Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9805.jpeg

Palmolive Sunday 28th of January 2024.​

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
How was the Bic Metal?
It was an interesting week. It weighs nothing so I was trying not to apply to much pressure but I had to use some. I had the angle wrong a few times as I had a fair bit of feedback from my Alum Block on certain days. I gave myself a decent cut under my nose just above my lip on the second day of use. Overall it is a decent travel razor, I am not sure that I would use it as a daily driver but certainly for travel.

It was an interesting week. It weighs nothing so I was trying not to apply to much pressure but I had to use some. I had the angle wrong a few times as I had a fair bit of feedback from my Alum Block on certain days. I gave myself a decent cut under my nose just above my lip on the second day of use. Overall it is a decent travel razor, I am not sure that I would use it as a daily driver but certainly for travel.
It angles like an Injector but you are right it’s superlight and invites to use more pressure than necessary. I always have to be careful ATG not to overdo it.

I don’t have a Palmolive shave to report, but I did just order the Italian Palmolive classic (red packaging) and Palmolive Rinfrescante from Maggards.
And it is Sunday.
So…that kind of counts as a Palmolive Sunday, right? 🌴🫒
It counts definitely! The red Italian one is just like the regular but as green is associated with menthol in Italy they came up with this color scheme.

Edit: excellent choice of Emoji’s :)

It counts definitely! The red Italian one is just like the regular but as green is associated with menthol in Italy they came up with this color scheme.

I am not so sure.

The red and the regular 65ml green for the Balkans are definitely different. Different scent. And the 65ml has a rather weak scent, not only different.

A couple of weeks ago I received 2 big 100 ml regular tubes (the ones for Western Europe). Will have to compare them against the red ones (which are only for Italy, Greece and Cyprus).

I am not so sure.

The red and the regular 65ml green for the Balkans are definitely different. Different scent. And the 65ml has a rather weak scent, not only different.

A couple of weeks ago I received 2 big 100 ml regular tubes (the ones for Western Europe). Will have to compare them against the red ones (which are only for Italy, Greece and Cyprus).
Yes I was comparing the 100ml tubes sold in Germany/Austria and Italy.

I’m new to wet shaving and haven’t tried any version of the Palmolives yet, just figured I’d grab that one since I was already placing an order at Maggards and they had it in stock, and it’s cool that they imported the Italian versions.
Plus, I like Maggards and want to support them.

Bonus points- it’s all written in Italian so it‘ll look extra fancy in my bathroom, ha!

One thing I wondered though- In reading through this thread, someone early on mentioned that Palm products are banned in the US (due to child labor laws?) and that the formula changed from palm to a coconut base.
It made me curious If these Italian versions or any other non-US versions still use palm?

I’m new to wet shaving and haven’t tried any version of the Palmolives yet, just figured I’d grab that one since I was already placing an order at Maggards and they had it in stock, and it’s cool that they imported the Italian versions.
Plus, I like Maggards and want to support them.

Bonus points- it’s all written in Italian so it‘ll look extra fancy in my bathroom, ha!

One thing I wondered though- In reading through this thread, someone early on mentioned that Palm products are banned in the US (due to child labor laws?) and that the formula changed from palm to a coconut base.
It made me curious If these Italian versions or any other non-US versions still use palm?
The European stuff is also without palm kernel oil.

7D6E877C-AEFC-4105-8646-5E04C9DB8B5A.jpeg

Here is the box of the current Australian Palmolive cream, made in Italy.
Palmolive-Woolworths.jpg

Palmolive-Woolworths-2.jpg
It advertises "with coconut extract" on the box. From my experience, it's the same as the EU market cream.

I have a 2016 era tube of Italian made European market cream (you can check when your tube has been made on CheckFresh, freshness might impact aroma also), the ingredients are basically the same, it lists "palm extract 0.1%", but the ingredients list coconut extract. The order
1708916233214.png
One change I am aware of is removal of a preservative (hydroxyisowhatever), but that isn't a new change (2018?), I think the label in the above post by Multum in parvo is outdated.
I doubt any US laws have affected the formula, as it isn't officially distributed there AFAIK.

I have the classic red and a green one (with palm extract). While neither of them are home-runs, there is a reason On Base Percentage became such a prized statistic in Moneyball. However, over here in this big market they are priced mostly the same as Proraso Blue. I do enjoy them, especially with a dialed in blade and razor combo.

Top Bottom