What's new

Paradigm DB Titanium

Did a little experiment this morning with two days' growth. People have been saying that this razor works best a little steeper. By nature I am a shallow-angle shaver, which is probably why I love the Legacy so much (and also enjoy the Karve CB).

Anyway, the Paradigm offers a fairly wide window of useful shaving, so this morning I decide to share as shallowly as possible on the left side of my face, and as steeply as possible on the right. I made a fantastic, rich lather with Stone Cottage Soapworks cream and set to work.

It felt smoother and more comfortable on the shallow side. On the steep side i could feel a little tugging of the whiskers, especially in the denser spots. It was downright uncomfortable on certain parts of the neck.

Rinsing off after the first pass, reduction was slightly better on the steep angle side.

For the second pass, I gave up the idea of the comparison and just attempted to use it at the optimum angle for me, which ended up being neither the extra shallow nor the extra steep angle, but pretty much exactly in between the two. I had a great two-pass shave with no irritation or weepers.

My conclusion? The razor will shave competently at either a very shallow or a very steep angle, but it shaves best at what I would call a neutral angle. If forced to choose an extreme, I would go with shallow because I value comfort over efficiency, but fortunately we are not forced to choose either extreme.

If you are having any issues with the razor, fiddle with the angle a bit. If you feel tugging or think the blade feel is too much, try going shallower. If you feel that it is incredibly smooth but wish it were a tad bit more efficient, or want a bit more blade feel, try going a little steeper.

For me it clearly has a sweet spot that is right in the middle. When you hit the sweet spot, there will be just enough blade feel but the it will be very smooth, and reduction will be good.

Did a little experiment this morning with two days' growth. People have been saying that this razor works best a little steeper. By nature I am a shallow-angle shaver, which is probably why I love the Legacy so much (and also enjoy the Karve CB).

Anyway, the Paradigm offers a fairly wide window of useful shaving, so this morning I decide to share as shallowly as possible on the left side of my face, and as steeply as possible on the right. I made a fantastic, rich lather with Stone Cottage Soapworks cream and set to work.

It felt smoother and more comfortable on the shallow side. On the steep side i could feel a little tugging of the whiskers, especially in the denser spots. It was downright uncomfortable on certain parts of the neck.

Rinsing off after the first pass, reduction was slightly better on the steep angle side.

For the second pass, I gave up the idea of the comparison and just attempted to use it at the optimum angle for me, which ended up being neither the extra shallow nor the extra steep angle, but pretty much exactly in between the two. I had a great two-pass shave with no irritation or weepers.

My conclusion? The razor will shave competently at either a very shallow or a very steep angle, but it shaves best at what I would call a neutral angle. If forced to choose an extreme, I would go with shallow because I value comfort over efficiency, but fortunately we are not forced to choose either extreme.

If you are having any issues with the razor, fiddle with the angle a bit. If you feel tugging or think the blade feel is too much, try going shallower. If you feel that it is incredibly smooth but wish it were a tad bit more efficient, or want a bit more blade feel, try going a little steeper.

For me it clearly has a sweet spot that is right in the middle. When you hit the sweet spot, there will be just enough blade feel but the it will be very smooth, and reduction will be good.
Which blade(s) are you finding acceptable for your shaves?

I've made a pre-order yesterday and I'm glad that the price is still somewhat reasonable. I was very shocked when I found out about it's first pre-order release and I was too late to grab one, but this time I came just in time.

The only two other modern razors that I find tempting and interesting are the Velocity One and the Smart-Helix Apollo Light.

I'm not sure if I will ever go for the Velocity One, but I really want an Apollo Light with the more aggressive plate and hopefully one day when things get better for the company, they will once again start making them.

I've made a pre-order yesterday and I'm glad that the price is still somewhat reasonable. I was very shocked when I found out about it's first pre-order release and I was too late to grab one, but this time I came just in time.

The only two other modern razors that I find tempting and interesting are the Velocity One and the Smart-Helix Apollo Light.

I'm not sure if I will ever go for the Velocity One, but I really want an Apollo Light with the more aggressive plate and hopefully one day when things get better for the company, they will once again start making them.
A gently used went for sale on the bay last week. 310+ shipping.

Top Bottom