What's new

Razors for beginners

I recommend you to get a Merkur Progress. The most versatile de ever. You can start milder settings like 1 and 2. My opinion is Progress' 1.5/2 setting is nearly same with Edwin Jagger. 2.5 setting is closer to Merkur 34C.
You wont need another de anymore.

I started with a EJ89 and have been very happy with it. Tried a couple blade sampler packets and for me the Polsilver SI has been the best so far.

I've use most of the post war Gillette designs already recomended, the Schick Krona (a highly underrated razor), and Weishi when I first started. I can tell you all the new and vintage recommended razors will work for a beginner. It looks like you need to sift through what info been given and decide either:

New or Vintage and then $/price point you want to be in.

Then you can refine whats been given so far and pick a razor that fits the bill.

When I started, I was short on time and took a trip to AoS. For whatever reason, I thought the Mühle R106 looked like some good average choice. It turned out it was, and it is often recommended for beginners. It is a fairly mild precision-made razor. My only disappointment in it was a less than perfect grip on the faux ebony handle, but the R89 is essentially the same razor with a knurled handle. The smooth handle never caused any problems like dropping the razor, it was just a matter of comfort. I later upped to an aggressive R41 with a knurled handle, but being a bit OCD I choose not to switch the handle between heads and I switch between the razors as it suits me. With daily growth, the shave quality is not that different between the two, and I had to re-learn to avoid cuts with the R41. An aggressive razor gives the most advantage for several days growth, or for men with thick beards.
As the Mühles are a bit pricey, you may look at Parker, which is of decent quality and quite a step up from the Weishi variants like VDH and Micro Touch One. The Parker 71R appears to have a forgiving closed-comb design similar to my 106C. Parker's equivalent to a more aggressive next-step would be the 24C and 26C. Most Parker offerings are available for just under $30, about half the price of Mühle. Many vendors offer starter kits including build-your-own setups. Maggardrazors seems to have an easy-to-use starter kit page with several budget ranges.

I started with a merkur 23c, it's a great razor. I also have a black handle super speed and a krona, I find myself reaching for the super speed most often.

I know you will read several posts but the best razor for the price is the RazoRock Mission for $20. Comes with 20 quality blades and has a solid brass handle. The DE89 and the Merkur razors have hollow handles.

Maggard Razors are also around $20 and come with a Stainless handle but the head quality isn't on the same level as RazoRock and it doesn't come with any blades.

[I know you will read several posts but the best razor for the price is the RazoRock Mission for $20. Comes with 20 quality blades and has a solid brass handle. ]

I just bought the RR Classic Long Handle (Mission head and longer handle) and it is incredibly mild, yet leaves absolutely no razor burn. I would highly recommend this razor to anyone looking for a mild razor. It's beautiful, nicely finished and I can guarantee you will not chop your face up with it!

Lots of good info here.
Looking to buying my first razor.
I'm torn between the Parker 22r and EJ89. Seems like almost everyone recommends the ej89. Any reason not to go with the 22r? I think I just like the looks of the parker.

EJ 89 is the best. I found with most Murker razors that you need to be very careful when you install the blade. It has a problem getting the blade centered and even on both sides. Only one that worked right is my Futur.

EJ 89 is the best. I found with most Murker razors that you need to be very careful when you install the blade. It has a problem getting the blade centered and even on both sides. Only one that worked right is my Futur.

Well I just order a EJ 89.
Also needs a brush so I picked a parker silvertip brush.

The Ej DE89 was my first razor. Good quality and great value. That being said the merkur 34c is also a great razor to start with. These IMO are the best two razors to start with, you may never need another one:)

Top Bottom