What's new

Paradigm Salient 316?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had such dreadful experiences with the Yaqi Sentinel.... They changed the design with no notification.......... I don't feel comfortable taking a risk on any more of their razors. It isn't a huge sacrifice... I have quite a few nice razors to keep me occupied.

IMG_0195.jpeg

Wonderful shaver 🤩

I thought I'd post this here also since it deals with the Salient. From the Yaqi Ghost thread.

Sorry for the delay, but between work and trying to tear myself away from the Drakkant Ti... well, yeah.

Yaqi Ghost 90SB vs Paradigm Salient

20240330_190843.jpg

TLDR; I prefer the Salient but I admit, the polished Ghost is some real eye candy on the razorock haloed ufo handle.

So I finally got a shave in tonight using both razors; Ghost 90SB vs Salient.
Fresh Wizamet Blades in both and attached identical Windrose Ti handles to both for the test.

Salient on the right side of face, Ghost took the left, but here's where things got strange. The Ghost is highly polished and the Salient is brushed finish. With the 90 gap on the Ghost and minimal blade exposure compared to the Salient's .12mm, I was expecting it to feel smoother. But for me, on the actual wtg cutting stroke on 2 day's growth, the Salient felt smoother even though it gives a tad more blade feel.

Also even though the Salient is smaller gap (0.70), it felt a bit easier to tweak the angle, especially when working the jawline. The Ghost desired a wee bit shallower angle but seemed more insistent about me using it, and only it. Not to take anything away from the Ghost as it was a very acceptable shave but I found myself preferring the Salient. Both razors performed well ATG but the Salient was just a more comfortable and efficient shave, especially under my jaw. My face is very angular and getting the underside of the jawline bbs can be difficult. The Salient had no problem. The difference in efficiency was not huge, but definitely noticeable after the shave while rubbing my hands around my face. Salient > Ghost 90 > Ghost70
in my estimation.

In fact, my opinion on the Salient has gone up a couple notches. It seems to fly under the radar and not get a lot of love. Perhaps due to some manufactured in China stigma even though it's designed by Paradigm Shaveware. The same might be said of the Aylsworth Apex, another stellar performer.

Anyway, that's my take. Hope it was helpful.

Last edited:
I just had my first shave with the Paradigm Salient. The previous three shaves were with the Yaqi Ghost 90. The Salient is a completely different razor. The Ghost 90 is just a hair positive, the Salient has quite a bit of exposure. Therefore the Salient has a lot more bladefeel than the Ghost and is a lot more efficient/aggressive. The Ghost has a very narrow angle at which it cuts, but it is pretty easy to find. The Salient has a wider angle where it will cut whiskers (or you).

The Salient is a shallow shaver. I got a close shave, no weepers, but a significant amount of warmth from alcohol. I'll need to keep it lighter and perhaps a bit more shallow in future shaves.

I just had my first shave with the Paradigm Salient. The previous three shaves were with the Yaqi Ghost 90. The Salient is a completely different razor. The Ghost 90 is just a hair positive, the Salient has quite a bit of exposure. Therefore the Salient has a lot more bladefeel than the Ghost and is a lot more efficient/aggressive. The Ghost has a very narrow angle at which it cuts, but it is pretty easy to find. The Salient has a wider angle where it will cut whiskers (or you).

The Salient is a shallow shaver. I got a close shave, no weepers, but a significant amount of warmth from alcohol. I'll need to keep it lighter and perhaps a bit more shallow in future shaves.
So how do the shaves differ from the Ghost. 90 and the Salient. I'm guessing the Salient is more efficient and the Ghost smoother?

So how do the shaves differ from the Ghost. 90 and the Salient. I'm guessing the Salient is more efficient and the Ghost smoother?

I want to emphasize that these razors are not in any way similar, other than both being DE razors. The Ghost 90 feels a bit like a Game Changer and the Salient feels somewhat along the lines of a Blackbird Lite. So yes, the Ghost is smoother and the Salient more efficient.

Top Bottom