What's new

Review of Mühle / Muhle / Muehle shaving soap (Sea Buckthorn, Grapefruit and Mint)

Got some new soaps for my birthday.
A puck of Sea Buckthorn in ceramic bowl with lid and a puck of grapefruit and mint from Mühle.

So far I had only tested their shaving creams and was a bit put off by the small size of the their soaps.
(I had stopped using soaps after Klar had stopped making the kabinet soap, which I used to rasp and press in a fairly big shaving bowl.)

But I have been reformed, the Mühle pucks have a rim at the bottom which fits perfectly on a rim in the shaving bowl, leaving a gap around the soap?
When loading my Simpson brush, I noticed that the brush was staying inside the tiny bowl by being pushed into the rim between the soap and the bowl. Therefore speeding up the whole process and reducing and unnecessary amount of foam, which I use to produce.
Why has nobody else thought of this?

Apart from the scent, the soaps perform identically well on my sensitive skin. Even though there is no ultra smooth feeling like with a T&H or TOBS cream, I felt protected and, with the amount produced, could have easily gone for a three pass shave.

So if like me, you tend to make to much foam and end up washing it down the drain, you are fed up of trying to keep the puck from swirling around in your mug and don't feel like rasping your soap or even melting it, to fit your bowl, give them a try.

The soap comes in a variety of scents, but since I am not into sandalwood or aloe vera, I can only recommend the Sea Buckthorn, which has a very unique citrus scent and the Grapefruit / Mint which I think works best on a hot summers day.

MÜHLE Rasierseife Sandelholz Porzellanschale 65g
MÜHLE Rasierseife Sandelholz Porzellanschale 65g

Nice review 👍

I have been enjoying the grapefruit & mint soap over the last week or so and find it works particularly well when lathered with a synthetic brush.
Been looking at synthetic brushes, but don’t like the handles on the mühle. Which one do you use?

Been looking at synthetic brushes, but don’t like the handles on the mühle. Which one do you use?
My preferred synthetic is the Cashmere from AP Shave Co. It is beautifully soft and splays easily. I'm not much of a fan of the Muhle silvertip fibre brushes as the knot just feels rough on my skin.

I have used (and still use) the aloe vera version. I find it a good soap that I think last more than haslinger (which has the same weight and similar price in Spain) and has more refined scents.
I am waiting to receive a sea buckthorn puck.

My preferred synthetic is the Cashmere from AP Shave Co. It is beautifully soft and splays easily. I'm not much of a fan of the Muhle silvertip fibre brushes as the knot just feels rough on my skin.
Can’t get hold of the AP Shave easily around me, so i pulled the trigger on a razorock beehive, for 12,50 EUR it looked worth a try. Will let you know how it performs once i received it.

Rudy Vey can make you a custom brush with the Muhle synthetic knots he stocks. It is one of my favorite synthetics.

Having said that, I have been absolutely enjoying the Wald A1 synthetic knot. The Wald is in the premium price range and requires a wait for international shipping.

I use Muhle Sandalwood in a Muhle porcelain bowl daily, like it a lot.

Brush is a Muhle Silvertip synthetic, shaver a Muhle R89.

Guess you tell I like Muhle products.
Are you using the puck bowl or the shaving bowl? I got a shaving bowl, the black one. I like to uniform my line up. I want to try their soaps, specifically the alow puck. I am debating whether to get the puck bowl with it, I do like the wooden bowl it comes with, or try lathering directly in the shave bowl. I read the bowl was designed to hold the puck.

Oh, okay. I got the mug then. Sorry, couldn't think of the word yesterday.

1704212287500.png

What can I expect with using the mug/bowl for the puck? I read the standard is using a separate bowl.

Top Bottom