What's new

Reloading rig recommendations….

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’d like to be able to pump out a good deal of ammo in a reasonable period of time (ideally at least 1k rounds an hour)
For this you’re probably going to need some sort of automated system. I know there are people that claim they can reload 1000rnds an hour, but I can’t imagine pulling the handle 1000 times in 60min.

For high volume shooting, Dillon all the way. You said money is no object, but how about bench space? If that is no problem, then one of the upper tier models with case and bullet feeders would be a good move. If high production rate is not a concern, or if space is limited, a Redding T-7 turret press is a fine option. The best single stage for normal sized cartridges is the Foster Bonanza Co-Ax. Of course, there is the Area 419 and a similar German press in the $1K+ range, but other than beauty and bragging rights, I doubt they are any better at producing ammo, YMMV. Then there are semi- commercial automated set ups to be had, but that's a whole 'nuther animal. I use a Dillon 550, the Redding T-7 and the F/B Co-Ax.
How do you have the stations on the Redding T-7 set up?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
How do you have the stations on the Redding T-7 set up?
I have three tool heads, each has 7 stations, so each tool head has dies for two different calibers on it, usually with one open station. I have dies for .223, .308, .30-06, .300 BO, 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmoor. I built this stand to hold the extra tool heads.

IMG_2388.JPG

These are all Redding dies and I use this set up for my precision reloads. I have .233 and .308 RCBS dies on my Dillon 550 that I use for cranking out plinking/general purpose ammo.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Great long term planning.
does your 6.5x55 feel like a red headed step child?
Probably so. I have two and seldom shoot them. One is an old sporterized M 96 that I took my first deer with and the other is a sweet CZ carbine with a single set trigger. I haven't loaded for them in years, but I have the dies to do so.

Dillon

My first shooting mentor had a conga line of square Deal Bs on his bench
9mm/38-357/44/.45/

He ultimately sold those presses for more than he paid for them after a trip back to the mother ship for lube/oil/adjustments and bough two 650s-one was set up for small primers. (Mostly 9mm, then 38) and the other for large primers -45.

He tried to reload 100 rds a day every few days. That all but eliminated out of spec reloads that are often a product of going too fast. He would chamber check a couple of rds at random unless it was for a match/qual and then he would chamber check them all.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
If I had the bench space, I'd buy the stripped down version of the 550 (without the powder measures, etc.) to add to my current 550, for which I already have extra tool heads all set up.
I check all my reloads with a chamber gauge.

Probably so. I have two and seldom shoot them. One is an old sporterized M 96 that I took my first deer with and the other is a sweet CZ carbine with a single set trigger. I haven't loaded for them in years, but I have the dies to do so.
I did not know the CZ 6.5x55 came in the carbine size.
if I had seen it I would have one.

My M 96 has been refinished in brushed nickle so that it looks like stainless steel and was put in a cheap Ramline stock.

My CZ has a full length stock similar to your sporterized Swede.
What’s is brushed nickel?
my DW is refinished with electrolist nickel. What’s the difference?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
"Brushed nickel" is just my term for it, as it has a brushed or matte nickel finish to it, not polished like a nickel plated revolver might be. I have no idea what the actual type of nickel process it might be.

I started with a Lyman Truline Jr in 1957 and upgraded to a Lyman Spartan in 1968. Eventually I got tired of handling the brass repeatedly to produce a round and went progressive with a Dillon 550. Recently. I've been shooting Sporting Clays regularly and started using a MEC Sizemaster.

Top Bottom