What's new

Paradigm Salient 316?

No, muzichead is correct. I thought they'd show up as "out of stock" once the available units sold out.
I haven't canceled my order since I still want the razor and can wait a few weeks, but it does suck.
Well hopefully the razor is worth the wait for you guys. I'm sure we all have plenty of razors to use in the meantime!

I guess everyone would like to know what happened. Definitely not an ideal product launch but hopefully it gets back on track soon.

At this point I'm inclined to assume this was nothing more than a pre-sale cash grab to raise capitol and he never had the razors physically in stock which he's done in the past!!
I’ve seen at least several people who have their razors, so while not having them all shipped out yet is obviously lame I do think it’s a bit of a stretch to be accusing him of that…

I’ve seen at least several people who have their razors, so while not having them all shipped out yet is obviously lame I do think it’s a bit of a stretch to be accusing him of that…
I've checked out 5-6 different forums and found nada which is why I made the comment I did... Just going by Andy's past I didn't think it was a very far stretch in my assumption!!

Hello folks - Ive got mine and found this thread. I ordered over TRC and got it pretty fast to Europe. So I didnt have the problems with the paradigm shop. Im a bit shocked to read that DS has the same razor. Here are some picture. First shaves went well. Not a super exciting razor. Does his Work good. Need a milder blade. Overall efficient.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-16-06-24-38-40_3a637037d35f95c5dbcdcc75e697ce91.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-16-06-24-38-40_3a637037d35f95c5dbcdcc75e697ce91.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20230615_102441.jpg
    IMG_20230615_102441.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 84
Hello folks - Ive got mine and found this thread. I ordered over TRC and got it pretty fast to Europe. So I didnt have the problems with the paradigm shop. Im a bit shocked to read that DS has the same razor. Here are some picture. First shaves went well. Not a super exciting razor. Does his Work good. Need a milder blade. Overall efficient.
I seriously doubt the Salient and the DS are the same razor. I wouldn't pay much attention to that.

I don't know exactly what happened with this razor. It would be helpful to know how many of these were produced and actually on hand when sales began. Were these sales actually presales to generate the capital to fund production which had not begun yet? If so, was it disclosed to buyers?

Phil at BullGoose brought the early Paradigm models to market and they were superb razors. Regrettably, Paradigm then took $10,000 from Phil to produce a new model and never delivered a single razor. The $10,000 was ultimately returned, but only after there was a strong backlash against Paradigm on shaving forums. I would never buy another product from a vendor which engaged in that type of conduct. I accept the myriad of unforseen issues that may arise in producing a razor and which are beyond the vendor's control. I do not accept what, in my opinion, is fraud.

I don't know exactly what happened with this razor. It would be helpful to know how many of these were produced and actually on hand when sales began. Were these sales actually presales to generate the capital to fund production which had not begun yet? If so, was it disclosed to buyers?
I have a feeling that there won't really be a straight answer provided about this. I haven't seen anyone across a few forums that has gotten an answer from Paradigm (I forget his name?), and I don't see that he's chimed in anywhere to clarify any questions or concerns. I also wonder if people who bought the razor along with the Grooming Dept soap that released at the same time are waiting for both items, or if the soap shipped on its own with razors to follow (not that that's any more acceptable). If the soaps haven't shipped either, it's even more money that Paradigm is just holding onto.

I have a feeling that there won't really be a straight answer provided about this. I haven't seen anyone across a few forums that has gotten an answer from Paradigm (I forget his name?), and I don't see that he's chimed in anywhere to clarify any questions or concerns. I also wonder if people who bought the razor along with the Grooming Dept soap that released at the same time are waiting for both items, or if the soap shipped on its own with razors to follow (not that that's any more acceptable). If the soaps haven't shipped either, it's even more money that Paradigm is just holding onto.
Soaps did not ship while waiting for more inventory.
My razor should be arriving in 2 days. It's already in USPS' possession.

Ok guys, I've taken long enough to review this razor, so here it is....

I wasn't happy with the aesthetics when I first saw it, and didn't like the handle, but now that I have it, it isn't nearly as bad. The handle while not the prettiest, is very comfortable. The razor seems very well built, so there shouldn't be any concerns about quality because it was made in China.

Shaving WTG feels great. It's efficient enough and smooth. But unfortunately, I have not been able to get along with it going ATG. I get a ton of nicks and a decent amount of irritation, which I never ever get.

I tend to like more efficient, blade forward razors, so I'm not sure why this one isn't working for me. Brian's (charcoal goods) razors also didn't work for me. Not even the L2, so there's that.

All in all, I think this razor is a great value. Don't let my experience deter you as everyone is different and you can't really know if you'll like something until you try it. Plus, Andy has a 30 day return policy.

I'm not giving up on it yet. I'll give it another go in the future.

Hey guys,

My initial impressions of this razor were absolutely abysmal. In fact, it gave me THE worst shaves ever. I got irritation like I've never gotten before with a DE. It was so bad, I was close to seeing a dermatologist. For context, I can shave with a Feather DX and a pro super blade without issues.

However I decided to revisit it again today and made a very conscious effort to keep the shaving angle as shallow as possible, and this razor went from one of the worst ever, to one of the best. Totally different experience. I shaved ATG as I always do, and there were zero nicks/irritation. It was a perfect shave! It couldn't be smoother and efficacy was medium-high, but closer to high.

Andy did mention that this is the best razor he's made, I believe it now! It was even smoother (and more efficient) than the diamondback.

If anyone is having issues with this razor, I would suggest to go shallow. When you think you're using a shallow angle, go even more shallow. Especially when shaving ATG. It is much more forgiving WTG.

Andy saw my comment about preferring the satin finish over the polished one, and he reached out to me and send me the satin, so much appreciated for that as I love the satin version and I'm generally not a fan of polished finishes.

I think people will be very happy with this razor and it's well worth the wait. The price is more than fair. I can't recommend it enough now!

I bought the razor on the drop day (5/26/2023 at 12:53 PM, EST). I was hoping that it would ship within a couple of days (the drop day was on a Friday), maybe on that Monday or Tuesday. It did not. Andy sent a mass email on 5/30/2023 with this message:
Dear Customer:

Owing to overwhelming response, we have found ourselves short of inventory! Please be assured that the delay will be short, and I will keep you updated.

Thank you for your patience!

Andy Andersen

I ended up canceling the order exactly one month later (6/26/23), since it did not ship. Now in fairness, Andy did answer emails very quickly, and offered a refund without any issues.

Paradigm Shaveware website has them in stock in both satin & polished finish as I write this. As per their description they are ready to ship as all backorders have been fulfilled.

A copy & paste from the email.

Find your daily driver​

The Salient is a remarkably smooth and efficient razor, CNC machined in 316 stainless. All back orders have been fulfilled, and it is in stock and ready to ship! Thanks to all you Paradigm fans for your patience and support!!

We also have stock on GD Chamomile and Lemon soap in the Kairos base, a Paradigm exclusive. The scent is relaxing from chamomile, balanced with a hint of tartness from lemon. For a limited time, purchase a razor and a soap and receive 10% off. Free shipping domestically on orders which include a razor, and a 30 day, ironclad return guarantee.

The Salient is available for $119.95, in your choice of finishes, polished or satin. Soaps individually are $27.

No, I didn't bite....:001_rolle

F7339221-2144-4D61-BBA7-FC8EA6B2EFE0_d76b7bed-1a02-4744-a185-8d65e5149ee6_900x.jpg

B8F00147-B0D5-46A3-9E5B-727D2EE0F539_900x.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom