What's new

Razor & Brush rack / New shave bowl

Gentlemen: I made a rack to hold my razors and shaving brushes. The wood is an old Ikea mattress slat. I used cup hooks to hold the razors, eyelet hooks to mount the racks, and picture hangers to mount the rack These mounting items came from Ace hardware. Brushes are hanging from utility hooks from Container Store; I had to pinch the necks closer using channel lock pliers to adjust for the brush's varying handle widths. From left to right the razors are: 1) Gillette Tech Ball; 2) Gillette SS; 3) EJ DE8911; and 4) Van der Hagen (aka Micro Touch).

$Razor & Brush Rack.jpg

Sadly, I must announce the loss of my ceramic bowl I had been using. It slipped out of my hand while being rinsed, and broke into three pieces--no cuts or injuries. SWMBO donated an old salsa bowl. This picture shows tomorrow's (30 Dec 2014) shaving items.

SWMBO is VERY PLEASED with the less cluttered sink top, and having my shaving supplies better organized. I think she and the family are giving me a bottle of English Leather A/S for my 31 Dec birthday.

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen.

I put a Velcro band around my knots to keep the bristles from fraying after the brush dries. A DE shaving friend's wife works at a beauty salon supply company suggested this procedure.

Correct me of I'm wrong, but isn't that precisely what you want for a boar brush; split ends?

I was under the assumption that that is the best moment for a boar brush, is when the ends split and it becomes softer. Hell, I've been lathering and drying a crappy VDH brush over a heat vent for over a month attempting to get it to break in.

Still hasn't happened yet, I should add!
-Jared

You are probably correct! My friends wife deals with brushes for cosmetic(s) related applications. For now, I will take off the Velcro straps and let the brushes open up. Thanks for your excellent idea.

Top Bottom