What's new

Are these related to Personna 74s?

Little bit of a hard one that my digging has led to inconclusive results for. A blue comfort coated container that references a tungsten coating.

I’m on the edge of opening this or a red pack “super chrome platinum” blade that has the dispenser labeled Personna 74

Looking for the better shaving experience, not longevity. I think this says the same thing word for word as the red super chrome platinums on the back.
IMG_4135.jpeg
IMG_4134.jpeg

lasta

Blade Biter
Little bit of a hard one that my digging has led to inconclusive results for. A blue comfort coated container that references a tungsten coating.

I’m on the edge of opening this or a red pack “super chrome platinum” blade that has the dispenser labeled Personna 74

Looking for the better shaving experience, not longevity. I think this says the same thing word for word as the red super chrome platinums on the back.View attachment 1778555View attachment 1778556
These are the predecessors to modern Peronnas, I'm guessing 80s/90s.

I've tried some Eckerd/Kare store branded ones like these. Good enough blades, but not quite as sharp as the old 74. IMO YMMV and all that.

I'm not sure that this has ever been answered definitively.
My understanding is that they discontinued production of the 74s because their longevity
affected sales. I'm not a metallurgist, but I would guess that these are probably similar to the 74s
but without the longevity. I would expect very good shaves from these. Good luck and report your findings!

Some report that they get P74’s when they open some SPC packages, and there is speculation that Personna transitioned old stock P74’s into the new packaging for awhile.
I have used both blades and can’t tell much difference between them.

Mainly looking at to what to open first to see if the rest are worth trying and opening. This is what I’ve got to work with. So far I think the red “Super Chrome Platinum“ 10 pack with the 74 dispenser may be the best feeling blade. Wondering if there’s a general agreement. The blue pack seems iffy. The first is supposed to be the longest lasting but not the smoothest. The second is the smoother one if I remember correctly. This is the main thread that comes up during a search that regards the blues as the smoothest.

IMG_4141.jpeg

Last edited:
The Personas SPC blades you have are excellent - in my experience, they are smoother than P74s.
i get about 12 - 15 shaves from a single blade, so still very respectable longevity.

Mainly looking at to what to open first to see if the rest are worth trying and opening. This is what I’ve got to work with. So far I think the red “Super Chrome Platinum“ 10 pack with the 74 dispenser may be the best feeling blade. Wondering if there’s a general agreement. The blue pack seems iffy. The first is supposed to be the longest lasting but not the smoothest. The second is the smoother one if I remember correctly. This is the main thread that comes up during a search that regards the blues as the smoothest.

View attachment 1779033
Of those variants, I like the Tunsten Plus the best. You get longevity and a smoother shave than the original P74.

Of those variants, I like the Tunsten Plus the best. You get longevity and a smoother shave than the original P74.
We’ll see soon. It’s still a toss up for me regarding opening the blue pack and the super chrome platinums that definitely have the Tungsten plus blades in them. For now I’m futzing with old Above the Tie razors with Polsilvers

My understanding is that they discontinued production of the 74s because their longevity
affected sales. I'm not a metallurgist, but I would guess that these are probably similar to the 74s
but without the longevity.

The 74's were a tungsten steel. Tungsten is element #74 on the periodic table, hence the name.

From the photos above, it looks like they changed the blade to a stainless steel blade (the Super Platinum Chrome blades) and retained the name at that time.

It appears that while bringing in these changes, they changed to use an alloy of tungsten, platinum and cobalt to the cutting edges.

I have a tuck of the Tungsten Plus blades. There is no nention of stainless steel on the package.

I have a package of the Platinum Chrome blades, which have no mention of platinum on the package. Just the mention of a high quality chrome steel edge. These are the ones that say Comfort Coated. In the same dispenser as the first photo of this thread.

The 74's were a tungsten steel. Tungsten is element #74 on the periodic table, hence the name.

From the photos above, it looks like they changed the blade to a stainless steel blade (the Super Platinum Chrome blades) and retained the name at that time.

It appears that while bringing in these changes, they changed to use an alloy of tungsten, platinum and cobalt to the cutting edges.

I have a tuck of the Tungsten Plus blades. There is no nention of stainless steel on the package.

I have a package of the Platinum Chrome blades, which have no mention of platinum on the package. Just the mention of a high quality chrome steel edge. These are the ones that say Comfort Coated. In the same dispenser as the first photo of this thread.

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

And there will be a quiz next week!!

My father left only one package of Personna 74 Tungsten Steel Blade! I used a couple of them and I found them the best! If you had the same experience, which actual existing blade would you choose at the same range?
IMG_4062.jpg

Top Bottom