What's new

Pet Peeve - Straight Shaves In Barbers Is NOT A Dying Art!

we have a much bigger asian/polish population here than in ireland and i'm afraid i'm not seeing a load of barbershops like being described. There's also the fact that the places offering them now are doing so as a sort of pampering/salon experience; faux traditional barbershops that are really more 'salon for men' than barbershop imo (the easiest way to check is price...)

...the sentiment expressed on the boards is valid imo - the 'cutthroat' shave is indeed a thing of the past, at least in the west. The days when barbers used real straights, and did them all day, for men who used the service functionally and not as a sort of spa thing, are over. This isn't really a downer for me - the ability to shave oneself well at home is what sort of sent that type of barber into decline, and thats something most of us are glad for i'm guessing! My gripe with most of the barbers i've visited is the generic buzzcut i get, regardless of what i ask for (thats a whole other thread/topic...) so, i'd say there are likely some places that can give you a decent 'hot towel' shave with a shavette (including our venerable barber_eile, but i have to stand for the motion 'they are no more!', i'm afraid :(

+1

I was stationed on a very small base in Vietnam. We had a Vietnamese barber. Every morning I'd visit him for a shave. He didn't use a straight razor. He used a shavette, with disposable blades.

What a great way to start the day. A hot towel, a BBS shave and a scalp and neck massage. All for 25 cents.

I sure do miss that barber.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Those prices are extremely cheap. Cheapest haircut i have seen is $15 and $13 for a shave

Yup, they are great prices and a great cut too.

One I went to did a real good cut but used electric clippers for shaving the neck. $10.

Last one I went to also gave a great cut, and used the shavette for the neck. $12 though, and it was a combination barber/salon type of shop with one barber and five, yup five, stylists.

I think I'm going back to Billy at the Royal barber shop today for a nice, comfortable, $7 haircut. I just love the old antique barber chairs with the scroll work on the footrests, the strops hanging off of the chairs, and just the general atmosphere of a real, old-time style barber shop. And especially the real, old-time barbers! :thumbup:

barbers are losing the art of doing straight shaves.

We have a huge amount of Turkish and Polish barbers in our shops too so maybe that helps things?

Okay.. rant over. :thumbup:

Certainly does and is one of the positive aspects of Immigration in Ireland (during the now deceased Celtic Tiger), 10 years ago a small number barbers offered "hot towel shaves" but 80% these were not with straight or even DE razors.

Thankfully there has been a real resurgence of the interest and renaissance of the skills.

Okay I need to vent a niggle.:mad3:
It seems that everywhere I read on here people are commenting about how barbers are losing the art of doing straight shaves as they never do them, and tons of barber's won't use a straight/shavette etc.
(and maybe it's true outside of Ireland)

Okay now here, though you have to use a shavette for health and safety laws, MANY, MANY barber do straight razor shaves. In fact I would say 90% of barbershops in Ireland do them. Perhaps not every barber in the shop will but they will have someone who does and who will do them frequently enough.
In fact as I get close to graduating and start to look around at jobs advertised they nearly all say "must be able to do hot towel cut throat shaves" or some such phrasing.
Over here it seems seems to be very popular and the idea of the "barbershop" is still very much well and alive with there being equal amount of barbershops to salons in Dublin as far as I can see (they are often on the same street only a few shops apart). We have a huge amount of Turkish and Polish barbers in our shops too so maybe that helps things?

Okay.. rant over. :thumbup:

Here in Louisiana, a co-worker was told by a local barber that it is illegal to do straight shaves, but also says old barber shops who continue to do it are left alone. The barber went on to say that he does assume a risk in offering them but he wanted to bring the old-time full-service barbershop back and once quit working at a place that was not interested in providing them.

I don't know the accuracy of the information, but the barbershop I have used the past 18-19 years said that he simply makes more money offering nothing more than a haircut. The fewer services he offers, the more people get in the chair, and the more money he makes.

Probably the truth is something between the tradition and the economics. I like the haircuts I receive and I'm a big boy and can shave myself.

my understanding from my barber is that in Ohio shaving with a straight is not allowed.. shavette with a new blade for each customer is. never thought to ask about bringing my own straight.

What a bunch of Nanny State garbage. :

Actually I don't know of anywhere that lets you use a real straight anymore. (Maybe some states?)
I think the policy is a very good one to be honest. And always gives the client the option of bringing their own straight. I know client's find the use of a fresh blade reassuring and trust me, when you have to study about these diseases, you know there's no point in taking a risk.
Even though technically we should wear gloves while giving shaves but no one does that.

I know at least one person at the barber shop I went to last did shavette shaves. The price on the wall was $35, a hair cut was $20. I plan to go back.

Phil

Actually I don't know of anywhere that lets you use a real straight anymore. (Maybe some states?)
I think the policy is a very good one to be honest. And always gives the client the option of bringing their own straight. I know client's find the use of a fresh blade reassuring and trust me, when you have to study about these diseases, you know there's no point in taking a risk.
Even though technically we should wear gloves while giving shaves but no one does that.

My barber, the one whom I grew up going to, and who is still in his shop, still uses a traditional, cutthroat straight. he doesn't do shaves but he uses it for cleaning up around the ears and neck. After he's done he rinses it off and into the barbicide it goes until the next customer.

