What's new

Why are they called "lab blue"?

I have recently discovered the Personna Comfort Coated blades and really like them, but why are they called "lab blue"? Just curious.

I have recently discovered the Personna Comfort Coated blades and really like them, but why are they called "lab blue"? Just curious.
Personna brand blades made in Verona, VA were sold for laboratory and medical use, as well as grooming. The blades were packaged differently and sold in bulk packs.

Some years ago, people who wanted to buy blades cheaply in bulk for shaving would get them from medical supply companies. They sold a grade for lab use and a grade for hospital use. "Lab Blue" and "Med Prep" were just nicknames people used for these blades. It was a lot cheaper than buying packs of 10 blades from the drugstore or supermarket. The names stuck, but there are other ways to buy blades in bulk these days.

Personna brand blades made in Verona, VA were sold for laboratory and medical use, as well as grooming. The blades were packaged differently and sold in bulk packs.

Some years ago, people who wanted to buy blades cheaply in bulk for shaving would get them from medical supply companies. They sold a grade for lab use and a grade for hospital use. "Lab Blue" and "Med Prep" were just nicknames people used for these blades. It was a lot cheaper than buying packs of 10 blades from the drugstore or supermarket. The names stuck, but there are other ways to buy blades in bulk these days.

+1! Now that you understand the difference, Personna will kindly change the name of these blades!! :mad2::mad2::mad2:

My problem is that I really enjoy the Lab Blues (or whatever they will call them).

I thought the new name had been determined...? And I do not like it!

I thought the new name had been determined...? And I do not like it!
If they're the same blade, continuing to call them lab blues at least provides continuity for us here. It was never the name and it's still not - but *we know* what we mean.

I always make the reference to "Comfort Coated" when "Lab Blues" are mentioned. The newbie shaver doesn't have any reference to lab blue and will take a stab in the dark and buy Personna blades in a blue box. I know this, because I did. I hated those blades ... and it took me a long time before I took a chance on the comfort coated. And thankfully I did ... they're my favorite blade. :)

I always make the reference to "Comfort Coated" when "Lab Blues" are mentioned. The newbie shaver doesn't have any reference to lab blue and will take a stab in the dark and buy Personna blades in a blue box. I know this, because I did. I hated those blades ... and it took me a long time before I took a chance on the comfort coated. And thankfully I did ... they're my favorite blade. :)
You make a good point... I just don't want to say "accuforge"...

You know that feeling, when a restaurant offers a tasty option but it has a wack name? When you want to order it, but you don't want to have to say the name out loud, in front of people?

Is it just me?

The accuforge sounds like a name marketing outside shaving came up with thinking the FORGE name was so strong :)

I can say the blade did very well the whole naming thing in shaving can be quite confusing to what things are
wish they just coined the names the shave community came up for them as I am sure most of us would be happy with that :)

You make a good point... I just don't want to say "accuforge"...

You know that feeling, when a restaurant offers a tasty option but it has a wack name? When you want to order it, but you don't want to have to say the name out loud, in front of people?

Is it just me?

Easiest to just look for "Made in USA" and "Verona, VA". Personna has got to be the most confusing brand of blades in history.

I think the weird names are supposed to remind people the company is now called AccuTec, which is a spin-off from the older corporation(s). I think they do mostly medical-related stuff. Not sure on the spelling for AccuTec, come to think of it.

Easiest to just look for "Made in USA" and "Verona, VA". Personna has got to be the most confusing brand of blades in history.

I think the weird names are supposed to remind people the company is now called AccuTec, which is a spin-off from the older corporation(s). I think they do mostly medical-related stuff. Not sure on the spelling for AccuTec, come to think of it.
Yes, that makes sense.

Top Bottom