What's new

Post Your Pictures - Framebacks

A guess..
The Leader of edges/ Razors,
From the judging
Paris - London
Will not quit
The best of two cities.
And to screw it up further I have a listing of A Terrier Cutlery AkA: Robeson 1910-1916
Respectfully
~Richard

legion said:
As I make it out...

Le Chef des Tranchants
The Head of Edges
HORS - CONCOURS
HORS - CONCOURS
PARIS - LONDRES
PARIS - LONDON
TERRIERE
Hunting dog that won't quit
ACHEF BOJTO(?) DEUX - SEVRES

I think we are right on the meaning for Le Chef des Tranchants

I found a reference that said sharp edge for tranchants when refering to cutting tools.

I believe hors concours is a phrase similar to the play on words using letters like some of the Sheffield makers did. Such as IXL for I excel and NONXL for non excelled meaning there is no one better.

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861618776/hors_concours.html
hors con·cours [ àwr kawN kr ]

adjective

Definition: not competing: not participating in a competition or contest

[< French, "out of the competition"]

So in this case I think hors concours means that this razor's cutting edge is so good that there is no one that can compete against it. Pretty bold claim but maybe the OP can let us know how it stacks up against his other razors...

Some amazing looking razors here. What is it about a frameback that makes it a better shave? Why the mistique surrounding them?

I have only been straight shaving for 2 weeks, so I am a total newb.

Cheers,
Sean

Some amazing looking razors here. What is it about a frameback that makes it a better shave? Why the mistique surrounding them?

Cheers,
Sean
For me it's the stiffness of the blade combined with the ease of movement.
It's like a big wedge behaving as a 5/8 full hollow.
Plus they look darn cool & almost all of them has a feel& balance that fit my hands perfectly.

Cheers,
Sean

For me it's the stiffness of the blade combined with the ease of movement.
It's like a big wedge behaving as a 5/8 full hollow.
Plus they look darn cool & almost all of them has a feel& balance that fit my hands perfectly.

What Jens said. I'd add only that the stiff frame plus the thin blade gives you the best aspects of a wedge and a full hollow grind.

$nov 1 005.jpg

Wade and Butcher Two-Tone Frameback, 1890's

Legion

Staff member
Hmmm, just found this thread. Worth resurrecting, don't you think?

Received this JAQUES LECOULTRE AU SENTIER N.2 frameback today, will start cleaning then honing before I put it in the rotation.

I have almost the same with ivory scales. Nice razors.

Klas Törnblom faux frameback 5/8 rescaled in ivory (rescaling made by Scott :)

Attachments

• $Klas Törnblom 002.jpg
    $Klas Törnblom 002.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 218
  • $Klas Törnblom 003.jpg
    $Klas Törnblom 003.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 219
I apologize for the primitive pictures, but I too have a frameback. It appears to have been made by M Jean-Baptiste Guerre of Langres. Haven't done much to clean it up, and haven't shaved with it yet either. A bit on the history of the manufacturer -- Guerre included the cross of the Legion of Honour as well as the Imperial Crown in his hallmark after he was made a Knight of the Imperial Order of the Legion of Honor in 1855. The hallmark was modified again in 1862 when his son, Charles took over the family business, adding CH before GUERRE. So, I can pretty conclusively date this one back to between 1855 and 1862. I believe the scales are horn, could be wrong however. And I doubt the blade itself is truly Damascus steel, more likely an etched pattern.

View attachment 213013View attachment 213014

Top Bottom