What's new

Razors for beginners

I learned on the EJ DE 89 but after trying many vintage razors I think that the Schick Krona would make a good one to try out too. I can use bad technique and still no nicks.

If I was starting over again I might go with an Injector. The more recent ones or adjustables are fairly mild and the handles are similar to many current cartridge razors so shaving with them feels familiar. If you definitely want a DE then there are a # of choices, but I'd probably start with something mild and inexpensive like a Feather Popular or for vintage a Schick Krona. I started with a Merkur Progress which really wasn't a bad choice as the adjustability allowed me to start very mild and then experiment, but they cost more.

+1 - that is all.

+2
I've got a EJ 89 with the Barley handle (slightly longer handle and lightly gnarled) and it's a nice razor. I bought a Merkur long handled first, and while it's a good razor, the EJ is better imho, and it's got a much better looking finish.

To clarify things for you, 89 is a DE head used by Edwin jagger & Muhle. A EJ 89 & a Muhle 89 are basically the same razor put out by two different companies.

Last edited:
Well, there you have it. Too many recommendations suggested by well meaning members. Their advice is all good, but you will have to make the decision for yourself.

Here is my personal opinion. I have two razors EJ DE87 and Gillette Slim. I like them both. I recommend that you try an adjustable razor, like the Slim, because it is many razors in one. Start out with a mild setting (like 2 or 3) and adjust to a more aggressive setting as your technique improves. Eventually you will find the best setting for yourself.

Welcome aboard and happy shaving.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Don't rule out using an adjustable like the Gillette Slim. You can adjust the blade gap as you become more experienced. A one stop shop.

I started out with a EJ89 as well and it's a fantastic razor. I just bought a Merkur 34c and I honestly like it more. It's actually becoming my favorite razor.

After a lot of research my first and only DE is a Lord L6, and it just keeps getting better and better as my technique does. I've been shaving with a DE since December and don't see much of a reason anymore to upgrade as all my limitations seem to be based on technique.

Point is buy a decent razor and master it. So far from what everyone has listed I have heard good things about it for the most part in terms of reviews.

thanks guys, i appreciate all your help. I am going with the Merkur 34c. And then from there see how that does and maybe get something down the line but it looks like a nice piece and something i can introduce to my kids in the future.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'd go with a vintage Gillette Tech, if you want a 3-piece. If you want a 1-piece (TTO), then I'd go with a vintage Gillette Super Speed ('40s style, if you can find a decent one for a decent price). These days, you can usually find a decent Super Speed for around $20 and a decent Tech for less than that.

The Merkur 34c is a pretty good razor, but I must admit that I am not much of a fan. I have one, but I've not picked it up since getting into the vintage Gillettes. They also tend to cost more than the vintage Gillettes that already have withstood the test of time and will continue to so with minimal care.

I've heard lots of good things about that Edwin Jagger DE89, but I've yet to shave with one. Again, though, for less than the price of the EJ, you can get a quite decent vintage Gillette.

34c is a great razor. I took the little retaining ring out of mine for easier cleaning. But I use it at least twice a week. Considering I have like 45 razors, that says alot.

My first razor was the Edwin Jagger DE89 lined handle, such a great razor and its still in my regular rotation ... I recently added a SS Weber handle that made it even better
In the Merkurs my favorites is the slant bar 39c, it is exceptionally smooth and never fails to give me a near BBS after only 2 passes with zero irritation ... I had the 34c but didn't care for the short handle even though its a great razor

I started with a Merkur 34c (HD) and used it exclusively for about sixteen months or so. My next step was to get a moderately aggressive open-comb razor.

My learning curve appears to have been longer than most. Nowadays, the Merkur remains my no-brain shaver: the tool to use when I want an easy shave without having to be super careful. My favorite blade for the 34c starting out was Voskhod (quite forgiving), but my new favorites for it are Astra Superior Platinum and Gillette Nacet.

Remember that learning to build a proper lather is just as important as what brand of razor you buy. This is something I didn't fully appreciate for a long time, and I wish I had spent more time at practicing it early on.

If you do eventually find yourself with an obsession with baby-butt-smooth shaves, you'll probably eventually want something more aggressive. But the Merkur will serve you quite well.

vintage Gillette Tech is one nice, easy to find, affordable, comfortable and easy to use razor....and nice and mild

DE89 or Merkur 34c - its a coin flip. I have both and like both. I learned with the Edwin Jagger and I think you would be happy with it. The Gillette Tech is also an affordable option and is a very smooth shaver IMO. Yes there are lots of choices out there.

Welcome to the forum and Best of Luck! :001_smile

ps - I'm sure we are all very keen to know what the final decision is.....:wink2:

Last edited:
Top Bottom