Now, maybe it would be different if he were doing shaves, which, for as long as I've been going to him, which would be some 35 years, he has not done, so I can't really say.

I DO know, though, that the barber college a couple of hours away from me still has straight shaving in the curriculum and it's a couple of modules long.

Cheers!
-Greg

My barber, the one whom I grew up going to, and who is still in his shop, still uses a traditional, cutthroat straight. he doesn't do shaves but he uses it for cleaning up around the ears and neck. After he's done he rinses it off and into the barbicide it goes until the next customer.

Now, maybe it would be different if he were doing shaves, which, for as long as I've been going to him, which would be some 35 years, he has not done, so I can't really say.

I DO know, though, that the barber college a couple of hours away from me still has straight shaving in the curriculum and it's a couple of modules long.

Cheers!
-Greg

You mean the one in Akron or one in O Canada :lol:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Went to the Royal today...got a great basic haircut sitting in one of the old Koken barber chairs (if you want a style, go to a salon). Billy used a shavette to do the neck, behind and on top of the ears (yeah, I'm getting hair there now), and inside and outside of the ears.

Great job from a 70 something year old man wielding a very sharp object in tight places. :thumbup:

Got home and later tonight I was getting a bit of stubble from this morning's quick shave with a Gem 1912. Decided to get out the McPherson Bros. Sheffield Steel straight to clean up a few patches a bit. Just did a bit of XTG passes and played with the angle a bit...pulled up a little of the white skin flakes on the edge of the blade...and....

Wow...just...Wow.

I had forgotten how great a straight shave is.

The hand written prices on the sign at the Royal are:

Haircut: $7

Shave: $6

Beard trim: $5

Shampoo: $4 (I wonder how many of them they give :biggrin1:)

I think that I'll take one of my straights in and get a shave sometime.

I love that place.

Last edited:
There is a chain salon in Michigan called Jude's Barbershop that will do shavette straight shaves. When I asked about bringing in my straight they said sure. They also said that they could use a traditional straight but the time to make sure it is properly disinfected by state standard is why most use shavettes.

There are only about 3 barbershops on the Eastern Shore. The one i go to charges 18.00 for a haircut (i give them 20) and no shave. I went to a barbershop in Chicago that shaved the back of my neck with a straight. Didn't ask if they offered shaves.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My gripe with most of the barbers I've visited is the generic buzzcut I get, regardless of what I ask for (thats a whole other thread/topic...)

With all due respect...and no offense meant...the "buzzcut" thing of the barber giving a standard cut no matter how your hair grows, or doesn't do what you ask for that's a bit off of the normal cut, is also common on this side of the pond...some places.

You may need to talk to your barber a bit more. My hair does not go well with the generic blocked or tapered in the back...it grows in a natural duck tail type thing.

I hear you about the "regardless of what I ask for" thing, had that happen to me a bunch.

That's why I go to barbers that can listen and adjust. That is a very good gripe...I think you just need to get the barber to know you better, I think.

As far as the original topic of straight shaves being a dying art...some places maybe...but here...NOT!

I hope it stays alive! :thumbup:

I hear you about the "regardless of what I ask for" thing, had that happen to me a bunch.

That's why I go to barbers that can listen and adjust. That is a very good gripe...I think you just need to get the barber to know you better, I think.

Yea, when the line goes around the corner, and is moving fast you know that you are sitting in the chair of a one trick pony. I went to a barber like this. I was in his chair less than 5 minutes and got a passable haircut cheap. Never thought a man could move that fast.

Phil

We have them out here in California and my barber gave me my first personnas! he buys the DE personnas and then snaps them in half for his shavette. Talking to the boss, hot towel shaving is a learned processes that one must be licensed for. The shop I go to has two guys thatll clean you up for less than $20 bucks. They both have a strong appreciation for the single edge shave, its technique and history.

If its later in the day and they are tired the price becomes negotiable. I saw a fella walk in near closing who really wanted a shave and Will said, fine $25. The guy took it and tipped $10 on the way out for a good shave.

And always gives the client the option of bringing their own straight.

Passing up a great opportunity by not having shave ready razors and accessories for sale in the barber shop. Especially if you have a starter pack with entry level razor DE, Shavette and real Straight, strop brush and soap. Combine this with leassons and you could have a nice little earner (great margin) and with renewable revenue if the customer comes back 3 to 4 times a year for a shave and to resupply Soap AS etc.

Chances are that is they are on display more people will ask about a straight shave with a shavette , once they have had a shave they might buy one. Then they will start to think about what it would be like with a real straight especially if you have told them how much better it can be with a real one.

Tell them that you give lessons in shaving, offer a honing service and it wont be long before they come back to buy one or have one honed. The seed of Wet shaving will have been planted, with AD is just around the corner.

As we all know Resistance is futile.

Last edited:
You mean the one in Akron or one in O Canada :lol:

East side of Columbus, actually. :laugh:

A great way, at least that I've found, to find barber colleges here in the states is to go through the particular state's barber board. Obviously, some sites are more helpful than others.

Also, to your point, I'm not sure that there ARE barber colleges, per se, in Canada, at least that I found online. Everything seemed to be "cosmetology" schools. :mellow:

Cheers!
-Greg

Top Bottom