What's new

Pencils

I know this thread is mostly about fountain pens and inks but I figured there’s gotta be someone else who enjoys pencils too.

Used to be big into fountain pens also and always had a bunch ink up, now I only have two ink. One black ink one blue, I know wild right?

Reason is I just enjoy writing with a pencil so much more. I’ve slowly built up a nice arsenal of pencils that I enjoy.

Anyone else have a favourite?

Here are some of mine.

5FCB341A-3630-4BB7-A5B0-A28D2CA04CFD.jpeg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Love the quality of a good pencil, the lead is often off-center and breaks easily in the new cheapos kids get for school nowadays. No wonder they get frustrated with writing.

I've got a big box of old wooden pencils that have been around for years, here's a pic of a few. I enjoy a nice hand sharpener, too!

full

Conte 1710 B in my humble opinion has the widest dynamic range. It is inconsistent with lead breakage but for a charcoal pencil meets life drawing, it is tough to beat in my experience.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The famous Scripto?
Yep, and it's a keeper.

I just picked this Speedball up at Hobby Lobby to get me started with fountain pens. Haven't used one since grade school. Writes nice, but I prefer a finer tip .5mm, and a fatter grip, and this was pretty much all they had.
20220820_165149[1].jpg
Any "tips" ?

~doug~

Looks pretty cool. Does it have more space to add more of those holders?
No, just a single layer. He has another box on the go already.

@Toothpick we picked up a Rotring 600 Red 0.5, it's a great pencil. Amazon really fluctuates the price and it can be had for a good deal every now and then.

Ahh this post brings back memories of my design school days.
I'm fairly certain I still have my old drafting (leadholder) pencil.
@brucered, in your box of pencils show above, it's rather like the 3rd one down (the red one).
I forget the brand but it could be a Staedtler. I definitely still have the lead grinder (tub sharpener).

I haven't used that in ages.
To answer the OP's original question:
Though I don't really have a personal favorite, I typically just use a standard 0.5mm Pentel P205. They're cheap and durable enough to last a good long while. As a prefeerrance, I use mine with the clip removed because of old habits of turning the pencil when I write and those clips just get in the way.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I usually just use a good old Ticonderoga #2. Mostly because I have grade school age kids and they’re (pencils and kids) laying all over the house.

I've been called a pencil slut. I prefer 2mm lead holders. Staedtler, Koh-i-noor, and Faber Castel top the list. Last year several of mine were stollen by students so I decided to grab some cheap ones for school. I bought a few of these as cheaper alternatives and really liked them. Then they got stolen. I just used my blackwings after that. No one steals a plain old wooden pencil in middle school Foolish young'uns.

Love the quality of a good pencil, the lead is often off-center and breaks easily in the new cheapos kids get for school nowadays. No wonder they get frustrated with writing.

I've got a big box of old wooden pencils that have been around for years, here's a pic of a few. I enjoy a nice hand sharpener, too!

full

There is a member here (unfortunately I can't recall who) that posted a pic of his vintage pencil sharpener that used DE blades. It was the coolest non-shaving use of a DE blade that I've seen.

Top Bottom