What's new

PIF: Starter Fountain Pen and Ink

Time for another PIF. I'm giving away a Lamy Logo including the converter and two bottles of ink: Noodler's Black and La Couleur Royale (a retina searing purple). The Lamy Logo uses the same nibs as the Lamy Safari, so if you want a different nib, it's really easy and inexpensive to swap it out for something else. This PIF is for all members of the forum in the CONUS who would like to get into fountain pens but don't have one yet.

Since you're a fountain pen newby, you'll need to remember that fountain pens don't require pressure on the page to write. In fact, a good pen will write best with almost no pressure at all. This pen is a good writer and writes well with both of the inks I'm including. Once you've experienced writing with a fountain pen, you'll never want to use a ball-point again. If you win, do yourself a favor and get some good quality paper; you can't go wrong with Rhodia or Clairefontaine.

To enter, say, "I'm in," and post your favorite quote or passage of literature. Don't forget to cite the author. I'll let this PIF run for a week and select the winner on Friday the 29th sometime in the morning. The quote I like best will win.

$DSC_0001.jpg

Last edited:
Not in as I already have 6 fountain pens that I have purchased in the last two months haha this is a great pif!

I'me in,

I have been absolutely lusting for a good Fountain Pen as well as a few other "Manly" Items since I joined the "Badger and Blade"

My all time favorite quote is...............

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”

Franklin D. Roosevelt

This is the well known FDR inaugural speech.

And this was the first draft as broadcast to our great nation.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHyjAjD3OEQ

And here is the second draft............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64PWxzW5vZU

And here is the Third and Final Draft......................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLcIAJsaF3o

For some reason, the second and the final draft have not been released to the American public at large

Do I get extra credit points for the PIF for going through all the extra work and research?

I have all of my fingers crossed!

Not in but great PIF. Best of luck to the newbies out there. Fountain Pens are way more addictive then DE shaving ☺.

Good news everyone. Claudel Xerxes has generously offered to add a travel pad of Rhodia paper to the PIF. Thanks, Claudel!

Not in, but awesome PIF. And as a literary junkie, of course I have to throw a passage your way!

“It was raining in the quadrangle, and the quadrangular sky looked like a grimace of a robot or a god made in our own likeness. The oblique drops of rain slid down the blades of grass in the park, but it would have made no difference if they had slid up. Then the oblique (drops) turned round (drops), swallowed up by the earth underpinning the grass, and the grass and the earth seemed to talk, no, not talk, argue, their comprehensible words like crystallized spiderwebs or the briefest crystallized vomitings, a barely audible rustling, as if instead of drinking tea that afternoon, Norton had drunk a steaming cup of peyote.” -Roberto Bolano, 2666

If you haven't read Bolano, make him your next read! Fantastic writer.

Last edited:
Not in as I turned my first fountain pen a couple weeks ago and plan to turn another this weekend, but what a great PIF! 2 weeks ago I would've been all over this!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Good news everyone. Claudel Xerxes has generously offered to add a travel pad of Rhodia paper to the PIF. Thanks, Claudel!

My pleasure! It's the small 3.3" x 4.7" pad, but it'll give the winner of the PIF a little taste of what decent paper can be like. :thumbup1:

I'm in. This is a generous offer. Including parep is a nice touch too. This is the quote I've chosen:

An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.M.K. Gandhi

Count me in.

"A man will more readily accept the murder of his father than the theft of his inheritance."
-Machiavelli, "The Prince"

I'm in...

Going with the book version of what became Eowyn's short line “I am no man” in the movie The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King based on the book of the same name by J.R.R. Tolkien. It was dramatic in the movie but seems to me that something was lost.

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!”

A cold voice answered: ‘Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shriveled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.”

A sword rang as it was drawn. “Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may.”

“Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!”

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel.

“But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.”

I'm in. Thanks for a great PIF!

“A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, ‘You are mad; you are not like us.” - St. Anthony the Great

I'm in.
"A good bookshop is just a genteel black hole that knows how to read"

Sir Terry Pratchett, Guards, Guards!

I shall refrain from entering but the quote that I would have used is:

To be lost requires two things: first you don't know where you are and second you care - me

Top Bottom