What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
MM Country Gentleman full of the English Luxury blend from Austin's in the Soo, listening to Blackmore's Night on Pandora, getting ready to settle into my book ("Kushiel's Dart," by Jacqueline Carey).

Margate in a GBD Virgin Rhodesian.

$image.jpg

EMP in my im Corona Bulldog.

One of the teachers in my school couldn't get his car up the big hill this morning due to the snow. We went down there to shovel a little more snow out and afterwards he had a cigarette and I smoked a pipe. Nice smoke as he's much older than me and always has good stories.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
View attachment 412175

Frog Morton on the bayou in MM country gent and churchwarden forever stem.
How do you like that? I've got an Ozark Mountain with a churchwarden stem, and it's one of my most disappointing pipes. No matter how slow I smoke, it's a gurgle machine. I don't know if that's a common churchwarden trait, or what.

How do you like that? I've got an Ozark Mountain with a churchwarden stem, and it's one of my most disappointing pipes. No matter how slow I smoke, it's a gurgle machine. I don't know if that's a common churchwarden trait, or what.

If I'm patient and dry out the baccy enough, I don't get a lot of gurgle. Also not keeping the pipe in my mouth the whole time reduces the amount of moisture has been my experience.

Whenever I have a pipe that gurgles, I'll lightly blow into the stem. Not hard enough to blow out the tobacco, but enough to clear out some of the moisture. I find that it works a lot of the time.

My first ever sampling of Shortcut to Mushrooms out of a MM Legend. Has inspired me to head to the tobacconist and pick up my first briar this week!

Very nice! Any ideas on what style or maker you're thinking about?

I'm very new to the hobby of pipe smoking, so my knowledge is quite limited. I've done a bit of research through various websites online, and thus far I'm leaning towards and entry level Savinelli. Some of the Bjarne Viking pipes also appeal to me aesthetically as well. I know I'm bound to pay more at a local shop, but being my first "real" pipe I am of the opinion that tactile feel is very important. If you have any suggestions, I would be extremely grateful. My budget is in the neighborhood of $40-$70. Obviously, I won't get a glamorous artisan pipe at this price point, but I am hoping to acquire something that will last me many years to come.

Once I ascertain what I like in pipes, then my options are limitless. There seems to be a plethora of highly skilled craftsman in this hobby, and I should no doubt be able to build a collection that suits my style.

I'm very new to the hobby of pipe smoking, so my knowledge is quite limited. I've done a bit of research through various websites online, and thus far I'm leaning towards and entry level Savinelli. Some of the Bjarne Viking pipes also appeal to me aesthetically as well. I know I'm bound to pay more at a local shop, but being my first "real" pipe I am of the opinion that tactile feel is very important. If you have any suggestions, I would be extremely grateful. My budget is in the neighborhood of $40-$70. Obviously, I won't get a glamorous artisan pipe at this price point, but I am hoping to acquire something that will last me many years to come.

Once I ascertain what I like in pipes, then my options are limitless. There seems to be a plethora of highly skilled craftsman in this hobby, and I should no doubt be able to build a collection that suits my style.

I know exactly what you mean when you say "tactical feel". Like you said you will be paying more at the shop instead of going online.

Entry level Savinelli sounds good. They are great smokers. You'll probably be paying closer to the 70 dollar range though.

You should definitely check out the "basket pipes" if they have them at your tobacconist. Many famous companies find aesthetic flaws with their pipes and end up not stamping their name on it and selling it for much cheaper. Functionally, they usually smoke just as well.

The most important part is choosing a pipe that you like looking at, holding and are going to want to care for. I'm excited for you, and I look forward to your choice (and pics!! :biggrin1: )

I was also going to say that you could go to the store and find a pipe that you like, measure the dimensions and search online shops like smokingpipes.com for an estate pipe with similar measurements.

It is important to find one that looks/feels appealing to you but proper drilling is the most important factor, make sure that the airway is even with the bottom of the tobacco chamber, not too high of too low for a good smoker.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Almost every tobacconist I have ever been to has a basket of seconds. It is real easy to find a decent pipe in that range.

Top Bottom