What's new

Resto vs. High end...

Looking at the boards, and looking online I was wondering something. People who restore brushes with silvertip or high quality badger hair are spending a fraction of money compared to those who buy the big name brushes.

Besides knowing that you have a high end brush by a well known company, is there an advantage of the well knowns compared to the restored? I'm new to this, so I might be missing something.

Hair grades of some of the high end brushmakers are better, probably marginable by some opinions. Also re-sale is generally better with high end brushes, if that's a consideration for you. At the end of the day they all do thier job though.

I would think warranty is an issue too. You can't do much about a restoration that falls apart but many of the manufacturer's will stand behind their brushes 100%. I have few of both, honestly, mostly because the restorations offer a different look and are a fraction of the price, like you said. All that said, my favorite brush for the past 6 months has been a Fuller restored with a TGN knot. My Rooney is not far behind, though, and I don't plan to part with either of them any time soon.

I think the restorations function just as well and I like them better, too. Some people like brand names and want to have X, Y, or Z brush. I just want a brush that looks great and works great, and I actually think it's cooler to have an old brush brought back to life than to use a new, high-end brush.

My $0.02.

There is definitely a cool factor to have a high end name brand brush...

Still taking opinions. I have a few old brushes that could be brought back, and I also have a small Rooney that I enjoy.

Basically it comes down to some guys are DIY, some guys aren't.

Disagree. If a Rooney or Shavemac quality knot was as readily available as a TGN, then I would be more apt to do one. A lot of folks use TGN knots in their restores, and while their is nothing wrong with them, they can't compete with a Rooney 2-band heritage or M&F Blonde (IMO).

I have a couple of old restores with TGN knots that I love to shave with - they are very functional. However, I don't think they perform as well as some of the high end knots.

Sometimes you do get what you pay for... The question becomes whether or not you feel that the higher price is worth the difference in performance. That part is purely subjective and there is not finite answer.

AgBill is right on here, the high end brush makers do make their own knots and generally the hair is of a specific quality not found in the TGN knots and they pay for it, thus you pay for it. So the question remains is the difference in performance worth the price? Do you want the best or do you settle for very good?

Why would I want to pay more for a PLASTIC (pet peve #1) handle with a STICKER! (pet peve #2) I cant believe they would put a STICKER on a $200 brush, a name doesn't mean quality, quality means quality and a STICKER isn't quality. I mean they brand the model into to the brush why not the makers logo too?

Last edited:
Why would I want to pay more for a PLASTIC (pet peve #1) handle with a STICKER! (pet peve #2) I cant believe they would put a STICKER on a $200 brush, a name doesn't mean quality, quality means quality and a STICKER isn't quality. I mean they brand the model into to the brush why not the makers logo too?

You're kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Take Simpson for example. They stamped "Simpson" in lampblacke on every shaving brush until 2009 or so, and then put a water decal over it, which came off quickly when wet. Workplace safety regulations don't allow the use of lampblacke anymore, so Progress/Vulfix is left with the choice of laser engraving Simpson onto every handle (and potentially driving the cost up), or leave it off, so they opt for a more permanent sticker instead, which is true to the company's heritage. They still get criticized because the filler in the engraved brush model name on the handle fades over time, and folks scramble for solutions to fill it in. Even the discussions of the vintage Everreadys talk about getting the white filler back in the engraved lettering on the handle.

Look at the brushes that don't have stickers like Rooney, where the labeling can wear away progressively over time, and look kind of crappy. If you look at some of the vintage Rooneys and Kents, they, too, had stickers. Even the new two band Thaters are getting dinged for their new logo, and I have regularly seen comments about the permanence of their printed logo. Personally, I like what Rudy does on his custom brushes, with his logo engraved on the base of the handle. In the end, it's the knot that matters most to me, and whether you are talking about a completely manufactured brush from a high end manufacturer or a knot sold for the purpose of restoring a vintage brush, if it makes lather, it's all good.

You're kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Take Simpson for example. They stamped "Simpson" in lampblacke on every shaving brush until 2009 or so, and then put a water decal over it, which came off quickly when wet. Workplace safety regulations don't allow the use of lampblacke anymore, so Progress/Vulfix is left with the choice of laser engraving Simpson onto every handle (and potentially driving the cost up), or leave it off, so they opt for a more permanent sticker instead, which is true to the company's heritage. They still get criticized because the filler in the engraved brush model name on the handle fades over time, and folks scramble for solutions to fill it in. Even the discussions of the vintage Everreadys talk about getting the white filler back in the engraved lettering on the handle.

Look at the brushes that don't have stickers like Rooney, where the labeling can wear away progressively over time, and look kind of crappy. If you look at some of the vintage Rooneys and Kents, they, too, had stickers. Even the new two band Thaters are getting dinged for their new logo, and I have regularly seen comments about the permanence of their printed logo. Personally, I like what Rudy does on his custom brushes, with his logo engraved on the base of the handle. In the end, it's the knot that matters most to me, and whether you are talking about a completely manufactured brush from a high end manufacturer or a knot sold for the purpose of restoring a vintage brush, if it makes lather, it's all good.

Agreed, I'm just saying if you are willing to throw down 200 smackers on a brush your probably willing to pay "that little extra" for a fully engraved logo, IMO.

Besides knowing that you have a high end brush by a well known company, is there an advantage of the well knowns compared to the restored? I'm new to this, so I might be missing something.

Short Answer, Yes.

Can you have wonderful shaving experiences using a homemade TGN knot? The answer is also yes. I have a TGN finest that whips wonderful lather very quickly.

Is it worth spending the extra money to have an optimal lathering brush? The answer is YMMV.

The good news is that if you invested in a premium brush and found that it wasn't for you, you'd be able to recover most of your investment on BST.

Legion

Staff member
Basically it comes down to some guys are DIY, some guys aren't.

^This.

Personally I get great lather from the high end TGN knots, and I get to use them in a vintage, cool looking handle which I restored with my own two hands. I would choose that option any day of the week over an "off the peg" store bought brush which is exactly the same as the ones bought by everyone else. I don't care how fancy the label is.

Just a YMMV.

Restoration vs. high end? How about restoration and high end? You can restore an old brush for a fraction of the cost of a high end brush, and then using the difference, buy a mid range brush from the same high end manufacturer. A restored brush is more than a brush in my opinion.

^This.

Personally I get great lather from the high end TGN knots, and I get to use them in a vintage, cool looking handle which I restored with my own two hands. I would choose that option any day of the week over an "off the peg" store bought brush which is exactly the same as the ones bought by everyone else. I don't care how fancy the label is.

Just a YMMV.

+100, amen brother.

Restoration, is a great idea , it means you have taken part in bringing something back, anybody can just buy a brush, but not everyone can restore or make.

I got restored brushes by me and others and I have couple of high end brushes from Simpson. I have them all in rotation. I like both types for what they are. When I use one of my restos, I think about the time that I did it (and in the case of one, spot the goof). When I use a resto I bought, I think about who I bought it from and admire their skill and decisions. When I use a store bought, fresh from the factory brush, I think "Thank goodness there are folks who still make top notch shaving gear and I'm happy to support that effort".

-jim

Top Bottom