What's new

Osyri's Randomness Journal

Finally started my journal today after a fabulous weekend at Vegas! My first official shave was on 9/21/23 Thanks to a nice beginner PIF from @Berwick12

Here is a recap of my first shave

Overall 8/10 shave. Irritated skin almost BBS
Gilette Tech w/ Nacet blade
proraso green soap
Sterling after shave balm sandpiper scent
Here is my 1st experience while its still fresh on my head:
Gillette Tech with Nacet Blades gave me a great experience, much better than the Weidi and my carts (mach 3, fushion, custom3 pro). After the first pass WTG, I felt it was just as safe as a cart, so I went ATG on my 2nd pass like I do carts, It went smoothly and effortlessly. 3rd pass is also ATG and pretty much using it the same as my mach 3, the soap felt so smooth and slick. I thought it would protect my skin better, so I tried for a complete BBS, feeling around my face and neck and going ATG trying to get as close as I can. That end up with the 2 cuts on neck and underjaw. I know I was putting a lot of pressure on it trying to cut it closer, but it just won't cut. Going ATG on mustache gave me a tiny cut on top lips that I felt no pain, once I wipe off the blood, it never came back.
After I rinse off and towel dry my face, i started feeling the burning sensation on neck and chin area, applied the Sterling after shave balm, it stung for a good minutes. those area stayed red for a while but when the aftershave dried, i felt BBS. it has never been this smooth before. feeling it now (couple hours later), there is always that patch or few hair on my left and right underjaw. I can also feel a line of hair stubble on my neck area when i rub it ATG. Is this consider BBS or DFS?
My thoughts, the feeling of smooth and silkly lather hooked me.I have 3 more soaps to try in my sample pack. the proraso green is very soft and easy to lather, the other 3 samples I have are harder, how do I lather it? soak it in water and let it dissolve?

Now for the randomness:

Dedicated to @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

A SWCT Tribute : Origin of Osyri's AD

A Padawan tries to buy disposable razors to no avail, orders a Weidi DE razor and badly injures himself due to prep, seeks help from forum about obtaining the essentials needed.

On the thread, Palpatine (SWCT) eagerly encourages this Padawan, what motives does he have? he drops hints but eases off strategically, he awaits for the right moment. Padawan knows he is scheming, yet he is tempted! Many allies of Palpatine (@cajunrph and @blethenstrom are 2 names that stood out) are giving out suggestions (ads, PHOTOS, product placement, bait, etc) to introduce, I meant warn about the rabbit hole.

Hope is not lost, Yoda (Berwick12) gifted Padawan a care-package to start and warns him of the MANY darksides. "You need not more razors, learn to shave first, you must!"

Alas, Padawan begins his first DE adventure with proper essential shaving gears!

Who is SWCT? He is an Enabler, enabling me to learn how to shave =D, One of his post on my thread showed so much enthusiasm looking forward to my first proper shave, it pumped me up and sort of gave me a boost, motivation, and horns (damn, his evil plan is working, Don't plan on going to the dark side if possible, but he is a damn good motivator and cheerleader. One day (in the far future), I plan to own the Polish TIMELESS titanium razor just like his intro page.
Thank you everyone for ~motivation, inspiration, goals, evil plans and all!~

You show much promise. Remember to use the farce!

If you are getting irritation, it usually means you are using too much pressure. This is a habit carried over from shaving with cartridge razors. Just try to gently slide the razor over the face, without pressing too hard. Keep the blade angle neutral, so you are not scraping the skin. It may help to stretch the skin in advance of the blade. Shave prep is also important, so wash the face and let the whiskers soak up water for at least a couple of minutes before you start in with the razor.

You lather harder soaps using a firm shaving brush. There's an art to it, which you'll learn by practice. Just get the brush damp, swirl over the soap until you have a soap paste loaded into the brush, then apply to the face similar to shaving cream. You'll need to add a bit of water two or three times and work it into the lather until you get the proper lather consistency to shave with. There should be a sheen or gleam on the lather without the lather being too wet and runny.

Those on the Dark Side may lather using a bowl instead of face lathering.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hey there @Osyri ! I'm glad you finally got around to making a journal, it gives me the excuse I need to enable you some more, with pictures your not going to believe until you see them lol. :devil: As you know, when you PM'd the three of us, we already gave you all our shaving tips to help you out, so I won't be doing that again here.

I will continue to follow your journal post, and monitor your progress. Continue to practice traditional wet shaving with an DE, and you will just get better and better. I have complete faith in you! I expect great things from an awesome padawon, may the force be with you.

Star Wars Goodbye GIF

And since you already demonstrated that you have fallen down the rabbit hole, I shall share with you nearly 2-years of acquisitions.

