What's new

Honing frequency: Modern outlook?

that slightly painful tugging
That’s a very clear sign the edge is not good enough.

Besides,
I had a professional barber shave me with a straight and even that wasn't particularly comfortable. It just felt tuggy
I would not expect a good and smooth shave from a barber. They are not fanatics in getting their edges sharp and comfortable. Their job is to shave, not to spend time honing on expensive stones. If their edges are half decent (or maybe even below), that will do it for them.

Legion

Staff member
I buy more hones than razors these days, and I always have one or two waiting to be tested. Since I like to have a few days of growth to properly test a finishing stone, it aways seems to take for ever to get around to them and the queue is getting longer.

Shaving is just a way of testing my hones.

That’s a very clear sign the edge is not good enough.

Besides,

I would not expect a good and smooth shave from a barber. They are not fanatics in getting their edges sharp and comfortable. Their job is to shave, not to spend time honing on expensive stones. If their edges are half decent (or maybe even below), that will do it for them.
An understandable assumption that's been made many times. That's even what I assumed to the the issue at first....but it's not. Again, I've thoroughly exhausted this possibility. I've sent half a dozen rather nice razors to twice as many honemeisters. Most from this forum, some on shaveden and some from non forum sources....all of them of high repute. Mind you, my father in law and brother in law are able to shave with them just fine just as they're able to shave with my own edges. I'm alat able to shave my head with them, just not the facial whiskers... not comfortably, regarding of prep. Jnat, coti, synthetic finishers and so forth were all exploded from multiple sources...even had razors sent back pre-stropped to remove that variable, though I am confident in my stropping. I'm sure straights can work for most people, but there's great variation among the beards of individual men so the existence of people like me aren't anomalous.

And person usually doesn't have to be a fanatic to do their job. This barber was a successful professional who has been doing this, presumably, for many years. People have been shaving with straights for hundreds of years, the huge majority I'm sure we can assume were not fanatics with special stones and internet forums.. His blade didn't feel any better or worse than the edges from the forums giants.

Last edited:
An understandable assumption that's been made many times. That's even what I assumed to the the issue at first....but it's not. Again, I've thoroughly exhausted this possibility. I've sent half a dozen rather nice razors to twice as many honemeisters. Most from this forum, some on shaveden and some from non forum sources....all of them of high repute. Mind you, my father in law and brother in law are able to shave with them just fine just as they're able to shave with my own edges. I'm alat able to shave my head with them, just not the facial whiskers... not comfortably, regarding of prep. Jnat, coti, synthetic finishers and so forth were all exploded from multiple sources...even had razors sent back pre-stropped to remove that variable, though I am confident in my stropping. I'm sure straights can work for most people, but there's great variation among the beards of individual men so the existence of people like me aren't anomalous.

And person usually doesn't have to be a fanatic to do their job. This barber was a successful professional who has been doing this, presumably, for many years. People have been shaving with straights for hundreds of years, the huge majority I'm sure we can assume were not fanatics with special stones and internet forums.. His blade didn't feel any better or worse than the edges from the forums giants.
There was a guy who called him self Brown Man Shaves on YouTube. He does not have any videos available now though.
He had a really though beard. He compared different grinds and edges honed but Dr. Matt.
The only razor he could get through his beard was a big Brian Brown razor with a stiff grind.

There was a guy who called him self Brown Man Shaves on YouTube. He does not have any videos available now though.
He had a really though beard. He compared different grinds and edges honed but Dr. Matt.
The only razor he could get through his beard was a big Brian Brown razor with a stiff grind.
Yes! I've spoken with him several times! Very valuable source of information as his experiences mirrored mine exactly. His guidance introduced me to thicker grinds being more accommodating to course hair. He was the only who made me realize I was not crazy.

Top Bottom