What's new

Paradigm Salient 316?

I found the razor very efficient with the handle balancing nicely at the taper. I have very sensitive skin, but if you can use a WR1 1.25, BB Ti, etc this one is worth trying.
I meant WR2 1.25 WR1 .74 - sorry for the typo. Also believe that the polished will go away soon and satin will be the standard offering.

Finally found out that the razors do need an extra few steps of finishing here (in the US) after they arrive from the producer in China.

The step files, etc were sent to China quite a long time ago and sample runs were made and inspected. I am very confident the Salient was designed in the US and sent to China for production and that it wasn’t “licensed” from a Chinese mfg as a Paradigm product.

I also am confident that there is a company in Slovenia that should be carrying it for European customers soon. It took me a few minutes to find it but it’s ANTICATURA.

Last edited:
I know TRC will ship to Europe and has more coming back in stock for Jason.

I also heard there won’t be more polished finish being completed and the only version available will be satin once the polished are sold from the paradigm website.

Well over a month ago I got a notice from AliX about a Yaqi Ti razor. I don't have any China made razors but I was quite drawn to the head design... very thin and flat with rigid blade clamping.

Only while waiting for arrival and further research did I begin to have some suspicions. After receiving the razor this week, the handle is an obvious copy of the 'Merica but the head:

20231024_072402.jpg

20231024_080516.jpg

Published blade gap of .70mm, no blade exposure given but definitely positive. And what a shaver... only one shave in but so efficient that I skipped a shave yesterday. I really wasn't expecting much from that gap. My favs are Lupo 95, WR2 1.25, WR1 .74 and Blackbird to give you an idea. This is my kind of razor head. The only razor I skip shaves with is the Wolfman 1.25 so yeah, this head is nice.

So I ran (did not walk) to the Paradigm site to order one - the original designer of this bad boy deserves my money - but then hit the brakes. Emailed Andrew instead and trying to get a brushed version. I prefer light razors and have a spare Windrose brushed Ti handle that I think would go great with the Salient. If it doesn't work out, I'll likely just order the polished and attempt to brush it myself. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Well over a month ago I got a notice from AliX about a Yaqi Ti razor. I don't have any China made razors but I was quite drawn to the head design... very thin and flat with rigid blade clamping.

Only while waiting for arrival and further research did I begin to have some suspicions. After receiving the razor this week, the handle is an obvious copy of the 'Merica but the head:

View attachment 1737654

View attachment 1737656

Published blade gap of .70mm, no blade exposure given but definitely positive. And what a shaver... only one shave in but so efficient that I skipped a shave yesterday. I really wasn't expecting much from that gap. My favs are Lupo 95, WR2 1.25, WR1 .74 and Blackbird to give you an idea. This is my kind of razor head. The only razor I skip shaves with is the Wolfman 1.25 so yeah, this head is nice.

So I ran (did not walk) to the Paradigm site to order one - the original designer of this bad boy deserves my money - but then hit the brakes. Emailed Andrew instead and trying to get a brushed version. I prefer light razors and have a spare Windrose brushed Ti handle that I think would go great with the Salient. If it doesn't work out, I'll likely just order the polished and attempt to brush it myself. Wish me luck.
These have been sold in China for quite a while. I wonder if they are from the same source as the Paradigm?

Yaqi sources say 0.02mm positive exposure.

View attachment 1737654

View attachment 1737668

Great feed on the yaqi! I had also seen this on the Alix, actually something similar.
My opinion...I'll pass, I won't buy a Salient, it would be a duplicate of the razors I already own and which work magnificently

These have been sold in China for quite a while. I wonder if they are from the same source as the Paradigm?

Yaqi sources say 0.02mm positive exposure.
I can't find any published info on the Ghost blade exposure but the Salient is 0.12 I believe. My face calipers say this is more than 0.02 🤔

Regardless, I've been following a Salient thread in another forum and I'm going to spring for it. I don't know for sure if the Ghost is the exact same head but after studying photos side by side, it sure looks like it. When I get the Salient, I'll pull out my digital calipers and then do a shave-off.

Last edited:
Well I received my Salient razor. Andy did me up a brushed finish which I greatly appreciate.
20231109_113640.jpg

After getting a couple shaves in and giving the heads a good eyeball, it seems I was wrong about my previous suspicions about the Salient and the Yaqi Ghost being the same. The blade clamping is identical - think Blutt or Wolfman Guerrilla - although the Salient puts a wee bit more bend on the blade. On the underside of the base the Salient is a sharp 90° angle where the base meets the guard, like a WR2. The Ghost is curved, similar to the Lupo.
20231109_113334.jpg

20231109_113054.jpg

Also the Ghost shaves a lot milder. I think @lasta may be correct about the 0.02 exposure. It's quite mild but efficient with 10+ hour bbs the norm.
Salient has more blade feel and I'm staying smooth for around 12hrs before I feel stubble after a 2-pass plus touch-up shave.

I'm only two shaves in with the Salient but really enjoying it so far. However, my preference is lighter razors and I run Ti handles on all my SS razor heads. To me, the Salient was transformed when I coupled it with a Windrose Ti handle but again, that's just my preference... the SS handle is well balanced and the look has sort of grown on me after a while.

Overall, this is my kind of razor. A slim flat head, vise-like blade rigidity, a bit of blade feel and very nimble and maneuverable, especially under the nose. A good price also at $120 for a well designed SS razor. Just wanted to give an update... great shaves to all.

Salient paired with a Windrose Ti

20231109_113906.jpg

lasta

Blade Biter
Well I received my Salient razor. Andy did me up a brushed finish which I greatly appreciate.
View attachment 1745866

After getting a couple shaves in and giving the heads a good eyeball, it seems I was wrong about my previous suspicions about the Salient and the Yaqi Ghost being the same. The blade clamping is identical - think Blutt or Wolfman Guerrilla - although the Salient puts a wee bit more bend on the blade. On the underside of the base the Salient is a sharp 90° angle where the base meets the guard, like a WR2. The Ghost is curved, similar to the Lupo.
View attachment 1745870
View attachment 1745872
Also the Ghost shaves a lot milder. I think @lasta may be correct about the 0.02 exposure. It's quite mild but efficient with 10+ hour bbs the norm.
Salient has more blade feel and I'm staying smooth for around 12hrs before I feel stubble after a 2-pass plus touch-up shave.

I'm only two shaves in with the Salient but really enjoying it so far. However, my preference is lighter razors and I run Ti handles on all my SS razor heads. To me, the Salient was transformed when I coupled it with a Windrose Ti handle but again, that's just my preference... the SS handle is well balanced and the look has sort of grown on me after a while.

Overall, this is my kind of razor. A slim flat head, vise-like blade rigidity, a bit of blade feel and very nimble and maneuverable, especially under the nose. A good price also at $120 for a well designed SS razor. Just wanted to give an update... great shaves to all.

Salient paired with a Windrose Ti

View attachment 1745885
Glad you are enjoying your new toys!

A bit of polish and these can be shiny shiny in no time!

Glad you are enjoying your new toys!

A bit of polish and these can be shiny shiny in no time!

Haha, I have shiny-shiny razors out the yinyang. I actually wanted something different this time around. Although I did dremel polish the top of the Ghost cap a bit to give it a very low-key shine. Honestly, I regret it in hindsight... that factory dark satin finish on the Ghost is really nice and at $136 for a great performing Ti razor... a bit of a no-brainer from my perspective.

It seems like Chinese razors can be very good, based on quite a few different threads, including this one.

Top Bottom