What's new

Reloading rig recommendations….

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
My first choice would be definitely a Dillon press. Not sure what caliber you will be reloading, but if it is only one, the Square deal is a great little press, had a couple myself. Eventually I went with the 550 model and have two now one setup for large primer (.45 acp) and one for small primer (9, 38spl, 357 mag). It is a very reliable press. But it has its limitations, like no chance of automating it, no case and or bullet feeder. I think all depends on how much you have to reload. For my recreational shooting (2-4 times a month), the two I have are perfect for me.
Why I chose Dillon? They have the most complete program of reloading presses and a lot of add-ons possible by other companies. Lee is for me a starter press system, and I would not recommend it (although I have a turret press - now packed away).

I am a big RCBS fan. I have been using a "Rockchucker" press since the early 80s. All the add ons you could ever want and reasonably priced. Solid, reliable and easy to set up.

20221110_133109.jpg
20221112_150527.jpg

Bang for the buck (pun intended)? For my money, Dillon is the one. Years ago I was shooting a lot of .45ACP (~1,000 rounda a week) and I purchased their "Square Deal" press set-up for that caliber. It performed excellently.

Now, production isn't a requirement, so I use a "Forster Co-Axial" single stage press these days.

b/r

ON_1

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 If money was no object, Dillon...

I use a Lyman turret press and dies, molds and accessories from everybody.

Expense makes people pause on the brink. A hand tool, a single can of powder, a box of primers and one of slugs makes you a reloader in a day. As a teenager I marveled at my new 30-30 reloads going right through a tree and was hooked. Just dive in.

AA

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I use, and really like, Hornady products. I looked hard at Dillon before I went with Hornady. The nearest Dillon dealer to me is over 40 miles away so I’d have to go that far, or order online, if there was something that I needed or lost. Cabelas carries Hornady and there a Cabelas 10min from me. A lot of smaller gun shops that carry reeloading gear will have Hornady, not so much Dillon. The Dillon set up also seemed, to me at least, to involve more work when you wanted to switch from one caliber to another and at the time I was reloading for about 10 different calibers.

That being said, the guys that I knew that shot action pistol matches all the time all used Dillon. They were reloading 2-3 thousand rounds every month.

I have a Hornady Lock N Load progressive. I have loaded over 100k rounds with it and have had very little trouble.

I have a Rock Chucker I use for rifles and low volume pistol rounds.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
For high volume shooting, Dillon all the way. You said money is no object, but how about bench space? If that is no problem, then one of the upper tier models with case and bullet feeders would be a good move. If high production rate is not a concern, or if space is limited, a Redding T-7 turret press is a fine option. The best single stage for normal sized cartridges is the Foster Bonanza Co-Ax. Of course, there is the Area 419 and a similar German press in the $1K+ range, but other than beauty and bragging rights, I doubt they are any better at producing ammo, YMMV. Then there are semi- commercial automated set ups to be had, but that's a whole 'nuther animal. I use a Dillon 550, the Redding T-7 and the F/B Co-Ax.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Money no object, Dillon progressive with a single stage on the side for smaller batches of reloading.

For myself I think a beginner should start on a single stage or turret style press just to get the hang of reloading and to learn of the potentials for mistakes. Squib loads, double loads, improper OAL’s, bad crimps etc. Then when you graduate to a progressive you have that press for the small batches or target grade ammo.

I started on a turret style and still loaded a couple squibs despite super careful attention lol.

When you know what is going on a full blown Dillon with all the auto feed and case length cutters etc. would be sweet.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The early days of my reloading brings back memories of being “that guy” at the ranges scrounging for brass, or chasing down my 5.56 brass that I spent days manually reaming crimped primer pockets and case lengths.

For high volume shooting, Dillon all the way. You said money is no object, but how about bench space? If that is no problem, then one of the upper tier models with case and bullet feeders would be a good move. If high production rate is not a concern, or if space is limited, a Redding T-7 turret press is a fine option. The best single stage for normal sized cartridges is the Foster Bonanza Co-Ax. Of course, there is the Area 419 and a similar German press in the $1K+ range, but other than beauty and bragging rights, I doubt they are any better at producing ammo, YMMV. Then there are semi- commercial automated set ups to be had, but that's a whole 'nuther animal. I use a Dillon 550, the Redding T-7 and the F/B Co-Ax.
I’d ideally want a self supporting rig, or have it mounted to a stand, as I don’t have a workbench.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The Dillon 550 is a very versatile press. It's only downside is that you must manually advance it, so it is a semi progressive press, plus it only has 4 stations. But in many ways this is a plus. Particularly for a beginner. You can stop, back up and inspect if need be. I have eight complete tool heads and powder measures set up and ready to swap out as needed.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
This may be problematic for any progressive press. A single stage or turret press can be used where space is limited, but any press would benefit from a sturdy bench. There have been a few threads addressing this. One of the more recent ones is here:

Reloading - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/reloading.621358/

Space isn’t really an issue, I just don’t have a workbench in my garage. I could certainly build one, or order one specific for reloading equipment though. I’d like to be able to pump out a good deal of ammo in a reasonable period of time (ideally at least 1k rounds an hour) for .38 special, .380 acp, .44 special (and mag), 10mm, 460 magnum and 500 magnum. I’d probably still just buy 9mm factory ammo, since good quality, accurate and clean shooting 9mm is readily available at good prices. The latter three calibers I haven’t shot much of at all, as finding factory ammo in those calibers, especially at realistic prices (I was quoted $250 a box for 500 mag from one gun store!) is next to impossible.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
If you have space, you need a sturdy reloading bench. It needs to be sturdier than you think it needs to be. It's not for supporting the weight, but resisting rocking back and forth. Ideally it should be bolted to studs in the wall. For the production rate you mention, you want the top-of-the-line Dillon with all the bells and whistles.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@joel, as many have already mentioned, it's always good to have a sturdy (preferably iron framed) single stage press in addition to whatever progressive you may eventually get. There are certain activities that are best done on a single stage, particularly if leverage is needed.

Top Bottom