What's new

Razors for beginners

Hi i was wondering what are a razor handle and head to look for?i hear people talk about the open comb, aggressive. i dont know what to look into or what to get maybe you guys can help me out.

Last edited:
Merkur 34c. Great beginner razor. Also, being an open comb razor does not inherently mean its more aggressive. The Parker 24c or 26c is a decent open comb razor for the price and is moderately forgiving for a heavier razor.

Gillette is known for their gentle shaves.
Find one of their TTO razors in the style you like.
I currently have three.
They all shave smoothly and I don't get any razor burn.

A twist-to-open (TTO) razor is and excellent place to start, and are generally on the mild side. Once you get your technique down, aggressiveness is really a matter of personal preference, not something you work up to.
Welcome to B&B!

Hi i was wondering what area razor handle and head to look for?i hear people talk about the open comb, aggressive. i dont know what to look into or what to get maybe you guys can help me out.
What is meant by a "beginner's razor"?
I would think you want a razor that gives a smooth efficient nonirritating shave. That's what I want and I have been shaving 56 years. My go to razors are the Gillette New and my slants like the 39c/37c Merkurs. I have always felt that beginners should start with the best razors. That is the way I started both my sons.

Gus

I have used open-comb razors, they are not necessarily more aggressive or harsh to shave with.

I would get a Weishi or Gillette Tech if you want a beginner's DE razor. Some Superspeeds are also fine.

Some of the injectors or GEM razors are even easier to shave with. Anything from the 1960's onward is generally OK there.

Mekur 41c is a very mild open comb razor that shaves closer than DE89. Excellent for beginners. You could start with smoother blades like Astra/Personna and when you feel comfortable, try something sharper like Polsilver/Feather.

I second the EJ DE89. Was my first razor and is a great one. Amazing quality, top brand, reliable, not aggressive at all. Got me hooked on wet shaving from the first stroke!

Find yourself a Schick Krona on eBay. It's a twist to open style razor and nice and mild. I almost exclusively use this razor.

I started with EJ89, then merkur 34c ( kind of wish I would have started with the 34c, for me it is more mild than the EJ but YMMV.
also vintage gillettes are good, tech, superspeed, slim (adjustable so might be a good pick because it's many shavers in one).

Find yourself a Schick Krona on eBay. It's a twist to open style razor and nice and mild. I almost exclusively use this razor.

When I sold off a lot of my DE collection, I kept the Kronas I had because they were such good razors. Just as good as the Superspeed, maybe even better. I also kept the Techs.

I don't really collect razors unless its something I like to shave with.

+ 1 the Shick Krona is a great razor to start with, and keep using, the head design makes it easy to get the correct angle and gives little, if any, irritation. Make sure to use a sharp blade like and Astra SP or Personna Blue.

I started with a Parker 22R. It was the only razor I owned for several years, and I still use it today. For a good all around workhorse, and at the price, you can't go wrong. The EJ 89 is milder, and really a fun razor to shave with. There are so many good choices, hard to give a "case closed" answer.

Either Jagger DE89 or Merkur 34c. Both available on Amazon and often Ebay. I learned DE on Merkur 34c. I believe if you search the boards here, you will find those are the two most highly recommended and satisfactory for starting.

If you have money to blow, get the Above the Tie set and start experimenting (I'd recommend starting with M1 if only one). Or get the Feather AS-D2.

Top Bottom