What's new

Orient Watches

I've been looking for an inexpensive (under 150.00) chrono for everyday use. I came upon this Orient. Anyone know anything about them? So far I believe that the quartz watches use Seiko movements and their mechanical use their in-house movements, is this really the case? Your opinions are appreciated.

View attachment 52767

Seiko owns the line. They are fine Japanese timepieces. Automatics use in-house movements. I like this line.

Seiko owns the line. They are fine Japanese timepieces. Automatics use in-house movements. I like this line.

I'm glad to hear that, especially coming from a watch connoisseur like yourself.

My only concern now is the size. I don't know if 43mm might look too big.

I'm glad to hear that, especially coming from a watch connoisseur like yourself.

My only concern now is the size. I don't know if 43mm might look too big.

You may want to stop by a jewelry store and ask to try out watches of that size. It will give you an idea before you buy.

Strikingly similar to the Jorg Gray that Pres. Obama famously wears:

proxy.php

You may want to stop by a jewelry store and ask to try out watches of that size. It will give you an idea before you buy.
That would be the reasonable thing to do... but now that I found it, I'm not waiting
Good looking timepiece. Classic lines.
Yeah, I really like the looks of it.
Strikingly similar to the Jorg Gray that Pres. Obama famously wears:

proxy.php

I actually looked at this watch, the commemorative version without the Secret Service shield. Very good looking watch, has a Citizen movement. But unfortunately it's out of my price range.

I like the look myself...my Technomarine US Navy watch is from the same design concept, although a bit more "martial." I think for daily use I would prefer both of the above...I don't often wear my Technomarine...its so big.
proxy.php

It does look a little bulky for every day use, but it's a really cool watch.

I was also considering this Junkers G-38. Priced about the same as the Jorg.

View attachment 52796

Last edited:
Seiko owns them? I thought they had a controlling share, but Orient is still its own entity.

In any case they are great timepieces that are extremely well built (typical of Japanese watches) and feature workhorse movements that will last forever.

I already have one; I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. They are every bit the equal of Seiko for a little less coin.

Take a look at some of the stuff this guy has:

Yobokies

He's a fairly popular watch seller from the PMWF forums. I've purchased stuff from him before and I highly recommend his services. You can get high quality Seikos that are modded with custom dials & hands - so you get a nice watch that doesn't look exactly like every other watch out there.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Seiko originally owned orient and then spun them off and now they own a controlling interest in them. Most orient basic mechanical mvmts are based on the seiko 7S26 though less finished (if that's possible). Its a great bang for the buck watch.

I don't think that Seiko originally owned Orient, or that Orient was spin off of Seiko. According to the site:

"Orient Watch was established in July 1950 in Tokyo as a manufacturer of wristwatches. Its predecessor dates back to 1901, when Shogoro Yoshida, the founder, opened a wholesale store of watches in Ueno, one of the commercial districts in downtown Tokyo."

According to wiki, it was not until March of this year that Orient became a wholly owned subsidiary of the Seiko Epson Corporation. How long they had a controlling share prior, I'm not really clear on that. I think it was either '85 or '95.

As far as their automatic movements, the one thing that kept popping up was that they're their own in-house design, not Seiko. It is the quartz watches that are Seiko or at least based on Seiko. But it seems that they also produce they're own as well. I'm not really clear on this either.

Anyway, my new Orient should be here in about a week:smile:

Last edited:
Speaking of automatic Seiko's, here's a pic of mine, along with several other of its box mates. The "bullhead" Seiko is a 1978 and it would take you to the bottom if you went overboard with it on! The Heuer Autavia is my father's and the Heuer Carerra is my daily watch. The Movado is a mid 1960s, I've never been able to confirm the exact year, made for Tiffany's.
proxy.php
\
So with my Pirelli and Technomarine pictured above, along with a few others, you could say I'm a bit of a watch junkie.

Brodirt, you have quite a collection, but I don't think I've seen you post on the "watcha wearing" thread.

BTW, I love your Pirelli. It has the same vibe as this Seiko Kinetic Sportura

proxy.php

Last edited:
Brodirt, you have quite a collection, but I don't think I've seen you post on the "watcha wearing" thread.

BTW, I love you're Pirelli.

I think I posted my Carerra once some time ago.

I don't like these OTD threads...too Twitter like for my taste. I don't and won't Tweet, so why psuedo-tweet here?

Twitter? you'll never catch me doing that...

But I like the watch thread. Some of the guys like Austin and Pal have some very nice vintage pieces that are nice to look at. If I still had my vintage Rado I'd post it. As it is, I don't really have anything worth showing.

Top Bottom