What's new

Re-scaling and honing

I am petitioning somebody out there for a job of sorts. I just purchased a Wade and Butcher (see pics here) and since it has a crack on one of the scales, I was wanting to just get it rescaled. Since I've never shaved once with a straight I also am needing it honed.

Since I'm a complete noob with this, if I'm asking for something that is outlandish or not worth the time for someone, just let me know! :smile:

Is there a source for pins and burrs for straight razors? Many years ago, probably when I was just breaking into my teen years, I made new scales and re-pinned them onto my grandfathers razor which had a broken handle. I made my own pins out of copper wire and burrs out of flattened wire that I drilled and spun on a mandrel to get them round. I recently bought a new razor with nifty rosewood handles which truthfully are pretty wretched examples of the hafters art. With agreement of the seller, I'm returning the razor for replacement as the blade looks really nice.

But getting back to doing one's own handles - what I see as the hard part is getting some proper nickel silver pins and burrs (the copper pins on Grandpa's razor were functional, but green really looks better on a gutters) - so any advice there will be greatly appreciated.

cheers, Bruce

This past weekend I rescaled one of my blades using the $10 scale package from Classic. I reviewed Bill's DVD and it was really easy and simple. All you need to work on is the pivot pin. The front pin is already in place. If you need any help pm me. The job can be done with tools you probably already have in your tool box.

Here are the new black scales with my J.A. Henckel

proxy.php

Raf

I didn't know ClassicShaving offered those kits. Those look nice on your razor, by the way. What tool(s) did you need to insert the pin?

Small hammer or a punch hammer. The pin just slides in using very very light taps. If you can tap your finger without hurting that is all the force you need very very light taps. Btw make sure you hit the pin and not the scales:biggrin: The hardest part was putting the collar on the other side. Those things are very small. They fit very tight on the pin. Once the pin was in place I took the smallest socket from my sets and pushed the collar down until it was in place.

Raf

Top Bottom