What's new

PIF: Pakistani Pain Inflictor (Because I proposed to Seraphim once again)

ALCON,

The razor arrived in AFG today. I'm quite amazed at the speed in which it arrived. It was shipped on the 19th and arrived here on the 1st. So about 13 days. I think when stuff come to me from overseas, it usually gets sent to New York for sorting then it comes back here. If that is the route it took, then I am quite impressed.

I'm equally impressed with this razor. It's initial looks are rather impressive. The blade is bigger than I was expecting and I really liek the look of the scales. The swirling pattern on them for some reason to me looks really nice. Better in person, than in the pics. Now these are obviously cheap scales, and I'm not saying they are awesome or anything, just that I like them, and they 'look' better than I expected.

To my untrained eye, the edge looks very nice. I'll see in the morning how it shaves. I'll post my initial results tomorrow after my first shave. Then, if all goes well, I'll see about making a video for my follow up shave.

After inspecting the packaging that Honed sent, I had to chuckle. Here is what he wrote on the customs form:
"1 used, hideous straight razor"

First shave down with the Pakistani Pain Inflictor - Oh the Horror!

OMG it actually shaved! :straight: And furthermore there was no pain and no blood. Consider me shocked and awed! This razor is poorly named. :001_rolle Although it is pretty catchy, so I think I'll keep that name!

Seriously, it worked. I'm not as experienced a shaver as the previous two owners of this razor (Seraphim and Honed), but I think my experience with it mirrors theirs. It provided a perfectly adequate shave. Not quite as close as my normal straight (currently a dubl duck, more at home), but perfectly acceptable. I definitely felt a difference in the shave. It felt a bit rougher. As I was shaving I wasn't sure if it was working by the feel, but feeling my face after the pass confirmed that whiskers had been cut down. I did notice the tinny-ness of it as perviously described too. Admittedly, I might have been a bit apprehensive with it on my first shave. We'll see if the next one is any better. In fairness, I was also using a new soap that I received the same day as the razor. I probably should have waited to alter the soap. I'll use Mystic Water next time as it is what I have been using for the majority of my shaves lately. I'm quite sure that alone will help the shave.

In summary, it was not an awesome razor, I wouldn't write home about it, but it did work. Not as comfortable or as close as other razors, but it does it's intended job. I wouldn't go searching for one of these to start off with at all. But if you had experience and wanted to play around with something, and to prove it can be done... I'd say go for it.

First shave down with the Pakistani Pain Inflictor - Oh the Horror!

OMG it actually shaved! :straight: And furthermore there was no pain and no blood. Consider me shocked and awed! This razor is poorly named. :001_rolle Although it is pretty catchy, so I think I'll keep that name!

Seriously, it worked. I'm not as experienced a shaver as the previous two owners of this razor (Seraphim and Honed), but I think my experience with it mirrors theirs. It provided a perfectly adequate shave. Not quite as close as my normal straight (currently a dubl duck, more at home), but perfectly acceptable. I definitely felt a difference in the shave. It felt a bit rougher. As I was shaving I wasn't sure if it was working by the feel, but feeling my face after the pass confirmed that whiskers had been cut down. I did notice the tinny-ness of it as perviously described too. Admittedly, I might have been a bit apprehensive with it on my first shave. We'll see if the next one is any better. In fairness, I was also using a new soap that I received the same day as the razor. I probably should have waited to alter the soap. I'll use Mystic Water next time as it is what I have been using for the majority of my shaves lately. I'm quite sure that alone will help the shave.

In summary, it was not an awesome razor, I wouldn't write home about it, but it did work. Not as comfortable or as close as other razors, but it does it's intended job. I wouldn't go searching for one of these to start off with at all. But if you had experience and wanted to play around with something, and to prove it can be done... I'd say go for it.
Great report!
Very similar to my own experiences.

By the way, when I got it from Craig it was described on the customs form as "novelty letter opener" :biggrin:
Had to keep that tradition alive...

That is what I thought. China is pretty good with steel manufacture.
Swedish iron ore mate, Swedish iron ore :biggrin:

The GD is IMO just as good as any other razor. The Selective is a notch below, but still fully functional.

Legion

Staff member
Swedish iron ore mate, Swedish iron ore :biggrin:

The GD is IMO just as good as any other razor. The Selective is a notch below, but still fully functional.

Really? Then where the heck is all our iron ore going??? (Don't say Pakistan.)

Really? Then where the heck is all our iron ore going??? (Don't say Pakistan.)
Pakistan I'm sure :a6:

China today is such a big user of steel that they buy pretty much anything available from what I have read.

Gents,

Today's shave was even better! I think I was a bit less timid with the blade and I was using my tried and true Mystic Water soap, which is slicker than the last one I used. Much closer and more comfortable shave than yesterday. I'd rate it a DFS. Pretty on par, with my average straight shave, or maybe just the tiniest smidge less. Yeah, I've had much better, but today's was a really nice shave!

Top Bottom