What's new

Recommend first fountain pen

My standard reply to this question is to get a Pelikan M200 from a "nibmeister" such as Richard Binder or John Mottishaw. Nib width is, of course, a matter of personal preference but a safe place to start is F (fine). (Pelikan Fs tend to run more toward medium, anyway.) The advantage of ordering from a master nib restorer is that they test the nibs to ensure that they're free from problems like skipping or starving (where the ink stops flowing to the nib). They can also customize the flow of the pen anywhere from dry as bones to the proverbial fire hose. There are many gorgeous looking FPs out there, but you won't find any more reliable than a Pelikan, IMO. Fool-proof piston-fill mechanism, interchangeable nibs, large ink capacity -- all-around excellent writing instruments.

I keep an eye out on Richard Binders http://www.richardspens.com "Pen Show Tray". They sell out fast so click quickly on the first of the month. :laugh:
I have quite a few fountain pens but my favorites are my Parker Vacumatics and Parker 51.
The good thing about Richards pen show tray is he has reconditioned them and tuned the nibs. A fountain pen tuned by a master makes all the difference.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I cannot suggest the Lamy. I have used them, have them and they are not my go to. I have seen and worked on too many with issues with the nib. For someone new to pens, this is not something you should have to worry about dealing with. They skip too much/ have ink flow issues, nibs need work. For that price range I may suggest the TWSBI. However, the section is a tad short, thus making the grip feel a little odd, IMO. YMMV.

For much less, and to get started I would suggest looking at the Pilot 78G's. They're about $10 shipped on eh? bay!. You can try various nibs, too. Durable, great writers, no issues. So, for what you'd spend on a Lamy, you get 3 78 G's. Get a fine point, medium point and Bold point.

I cannot suggest the Lamy. I have used them, have them and they are not my go to. I have seen and worked on too many with issues with the nib. For someone new to pens, this is not something you should have to worry about dealing with. They skip too much/ have ink flow issues, nibs need work. For that price range I may suggest the TWSBI. However, the section is a tad short, thus making the grip feel a little odd, IMO. YMMV.

For much less, and to get started I would suggest looking at the Pilot 78G's. They're about $10 shipped on eh? bay!. You can try various nibs, too. Durable, great writers, no issues. So, for what you'd spend on a Lamy, you get 3 78 G's. Get a fine point, medium point and Bold point.

I actually forgot about the 78g. I absolutely can not say enough about those little gems. Great nibs, good flow, and very low on the dough meter.:thumbup:

I would recommend going to Franklin Covey and purchasing their fountain pen (under $20.00 US) and trying it out, or purchase a cross pen from them (around $35.00). You can also find Parker pens as a set (extra ink, cleaning cloth, ink converter to be able to use bottled inks) at Office Max and Office Depot for around $50.00.

If you like these like I do you will soon be looking for the nicer pens to use.

Dave

IMO you have to go to a pen shop for your first pen. I made the mistake of buying 4 cheap china made pens on line when i started using a fountain pen and HATED everyone of them. As luck would have it a year later i ran across a Montblanc at work that my buddy let me use all day and realized what a fountain pen should be. I now have 2 Montblanc, 1 Lamy Safari and a Parker 51. Out of all of them i find myself bragging about the 51 most. I love the fact it was 1/10th the price of my MB and writes so well and that it was made in 1948 and still works.

For a first pen (not the ultimate pen, or the prettiest pen) I would recommend the Waterman Phileas (currently available new on the Net though out of production).

It is good looking enough, very reliable writing and working, easy to come by, reasonably priced and best of all, pretty close to smack dab in the middle of the FP world. You can go more modern, more retro, cheaper, more expensive, etc but you get a feel for the middle of the pack.

+1 on the Lamy Safari. I have both the standard and the aluminum ones (AL Star). Both write very well, but the aluminum ones feel slightly more substantial.

Also +1 on the Pilot 78G. This pen is a little lightweight and slightly cheap looking to be honest, but it writes incredibly smoothly and is a great value. Check out the Fountain Pen Network site for many rave reviews on this pen.

Chinese pens (Hero) can be real hit or miss. Some of them are amazing, and others are real dogs. Roll the dice if you feel lucky.

If you're sure you're a fountain pen kind of person and don't need a "starter" pen, the Japanese Sailor fountain pens are very, very nice. Much more expensive than a Safari, but you get what you pay for. Personally, I would choose a good Sailor over any Montblanc any day.

I have a Rotring Initial that is my daily pen. It rides in a pannier, to and from work in all weather and flies on business trips and never leaks. It is a little finicky on inks (some don't flow well) but otherwise it is delightful and not expensive.

Top Bottom