What's new

Recommendations for an anti dandruff shampoo

Have you ever tried a shampoo without sodium laurel/laurteth sulfate? Some people (myself included) have a sensitivity to these ingredients that are in most shampoos, and they can trigger dandruff. Most of the anti-dandruff shampoos have high quantities of one or both of them. It might be worth trying one of these as well as the anti-dandruff shampoos. They will not be sold as anti-dandruff (that I've seen), but will be with the more "natural" products most of the time. Most of the shampoo bars will work for this as well.

I never had a problem with lots of flakes, but I could get some major itchy scalp, and since switching to non-SLS/SLES shampoos, it has all cleared up.

YMMV

James

I've had the same experience. I tried every anti dandruff shampoo on the market with no help. I only had flakes in the winter...not even sure if it was actually dandruff. The biggest problem was my itchy scalp. It was maddening. Almost immediately after buying a shampoo without SLS my problems were gone. Its a pretty common problem and there are more and more shampoos without SLS coming onto the market.

I think mine might be a sensitivity to hard water.
I've had bumps all over my legs, arms and chest as far back as I can remember..plus pretty bad dandruff ever since I was old enough to really get it.

When I was down in Tennessee for my sister's wedding I showered twice in the cabin we rented just using the cheap little toiletries the cabin had. After those 2 showers my dandruff was all but gone and my bumps were cleared up. Not the softest water around by way softer than the stuff we have here.

Came back home..used the shower here..all came back.

I think it comes down more to technique than product. I used to have dandruff years ago, and the dandruff shampoos didn't really help. What helped is vigorously massaging the scalp while shampooing with my fingertips (not nails). You really want to focus on cleaning the scalp, not just the hair. ......

I agree with the main substance of this post, too. I'm using Mystic Waters shampoo bar, but I'm definitely washing my SCALP, not my hair (obviously the hair is getting washed, too, but I focus my attention on the scalp).

I think it is a combination of the product and the technique. Using a shampoo bar and washing the scalp have done wonders for me.

I saw some enthusiasm for Nizoral shampoo. I used to have to use that. Nizoral is an anti-fungal. When you get bad seborrhea on the scalp it is usually accompanied by the growth of a fungus called Malassezia furfur. For a number of years people thought that the fungus CAUSED the seborrhea, but now most dermatologists think that the seborrhea produces a nice environment for the fungus. Then the growth of the fungus probably causes some inflammation, which worsens the seborrhea, making it better for the fungus, etc., etc. Kind of a vicious cycle. And the Nizoral stops that cycle. So it works pretty well; better than other anti-dandruff shampoos for me, too, back when I used dandruff shampoos.

I think what you guys aren't understanding is that rather than trying to choose which is the best dandruff shampoo, many of you could probably just get rid of your dandruff by switching to a shampoo bar. Then you wouldn't need any dandruff shampoo, let alone the "best" one.

And ultimately I think it is better to avoid a problem in the first place than to treat it well when it has developed.

I ordered a QCS shampoo bar after reading other responses to this thread. I used it for the first time yesterday and really liked it. I'm going to try it for a while and see how it goes.

Trying a mystic waters shampoo bar.
Ketoconazole wasn't cutting it anymore.

Also trying a body soap for the first time in years. Also MW.
One day in and liking.

I personally do not know if I can justify the high prices for body soap because I use it fairly quickly. I can, however, convince myself that an expensive bar for shampoo will be okay. I just have to work at myself a bit more before I decide what scent to order!

Bump.

4 weeks in I discover that whatever is causing my flaking scalp, it is not SLS.:nonod:
Back to the Ketoconazole and drawing board for me.

Having said that....
Loved the MW shampoo scent and feel on the hair.
Also loved and will keep the MW body soap.

+1 on the Nizoral, or other shampoos containing ketoconazole. Alternatively, you can try a shampoo with piroctone olamine, or ciclopirox. Those are all anti-fungal agents that reduce the yeast population that is causing the inflammation and scaling in sensitive people. Tea trea oil shampoos might also have a (milder) effect.

+1 on the Nizoral, or other shampoos containing ketoconazole. Alternatively, you can try a shampoo with piroctone olamine, or ciclopirox. Those are all anti-fungal agents that reduce the yeast population that is causing the inflammation and scaling in sensitive people. Tea trea oil shampoos might also have a (milder) effect.

Thanks! - just placed an order for a Piroctone shampoo from UK.

I used a bunch of dandruff shampoos, but continued to have an itchy scalp and flakes. I then used a tea tree shampoo (whatever brand they sell at Target) and it cleared everything up while also smelling awesome (if you like peppermint). I use it daily and it keeps my scalp itch and flake free.

Josh

Also, my swmbo said fresh lemon juice on the scalp helps. So we tried it one day, she squeezed lemons on my head. I can't really definitively say one way or another if it helped, but I did smell lemony fresh.

Bump.

4 weeks in I discover that whatever is causing my flaking scalp, it is not SLS.:nonod:
Back to the Ketoconazole and drawing board for me.

Having said that....
Loved the MW shampoo scent and feel on the hair.
Also loved and will keep the MW body soap.

Just a shampoo bar isn't helping me much either.

I used a bunch of dandruff shampoos, but continued to have an itchy scalp and flakes. I then used a tea tree shampoo (whatever brand they sell at Target) and it cleared everything up while also smelling awesome (if you like peppermint). I use it daily and it keeps my scalp itch and flake free.

Josh
Along with my shampoo bar order from Chagrin Valley, I commented that I was looking for an anti-dandruff shampoo, and they sent me a sample of their Neem & Tea Tree shampoo. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I will tomorrow to see if it can clear up my problem. It looks like I will be able to tell if it works within a few days.

A few months ago I switched to Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength and it's been working pretty good. No more flakes & itching, at least, for now. Much better results than the shampoo bars, regular H&S and other dandruff shampoos I've tried.

which is the best brand of tea tree shampoo to get?

It hasn't mattered for me. I have used the following two which you can find numerous places:

Paul Mitchell
proxy.php

and

Organix Brand
proxy.php

Josh

Top Bottom