Here is my shave soap shelf...

proxy.php

Here Is My Aftershave Shelf...

proxy.php

Including Menthol To Increase My Cool Factor! 😎

Here Is The Current State Of
My Razor Blades Collection!

proxy.php

Here Are Pictures Of My Shaving Bowls!

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
IMG_4074.JPG

My Cayune Workshop Dark Nebula shave bowl is my favorite.

proxy.php

My Razor & Brush Collection Hanging On Hand Made
Cherry Hard Wood Stand, Made By Artist On Etsy!

proxy.php

proxy.php

These are old pictures, I've acquired a couple new razors since these were taken.

OK, I think that about covers it, feel free to dive into the depths of the rabbit hole when you are ready. Just know, it will be your decision, and your decision alone to leap down into the rabbit hole. I can only show you where it is, you are the one who has to jump into it. ;) Welcome to traditional wet shaving my friend, may years of enjoyment await you, on your journal towards wet shaving enlightenment.

SWCT puts on his cool shades like Arnald Swartsanager
proxy.php

terminator ill be back GIF

PS: Don't forget your menthol Pre-Shave
proxy.php

Hey there @Osyri ! I'm glad you finally got around to making a journal, it gives me the excuse I need to enable you some more, with pictures your not going to believe until you see them lol. :devil: As you know, when you PM'd the three of us, we already gave you all our shaving tips to help you out, so I won't be doing that again here.

I will continue to follow your journal post, and monitor your progress. Continue to practice traditional wet shaving with an DE, and you will just get better and better. I have complete faith in you! I expect great things from an awesome padawon, may the force be with you.

Star Wars Goodbye GIF

And since you already demonstrated that you have fallen down the rabbit hole, I shall share with you nearly 2-years of acquisitions.

Here is my shave soap shelf...

proxy.php

Here Is My Aftershave Shelf...

proxy.php

Including Menthol To Increase My Cool Factor! 😎

Here Is The Current State Of
My Razor Blades Collection!

proxy.php

Here Are Pictures Of My Shaving Bowls!

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
View attachment 1722911

My Cayune Workshop Dark Nebula shave bowl is my favorite.

proxy.php

My Razor & Brush Collection Hanging On Hand Made
Cherry Hard Wood Stand, Made By Artist On Etsy!

proxy.php

proxy.php

These are old pictures, I've acquired a couple new razors since these were taken.

OK, I think that about covers it, feel free to dive into the depths of the rabbit hole when you are ready. Just know, it will be your decision, and your decision alone to leap down into the rabbit hole. I can only show you where it is, you are the one who has to jump into it. ;) Welcome to traditional wet shaving my friend, may years of enjoyment await you, on your journal towards wet shaving enlightenment.

SWCT puts on his cool shades like Arnald Swartsanager
proxy.php

terminator ill be back GIF

PS: Don't forget your menthol Pre-Shave
proxy.php
You are truly the enabler of enablers. What is thou bidding master SWCT? Young @Osyri is already ours it seems like. Who is the next one that we should reach for the Dark side of shaving?
Revenge Of The Sith Evil Laugh GIF by Star Wars

You show much promise. Remember to use the farce!

Those on the Dark Side may lather using a bowl instead of face lathering.
"We call upon the Three. Light. Dark. And Balance true. One is no greater than the others. Together, they unite, restore, center, and renew. We walk into the light, acknowledge the dark, and find balance within ourselves. The Farce is strong."

9/25/23 Shave

Overall 7/10 shave. Acceptable almost DFS? 3 big cuts on lower neck near Adam's Apple
Gilette Tech w/ Nacet blade (2nd time on blade) i felt the blade got sharper
Maca Root Shave Gel
NIvea aftershave Balm
Aloe Vera for preshave and post soothing

I must have disrupted the force, Got 3 nasty cuts on lower neck, it could have been the Aloe Vera, will look into that!

At first I wanted to try the ESP /praise - paa shaving soap, but I failed to lather it so I went with the Maca Root shave cream my GF picked out! I knew today I was not gonna try BBS based on my last experience on 9/21. On the drive back, I have a conversaton with my GF about shaving, and she told me this trick she used to shave her legs and introduced me to Aloe Vera. Lets call it "Jedi Mind Trick", Here I am today using Aloe Vera as my preshave and post shave attempt.

It went on slimy and I washed it off after a minutes and apply the shave cream, wowser, I like the scent! I planned on doing 2 passes, WTG and XTG.
WTG went on without a hitch and while its not as close as I like it, I continue on to my neck area, and cut myself (painfully) right blow my Adam's Apple, I must have place the razor down with too much force, left it alone and continue going WTG on my neck and got 2 more cuts. Did the blade get sharper? Have I forgotten how to shave?

