What's new

Razorock BBS AS for a beginners

Hello people I'm new to the wet shaving world, recently started shaving my head.
This is my set up I've got the razorock bbs as I already had one attempt and cut up my head a couple times not sure if it's due to the aggressiveness or due to poor technique as I'm new to this, my bbs standard plate arrives tomorrow so I'll see how that goes as it's milder than the as
So the rest of the stuff I got was all proraso
I got the proraso brush
Proraso shaving soap white(sensitive )
Proraso green aftershave
And finally tge proraso alum block
I will attach some pics
Snapchat-1196282960.jpg
Snapchat-575136921.jpg

Hello people I'm new to the wet shaving world, recently started shaving my head.
This is my set up I've got the razorock bbs as I already had one attempt and cut up my head a couple times not sure if it's due to the aggressiveness or due to poor technique as I'm new to this, my bbs standard plate arrives tomorrow so I'll see how that goes as it's milder than the as
I got the proraso brush
Proraso green aftershave
I will attach some pics View attachment 1791285View attachment 1791284

All good stuff.

I'm a head shaver and have never used a DE anywhere other than my face. 😄😄😄 I've stuck to SE razors for my head shaves, which somehow feel less threatening.

Either way, there is going to be a learning curve (and likely some blood loss), and possibly some trial and error to find a razor that suits you. The good news is that once your technique and experience level are up to snuff, you may find success with nearly any razor.

That's crazy straight razor on your head, I'm the opposite I'll use straight on my face just to line up my beard
Thanks for the feedback

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hello, I got both the BBS-A and the BBS-AS.

They are supposed to be mild, and the BBS-A doesn't ever nick me. The aggressive step (AS) plate though is terrible IMO.

It doesn't increase efficiency significantly but has much higher injury potential. I rather shave with my supposedly murderous Superslant L3++ OC than this one!

The BBS line isn't my favorite, but I heard good things about the BBS OC as well. I don't have the base BBS as it is a very mild plate, but I like the BBS A.

The stainless steel version of the Yaqi Mellon is my favorite for an efficient mild shave, though. If you want to spend some more money, Lambda Ares and Athena are not only pretty, they simply beat all of the razors I mentioned before.

Whatever, I hope you enjoy your BBS and no worries, getting nicked by the BBS AS is pretty easy, I think it doesn't quite fit into the otherwise safe and secure BBS line. And for more aggressive razors there are lots of better alternatives.

The forum is full of suggestions and inspiration, enjoy. 👍

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Welcome to B&B!

Ahh...the RazoRock BBS. A real study in the people side of razor manufacture, for sure. Back in the day -- and what day was that, anyway? -- they came out with this razor that had amazingly excellent clamping compared to some DEs out there. Not only that, but it was billed as intentionally a mild razor.

I was interested because from the pictures it looked like nearly the curvature of the Wunderbar but without the slanty bit. Cheap enough; and I needed to buy a couple handles anyway. I picked up a BBS and the OC plate, as I like an OC razor better than an SB.

Along the way the shaving community apparently generated a lot of feedback complaining the razor was mild. See above. :) The thing finally arrived and I gave it a whirl. (By then I was also hearing that the AS was a mistake.) And, yeah...I found the SB version too mild to shave with. I'm of the opinion that it would be an excellent starter razor but often such things get kicked to the curb once the basics are learned, which seems a sad fate for such a nice stainless razor.

The OC is almost too mild to shave with for me. A good razor to use when it's low humidity or my scalp's been damaged a bit by sun or overshaving.

That left me with an SB plate for which I had no present use, so I did something else I'd always wanted to do. I cut the bars out of it and made it into a devette. Heh...100 per cent bladefeel. I use it occasionally if I need some sort of a shave quickly -- I can get in and out of the Shave Cave in 10 minutes. It ain't pretty but then again neither am I. It is a shave.

My advice is: if you're looking for a little more action out of the BBS, go with the OC.

O.H.

That left me with an SB plate for which I had no present use, so I did something else I'd always wanted to do. I cut the bars out of it and made it into a devette. Heh...100 per cent bladefeel. I use it occasionally if I need some sort of a shave quickly -- I can get in and out of the Shave Cave in 10 minutes. It ain't pretty but then again neither am I. It is a shave.
That just sounds mildly dangerous! You would certainly know when you messed up.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
That just sounds mildly dangerous! You would certainly know when you messed up.

I've zapped myself a kajillion times with DEs, SEs, and shavettes. Oddly enough I have never gotten a nick from the devette. I'd like to credit Master-level mindfulness, but probably it's just dumb luck.

In a "Nod to the Mods" I'll also say that you're right; it is dangerous. Or at least it can be. While I don't encourage its use I'll also point out that devettes and half-siders are prominent parts of shaving history going back over 100 years.

To me it's a "T-handled shavette" -- works better than Western or kamisori style shavettes when I'm shaving my head. I can see what I'm doing.

O.H.

Not sure way you started with the AS. Have you tired the standard BBS.
I have both the A & AS, use them both depending on the stubble status. I do use the A more in the large rotation for a daily shaver. My big guess would be to your issue is to much pressure...
But try grabbing the standard plate.
BFX.
Always safer to learn bottom up then tip down.
Skills and Techniques comes first...
Not grabbing the big bat first
BFX

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Welcome to B&B, have some great shaves!
I do not head shave but once in a while I watch "Subie shaves" on youtube. Subie likes to stack 2 blades for a smoother head shave he claims and you could try that see what happens. I have stacked 2 blades together and it does smooth out the shave just face shaving(experimenting years ago.) Lots of fellows stack blades IMO. Seeing is believing! The RR BBS is a high curved razor head so you would use more a steep approach possibly + it is a milder razor from my understanding.

The head geometry is kind of based on the progress.

So I would suggest just getting a Merkur Progress. You can adjust the gap all the way up to the BBS AS plate setting and reduce it if you wish.

15 years and 80+ razors later, the blackbird and progress (plus a Mergress) are the only razors I've kept in my den!

I got the proraso brush
Proraso green aftershave
I will attach some pics View attachment 1791285View attachment 1791284
If you find the bbs as too aggressive I have the the all the other plates if you want to trade or I'll buy the plate off you

Hello, I got both the BBS-A and the BBS-AS.

They are supposed to be mild, and the BBS-A doesn't ever nick me. The aggressive step (AS) plate though is terrible IMO.

It doesn't increase efficiency significantly but has much higher injury potential. I rather shave with my supposedly murderous Superslant L3++ OC than this one!

The BBS line isn't my favorite, but I heard good things about the BBS OC as well. I don't have the base BBS as it is a very mild plate, but I like the BBS A.

The stainless steel version of the Yaqi Mellon is my favorite for an efficient mild shave, though. If you want to spend some more money, Lambda Ares and Athena are not only pretty, they simply beat all of the razors I mentioned before.

Whatever, I hope you enjoy your BBS and no worries, getting nicked by the BBS AS is pretty easy, I think it doesn't quite fit into the otherwise safe and secure BBS line. And for more aggressive razors there are lots of better alternatives.

The forum is full of suggestions and inspiration, enjoy. 👍
I will buy your bbs as plate if you want to sell it

Top Bottom