What's new

Platinum blades. Not for me

So I was shaving earlier, for the first time ever with a Rapira Swedish Super Steel, and I thought it was excellent! But it hit me after the shave that all my shaves with standard steel blades, are miles better than Platinum blades, I can have a nice comfortable shave with blades like feathers, personna labs, even a derby, but adding a platinum blade like super max platinum or Astra SP's for example, I can have a good shave, but its almost guaranteed I'll have more irritation and in some cases weepers than I seem to with a steel, is this just me looking ontop things too much or is it actually plausible?

I am not a blade expert by any means, but I would say it's totally plausible. In fact for me it's just the opposite. That platinum coated blades feel much smoother to me. Every stainless blade I have tried feels rough on my skin. Classic case of YMMV!

Feathers are platinum coated too

proxy.php

For me I'm just the opposite as well ... The platinum coated blades ( specifically Astra SP) always provide me a smooth shave and no irritation in all 6 of my DE razors. But as a lot of shaving products go YMMV .. Everyone is different and has different skin types, facial hair types & shaving techniques
... And as a bonus the Astra SP's were less than .10¢ each online (9.95/100) 😀

For me I'm just the opposite as well ... The platinum coated blades ( specifically Astra SP) always provide me a smooth shave and no irritation in all 6 of my DE razors. But as a lot of shaving products go YMMV .. Everyone is different and has different skin types, facial hair types & shaving techniques
... And as a bonus the Astra SP's were less than .10¢ each online (9.95/100) 
+1- in the same boat, I love me some Astra SP's and also get good shave with the Personna Reds. Everyones face is different and as the saying goes YMMV. Astra blades are pretty sharp and technique is the key. Don't try for BBS and just do WTG or XTG on thr sensitive areas like the neck.
P.S. I also use the no-name Kroger brand stainelss steel blades and get really really good shaves with them. Have to make a extra cleanup pass but get a really good DFS with them. Used them for years till I discovered the Astra SP blades.

Last edited:
I am not a blade expert by any means, but I would say it's totally plausible. In fact for me it's just the opposite. That platinum coated blades feel much smoother to me. Every stainless blade I have tried feels rough on my skin. Classic case of YMMV!

I agree re: stainless. Pt is much better for me. RMV

Hence the expression YMMV or YRMV! Every one of us have preferences and dislikes based on some aspect of the hardware, real or imagined.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Hence the expression YMMV or YRMV! Every one of us have preferences and dislikes based on some aspect of the hardware, real or imagined.

Hear, hear! Personna reds have become my favorite blade, smooth and close as all get out. However, Astra SPs and I just can't seem to get along.

My experience is that there are good and bad blades in both categories. Treet Carbon DE blades are fantastic, Crown Stainless are terrible. Feathers are great, Gillette 7'Oclock are terrible. It's all a matter of finding what works for you.

I have started to realize as my technique has improved the blades I like have changed over time. Blades I liked at first just seem so-so now. I really liked the Personna Reds at first. Now they seem mild compared to Black Beauties. I have also found that blades I disliked are capable of decent shaves.

I really like Atsra SPs. After trying several blades the Astras worked great for me in all of my razors. I find that the less sharp blades cause me irritation. Feathers work well but don't stay sharp longe enough. I haven't really looked at the technical specs of the blades I just use what works for me and feels good.

Top Bottom