Doing WTG and XTG didn't give me as close, but it was decent and acceptable! Aloe did help sooth my cuts, washed it off and applied Nivea.

Randomness :

I forgot to pack my razors for my Vegas trip, so on 9/22 night, i used the razor from the hotel with bar soap, I didn't pay it no mind as it was a quick shave to look presentable, It was however uncomfortable and drying my skin.

9/23 when I was able to call the conciege for a new razor, my gf asked me to use hers, so I used a Venus razor with satin gel. It looked almost like a Gilette Fusion and shave almost the same.

I strongly believe shaving witih carts on the trip has affected me, I had to find something to blame and this is it!

Attachments

• sept25shave.jpg
    sept25shave.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21

Great Advices on the PM, thank you!

I will post pictures of what I have acquired once everything has arrived and sorted out!

You are truly the enabler of enablers. What is thou bidding master SWCT? Young @Osyri is already ours it seems like. Who is the next one that we should reach for the Dark side of shaving?
Revenge Of The Sith Evil Laugh GIF by Star Wars
Too soon to tell at the moment, I am merely stocking up like a well prepared Jedi in training!

Thank you for sharing your journal and naming accomplices, @Osyri !
There are a lot more that I haven't listed, lol! You are also one of them =D

I thank everyone who has guided me thru a tough time when I was using a DE with shave gel and the warm welcomes, there was too much to list and thank, it would be like a movie ending credits if I were to list them all. (not many people sit thru them)

1 item keeps popping in my mind and its ARKO, some hate it some love it, I must try it one day!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Sorry you got some bad nicks on your neck, nothing like bleeding crimson gold, to be a teacher. I've been down weeper river several times, and the reaper is at the end, demanding payment in crimson gold. We all have to go through it, like I said, when your new, your going to make mistakes, thats how you learn. I expect that you will improve in time.

And in regards to Arko, I can see you don't fully understand, truth is neither did I, at first. That is until, I got my first stick of Arko, the scent was so strong, I could smell it through the closed wrapper. And then once I peeled it open, I still couldn't believe how strong it was, when I hadn't even gotten the soap wet yet. Once I applied the Arko to my face, the scent was really quite strong.

It was at this moment that I felt like I was enduring an endurance test. Of course the Arko was trying to get me to tell it the location of the rebel base, but I did not cave, but I did have a shave. The performance was strong with that one, one of the slickest soaps I've ever used. If you don't pass out from the scent, you will be amazed how it offers the true glide, that really brings your shave over to the dark side.

proxy.php

But I worn you, for those who are not prepared for the ultimate power of the Arko shave soap, it may cause your eyes to burn, and your face to melt. Make sure you are well prepared padawon.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I only have one scented soap left: the Acca Kappa Barbershop. It has a very light scent and a mild menthol smell.... I guess Peppermint is one of the ingredients. I can use it sparingly but my face does react to it. Not as bad as the soaps I passed on but a little bit.

I have a select few unscented soaps. All of them work well, thankfully. I would say my standard is still Canada Shaving Soap, even though I like the others.

For that reason, I'll never enjoy the fresh ____smell of ARKO!. I think I'll manage to get over it. <eg>

"We call upon the Three. Light. Dark. And Balance true. One is no greater than the others. Together, they unite, restore, center, and renew. We walk into the light, acknowledge the dark, and find balance within ourselves. The Farce is strong."

9/25/23 Shave

Overall 7/10 shave. Acceptable almost DFS? 3 big cuts on lower neck near Adam's Apple
Gilette Tech w/ Nacet blade (2nd time on blade) i felt the blade got sharper
Maca Root Shave Gel
NIvea aftershave Balm
Aloe Vera for preshave and post soothing

I must have disrupted the force, Got 3 nasty cuts on lower neck, it could have been the Aloe Vera, will look into that!

At first I wanted to try the ESP /praise - paa shaving soap, but I failed to lather it so I went with the Maca Root shave cream my GF picked out! I knew today I was not gonna try BBS based on my last experience on 9/21. On the drive back, I have a conversaton with my GF about shaving, and she told me this trick she used to shave her legs and introduced me to Aloe Vera. Lets call it "Jedi Mind Trick", Here I am today using Aloe Vera as my preshave and post shave attempt.

It went on slimy and I washed it off after a minutes and apply the shave cream, wowser, I like the scent! I planned on doing 2 passes, WTG and XTG.
WTG went on without a hitch and while its not as close as I like it, I continue on to my neck area, and cut myself (painfully) right blow my Adam's Apple, I must have place the razor down with too much force, left it alone and continue going WTG on my neck and got 2 more cuts. Did the blade get sharper? Have I forgotten how to shave?

