What's new

Recommend first fountain pen

I like the Jinhao pens too, they write well. Waterman Phileas is a pretty good pen for a beginner.
I would caution you about buying a used pen, someone that has used the pen before you has gotten the nib broken in to suit their hand, and it may not write well for you, due to differences in the angle that you hold the pen, the pressure you use, and several different other variables. For the same reason, you should not loan your fountain pen to anyone else.

Last edited:
I like Pelican fountain pens, I have a Lamy, a couple Rotrings and an Aurora. Stop by a pen shop if one is available and just check out what is available. A good pen store will let you experiment with different pens to see what is your heart's desire.

My standard reply to this question is to get a Pelikan M200 from a "nibmeister" such as Richard Binder or John Mottishaw. Nib width is, of course, a matter of personal preference but a safe place to start is F (fine). (Pelikan Fs tend to run more toward medium, anyway.) The advantage of ordering from a master nib restorer is that they test the nibs to ensure that they're free from problems like skipping or starving (where the ink stops flowing to the nib). They can also customize the flow of the pen anywhere from dry as bones to the proverbial fire hose. There are many gorgeous looking FPs out there, but you won't find any more reliable than a Pelikan, IMO. Fool-proof piston-fill mechanism, interchangeable nibs, large ink capacity -- all-around excellent writing instruments.

You guys suck! :lol:

I've been looking at pens for a while, but didn't want to start up another collection expecially since I assumed the decent ones were all really expensive (they're pens after all). Oh, no... Great pens can be had for reasonable prices (that's like telling this fat kid that the chocolate is good for him :lol:). Thanks for sucking me in.

Seriously, these are great recommendations for a total pen noob. Thanks -

I'm only getting one. I'm only getting one. I'm only getting one. or maybe two...

I feel the same way mgiah. Thanks for all the feedback guys. A friend has a Lamy that I've tried out. I like the looks, and the idea of something vintage (all mt DE's are vintage, I'm that guy). I don't know much about fountain pens though and don't want to get one that is beyond my skills for upkeep.

I'll probably end up with a couple, but have one that is my "go to" pen.

Looks like I've got some homework now checking out all the recommendations you guys have made!

Thanks!!

I feel the same way mgiah. Thanks for all the feedback guys. A friend has a Lamy that I've tried out. I like the looks, and the idea of something vintage (all mt DE's are vintage, I'm that guy). I don't know much about fountain pens though and don't want to get one that is beyond my skills for upkeep.

I'll probably end up with a couple, but have one that is my "go to" pen.

Looks like I've got some homework now checking out all the recommendations you guys have made!

Thanks!!

Waterman Phileas are available new or vintage.They are a good workhorse FP. I am on my second one. The first one was my companion for years, before I lost it in the airport in SF. My current one was bought via the bay, and is old enough to have the nicer marble patterns in the barrel.

Vintage pens are good as well. Even the no-name fountain pens of the 1930s can be good writers, if the ink sacs are replaced.

I just got this in the mail: Dark green and black marble effect, two tone gold plated nib, and loaded with Noodler's Ellis Island Blue. She writes beautifully!

As a first pen, I would recommend either a vintage Parker 45, or a Lamy Safari.

Also, look into Hero. I know they're Chinese but I've never gotten a bad one and they are cheap as chips. I keep 3 of them inked in my bag at all times just in case and, at about $3 a piece, If one falls out of my bag or pocket and hits the sidewalk, I'm not out a ton of cash like I would be with the ones I keep in my case(Montblanc, Parker, Waterman, Scheaffer, etc.)

Check out ISellPens, no affiliation but Todd is a great guy to deal with and his prices are reasonable.

If you want to have a look at some vintage pens and higher end stuff, check out Richard's Pens. Again, no affiliation, just a very satisfied customer for years.

Also, look into Hero. I know they're Chinese but I've never gotten a bad one and they are cheap as chips. I keep 3 of them inked in my bag at all times just in case and, at about $3 a piece, If one falls out of my bag or pocket and hits the sidewalk, I'm not out a ton of cash like I would be with the ones I keep in my case(Montblanc, Parker, Waterman, Scheaffer, etc.)

On the bay you can get a ten pack of Hero 616's shipped and delivered for $15.

Ok, now Brian is going to need to call EMS. At least no one has called the Parker 51, a Hero 616 clone... yet... :lol:

On the bay you can get a ten pack of Hero 616's shipped and delivered for $15.

Ok, now Brian is going to need to call EMS. At least no one has called the Parker 51, a Hero 616 clone... yet... :lol:

I now have to disappear to the bay for a while and hunt down even cheaper Chinese pens. :lol:

I'll go ahead and get it out of the way, why did Parker copy a Chinese design back in the 50's. :lol:

First the controversial part:

Don't buy it online - for two reasons.
1. You really need to give it a spin before you buy it - are you a fine nib person or a medium nib? Converter or Piston Fill? Do you know how to use a fountain pen? The guy at your local pen store can help you sort all of this out ink a dozen pens for you and let you pick.

