What's new

Personna Lab Blues vs. Personna Reds

I'm about 2/3rds through my last 100-blade box of Personna (Israeli) Reds. They are one of my favorite blades. I know these blades are no longer being manufactured. How do the American Personna (Comfort Coated, a.k.a. "Lab Blues") compare? Thanks.

lasta

Blade Biter
My memories of Israeli Reds are very old, but I would say both are decent blades.

Israelis a hint sharper (not by much), American smoother.

Two of my ‘top-tier’ blades. :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

For me these are very different. The Israeli reds are comfortable out of the wrapper and are good for around 6-8 fine shaves. In contrast, the Lab blues (or med preps) need a shave of three to really hit their stride. Then they are good for 10+ shaves. YMMV for sure!

I used to think I preferred reds.

I now LOVE the lab blues. Just amazing. Sharp, consistent, smooth, long lasting. One of the best blades available.

I have better experiences with the Reds than the Blues. If you are looking for a Personna family replacement you could also look at/for Eddison blades. They were part of a blade Discovery Adventure last year and I found it to be an amazing blade.

You can read about the experiences from participants here:

Cheers,

Guido

Very different blades for me. Reds and original IPs are favorites. Have not liked the US Personnas other than med preps. If you like the Israeli reds, buy the German Personnas.

I've tried searching for the answer to this question - and I'm more confused now, after reading all the old threads, than I was before.

I think I'm clear on the comfort coated made in USA ones but it's the "Israeli Red" that has me confused. How can I tell what these Personna Platinum Chrome Super Stainless are and where they are made? I can't see any country listed on the package.

There is a tiny number code. Anyone know what that number means?
1686965773592.png

1686965581686.png

I've tried searching for the answer to this question - and I'm more confused now, after reading all the old threads, than I was before.

I think I'm clear on the comfort coated made in USA ones but it's the "Israeli Red" that has me confused. How can I tell what these Personna Platinum Chrome Super Stainless are and where they are made? I can't see any country listed on the package.

There is a tiny number code. Anyone know what that number means?
View attachment 1672163

View attachment 1672161
These are the Israeli Nazareth made Personnas. The packaging is in the white plastic 10 tuck for the UK, European and Non-US market.

The US ones are in the red and black tucks, I think they hold 5. Packaged in Mexico I think?

The red Personna lettering is the clue. I have a late batch from I believe 2018-9. The later German 'Reds' have gold lettering for Personna.

Excellent eyes! I have never seen that batch No before. I think you are the first to notice it on B&B.

My opened tuck also says 02002/8

@AndyPanda do you have 9 115 stencilled in bold black on the tuck end?

Oh and here is a short but very informative thread on this very point.
Will the real (new) Israeli Red please stand up - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/will-the-real-new-israeli-red-please-stand-up.633916/

Last edited:
Top Bottom