Doing WTG and XTG didn't give me as close, but it was decent and acceptable! Aloe did help sooth my cuts, washed it off and applied Nivea.

Randomness :

I forgot to pack my razors for my Vegas trip, so on 9/22 night, i used the razor from the hotel with bar soap, I didn't pay it no mind as it was a quick shave to look presentable, It was however uncomfortable and drying my skin.

9/23 when I was able to call the conciege for a new razor, my gf asked me to use hers, so I used a Venus razor with satin gel. It looked almost like a Gilette Fusion and shave almost the same.

I strongly believe shaving witih carts on the trip has affected me, I had to find something to blame and this is it!
I am sorry for your cuts there and unfortunately it happens to all of us. Especially when we started out. Hopefully you heal up quickly. Over time you will learn that certain areas on your face you have to be more careful with than others. several I have issues around the Adam's apple and besides the hair grows in wild patterns there anyways.

Less pressure, less pressure, less pressure is the word. Think of it as you are only removing the lather. As far as lathering go and the success or failure thereof. It just takes practice. I would suggest just lathering a bowl of lather to practice, without shaving. Take your time and make sure you can make a bowl of nice lather, not bubbly lather. It may take you a few tries. Use the soap you have the most of and don't waste your samples while learning.

On the topic of if the Nacet got sharper the second shave. I am not sure if the Nacets are coated, but if they are, they may feel sharper the second shave since the first shave removed the coating.

And in regards to Arko, I can see you don't fully understand, truth is neither did I, at first. That is until, I got my first stick of Arko, the scent was so strong, I could smell it through the closed wrapper. And then once I peeled it open, I still couldn't believe how strong it was, when I hadn't even gotten the soap wet yet. Once I applied the Arko to my face, the scent was really quite strong.

It was at this moment that I felt like I was enduring an endurance test. Of course the Arko was trying to get me to tell it the location of the rebel base, but I did not cave, but I did have a shave. The performance was strong with that one, one of the slickest soaps I've ever used. If you don't pass out from the scent, you will be amazed how it offers the true glide, that really brings your shave over to the dark side.

proxy.php

But I worn you, for those who are not prepared for the ultimate power of the Arko shave soap, it may cause your eyes to burn, and your face to melt. Make sure you are well prepared padawon.

proxy.php

proxy.php
The nigh-lethal blast of citronella dissipates quickly from ARKO! leaving a mixture of lemon/patchouli/musk if you let it air out. I have a puck of William’s Mug Soap that took more than a year to stop reeking of bug repellent.
For that reason, I'll never enjoy the fresh ____smell of ARKO!. I think I'll manage to get over it. <eg>
Marketers! Please take note here, this is how you entice someone, I mean This is how you sell an item! Give it Fear, Give it Mystery, Give it Panic!

With that said, should I order the 3.17oz in a bowl? or 2 sticks (2.64 oz) almost same price $6.50.

Figure if I can't handle the dark side, I would PIF it hehehehe

proxy.php

or

proxy.php

Plot thickens, I cancelled my bowl order and ordered the 12 pack :em2100:

I tell myself I will brave whatever arrives on Wednesday and I have a high tolerance against smells

how would one lather with the arko stick on a bowl, give me some advice or I'll just experiment on wednesday on face and bowl. Got nose plugs ready
:w00t:

Last edited:
how would one lather with the arko stick on a bowl, give me some advice or I'll just experiment on wednesday on face and bowl.
It's pretty soft, there is a video of a Turkish barber working the whole stick by hand. I smooshed one into a standard jar, but you could just cut off a slice and smoosh it into the bottom of your bowl. Just make sure the bowl is corrosion resistant(like a urinal)! :wink2:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Plot thickens, I cancelled my bowl order and ordered the 12 pack :em2100:

I tell myself I will brave whatever arrives on Wednesday and I have a high tolerance against smells

how would one lather with the arko stick on a bowl, give me some advice or I'll just experiment on wednesday on face and bowl. Got nose plugs ready
:w00t:

revenge of the sith episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Gooooood....Gooooood

Feel the ARKO force flowing through you young padawon.

Shave sticks, regardless of brand, are all about simplicity. You don't need a bowl to use them. Peel back about 1/8 of the foil wrapper off the end. Then wet your face and neck, then start rubbing the stick on your skin.

Make sure to coat your skin well. Now grab your brush, give it a quick skinny dip in the sink pool, shake the brush out at least once, then begin working up a lather on your face.

Remember, you can work up an amazing high performance lather with ARKO. But she's a thirsty soap. Your goal is a creamy yogurt lather consistency. Make sure to keep the soap hydrated on the face.

Top Bottom