What's new

Proof / Highproof Vs. Core Vs. Supply SE/Pro Vs. Twig

Can anyone offer comparisons between this group (esp. Highproof/Proof vs. Core)? I'm wanting to try one of these. Is there a consensus on which is/are best (disregarding ancillary issues like proprietary blades, etc.)

If Core is the OneBlade Core, it was pretty meh for me. I didn't care too much that there was no blade choice when buying it, but then the blades just wear out really quickly in the Core, and unless I hydrated my hair as much as I could, the shaves would be a bit rough.
The razor also struggled with more than a few days' worth of growth, with hair snagging on inside the head. I'd have to remove the blade and then they'd rinse out OK, but I found it annoying to do that after every few strokes.
I actually found th a fair bit nicer with a GEM spine tucked onto them in a GEM 1912.
Some people have had luck using despined GEM blades in the core after modification, but I've damaged the blade stops on mine trying that.
The OneBlade core was the worst of the lot for me.

I have the Highproof (i.e. the original) and it's good, though I find it unnecessarily wide near the blade edge. Also not as smooth a shaver as the Leaf.
The Leaf would be better, but its chunky head and construction with many mechanical elemements makes it a bit annoying to clean, and the back screws fail (but Leaf are great with their warranty and customer care).

I've had a Twig on loan, and it was pleasant, but the head around the blade was so thin that I couldn't quite feel the shape of it on the skin very well, so I had some trouble keeping the angle. Still, the shaves were as easy as with the pivoting head razors and smoother. The shaves weren't as close, but that was likely just due to me being unable to keep the angle as I should have.
I disliked the TTO mechanism and how the handle forces a particular grip due to the shape of the handle, so I didn't end up buying one for myself.

I haven't tried the Supply Pro, simply because I don't like adjustables much - I like to take razors apart for cleaning, and while one can do it with the Pro, it would be a PITA.

I have the Supply injector v1 and v2, and from all the razors I've mentioned in this post, they're my favourites. I bought the SE plate for them as well, and it's rather nice. A very similar design to the R41's comb, but milder.

Top Bottom