seek. And the ++ plate certainly improved on that but resulted in a reduction in comfort. So I am going back to the ++ plate tomorrow with a fresh blade ( palm stropped ) and focus on a bit more care and less cavalier attitude. This razor is not aggressive at all, and encourages addressing the most difficult areas with a relaxed approach.

BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [3]

View attachment 1715446
Great shave report and a lovely picture! That's a very attractive razor. You know what the enabler vultures will be telling you to do!;)

Great shave report and a lovely picture! That's a very attractive razor. You know what the enabler vultures will be telling you to do!;)
Yes, it has already started :)

BTW, I emailed with Gareth (of Shave Supply). MacDuff's Black Rock set will be shipping Monday. Here are his notes on the scent and comparison with Sea to Sky:

"So, I can see your confusion regarding the scent profiles matching to an extent, but these are completely different scents in the end.
They both contain Sea Salt and Driftwood, but after that they differ completely. Black Rock has more of a brighter pine and citrus note, with some florals and citrus and cucumber to sweeten it up a little and make the wood notes less punchy.
It dries down to a more cologne type finish. It's by far the most popular MacDuff's scent I sell..."

I'll share more on comparative differences between Sea to Sky and Black Rock once I have a few shaves in with Black Rock.

log date: 2023-09-13

Nearing the end of my time with the Vestige. Only big difference in this session is the 4th use of the GEM blade began to exhibit some signs of degradation in effectiveness. Overall, enjoying the ++ plate after a few technique adjustments. It seems to consistently deliver on quality BBS.

RAZOR: Atelier DURDAN Vestige SS [++]
BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [4]
LATHER: Ethos Sandalo Artistico [F base]

vestige-ethos.png

log date: 2023-09-15

First shave with a vintage GEM razor, on loan from a generous member on a different forum, Dave in KY. This was a fun shave all the way around. The GEM Junior with fat handle was intuitive and produced a lovely tone of audible feedback. Overall fairly efficient. Although, I did meet some resistance ATG in the mustache area and BBS duration is on the lower end of the spectrum. Post application revealed a bit of feedback on the neckline but nothing dramatic. This shave also includes the debut of MacDuffs Black Rock. I plan a few more shaves before sharing thoughts on this scent, but so far very enjoyable.

BTW, Dave in KY has an eponymous YouTube shaving channel with an emphasis on vintage razors. Well worth watching with a relaxed approach and lots of insights.

Overall Score: 9.6 / 10

RAZOR: GEM Junior (Fat Handle)
BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [1]
LATHER: MacDuffs Black Rock

gemjr-blackrock.png

log date: 2023-09-16

Continuing my sampling of vintage GEM format razors with the Ever Ready Shovelhead. Right out of the gate I enjoyed the smooth efficiency of this razor. And the net result was a strong BBS. The only less positive item was catching a few small nicks ATG. A modern GEM blade seems to leave a little play, and I suspect that was a contributing factor. Next session I will be more vigilant going ATG.

Pleasant shaves to all!

Overall Score: 9 / 10

RAZOR: Ever Ready Shovelhead 1924
BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [2]

seasky-shovelhead-ig.png

log date: 2023-09-16

Continuing my sampling of vintage GEM format razors with the Ever Ready Shovelhead. Right out of the gate I enjoyed the smooth efficiency of this razor. And the net result was a strong BBS. The only less positive item was catching a few small nicks ATG. A modern GEM blade seems to leave a little play, and I suspect that was a contributing factor. Next session I will be more vigilant going ATG.

Pleasant shaves to all!

Overall Score: 9 / 10

RAZOR: Ever Ready Shovelhead 1924
BLADE: Personna GEM (Coated) [2]

View attachment 1718722
Stunning pic!

Top Bottom