2. If you don't buy from him he won't be there when you really need him for warranty support, ink, etc. It will be more expensive full stop. I usually pay MSRP minus ten percent or so at my local shop, probably ten percent more than you could get it online.

3. It's fun - I rarely get out of my local pen shop in under 45 minutes even if I'm just buying ink or paper. We chat about what's new I try some new pens (even if we both know that there is no way I can afford them) etc.

Now - for your first pen.

My first was a waterman carene - 5 years, 6 countries, and a dozen bottles of ink later it is beaten abused and still writes like a dream. ($250)

I have a lamy safari that writes well, less soul than the waterman but it was cheap and if I'm going somewhere and afraid of losing it/dropping it I take the lamy. ($30)

I also recently bought a Visconti Wall Street. Excellent pen, beautiful celluloid body, temperamental sometimes but full of soul and a true joy to write with. ($500)

It all depends on your budget - honestly I would go for the two hundred dollar range if you can afford it right now - you'll get a nice pen with a story but that is rugged and a workhorse. The Lamy is a good pen but you'll quickly outgrow it.

Nathan

I would start with a Lamy Safari because they are cheap and if writing with a fountain pen agrees with you, spring for something nice like a Pelikan M 800 or a Parker 51.

I agree with your remarks completely! I've been using a Pelikan M800 for years now (OM nib) and it's the best fountain pen I've owned... And I've owned quite a few... I joined B&B "to get away from" The Fountain Pen Network and yet now it seems that fountain pens are inescapable phenomena! :001_rolle

By the way, I can't recommend The Fountain Pen Network enough if you're looking for information on the subject! Visit the site and have a look around, very nice people, much like B&B...

Just to add to your confusion over a choice, I'd go with a Parker 21. It's a more inexpensive version of the venerable Parker 51, and writes nearly as well.

I doubt you could go wrong with anything suggested here though.

Be sure and check out the TWSBI pens. They are about $40 delivered. I have a handful of nice pens and the TWSBI gets used everyday. Its tough enough to be able to take being dropped into a pocket, it holds a lot of ink which is important for me. The extra fine nib is much finer then the extra fine nibs on my Lamy or my Pelican 215 and the fine Nib on my Pilot Vanishing Point. All in all I couldn't be much happier with this pen. I'm just waiting for the vacuum filler to come out so I can order anther TWSBI.

Ok

First of all lamy safaris are as other people on this thread have said, cheap, write well and cartridges are easily available.

Parker fountain pens aren't bad, something like a jotter, vector or even a frontier would do the job and are cheap too, keep in mind though that the nibs, imho are slightly more scratchy to write with than the lamys but ymmv.

Sheaffers are pretty good but are expensive. Your looking at £30.00 to £40.00 for a cheap one, as you would for a waterman.

If your starting off, get a safari or a parker and take it from there, you do really need to try before you buy if possible in order to see if it'll work for you. I used to work in an independent stationary shop and the manager would keep several different types of fountian pens as demonstrators behind the counter in order for people to try.

Hope this helps

Be sure and check out the TWSBI pens. They are about $40 delivered. I have a handful of nice pens and the TWSBI gets used everyday. Its tough enough to be able to take being dropped into a pocket, it holds a lot of ink which is important for me. The extra fine nib is much finer then the extra fine nibs on my Lamy or my Pelican 215 and the fine Nib on my Pilot Vanishing Point. All in all I couldn't be much happier with this pen. I'm just waiting for the vacuum filler to come out so I can order anther TWSBI.

I am planning on trying out a TWSBI - hopefully there will be a NY Fountain Pen Show, and they will be back...

If you want to go new I would suggest Waterman Philleas for around $50 or a Noodler's with a ink for about $20.
If you want to go vintage a Parker 51 or 45 are good routes to take. Sheaffer Nonsense.
I collect both vintage and modern. You can pm for any other questions.

The best pen for a beginner? Pilot Vanishing Point. Great daily writer, easy to carry and easy to you. With all other pens you have to uncap to write and re-cap when finished. You may tire of this. With the Vanishing Point you can handle it just as if it was a ball point. With older pens such as the Parker 51 you have to be careful about using inks such as Noodler's and replacing old parts.

As has been suggested the best thing to do is to go to a local pen store and try out various models.

Also note the following:

Each companies pens write different. Mont Blanc are well known for being "wet" writers while the Pilots are drier. Inks are different also. Noodler's is a very lubricating, free flowing ink that results in "nib creep" in a number of brands. Aurora is a quick drying ink.

There is NO one best pen for beginners, only what is best for you. There is no way to know but to go sample them.

My pens:

Pilot Vanishing Point
Nakaya Piccolo
Waterman Le Man 100
Parker 51

I've tried a handful of pens around the $30-$40 mark and I love the Lamy All-Star. Same pen as the Safari, but in Aluminum instead of plastic. My fiance has a pink plastic Safari and I have a coffee brown aluminum All-Star.

Noodler's Sequoia in mine, it is like writing with a tree.

Top Bottom