What's new

Open comb DE razors

I'm going to throw out this thought. Does the choice here depend on your desire to get BBS shave? What if you just want a DFS? I'm two passes WTG, would it make any difference to me?

I'm going to throw out this thought. Does the choice here depend on your desire to get BBS shave? What if you just want a DFS? I'm two passes WTG, would it make any difference to me?

To get a nice less-than-BBS shave, I would use my Fatboy... (that is NOT sacrilege!!)

I think you would find a difference. I get a closer more comfortable 2 pass DFS with my Merkur 25C open comb.

I am a big fan of the Gillette NEW model, this is arguably the best designed DE razor ever made.
The old style open combs, I strongly dislike-that includes the Merkur brand open combs. Look for the bent coat hanger shaped head. This design was not changed because it did not work,rather straight bars were much cheaper to manufacture. Sound familiar?

Note my two NEW's below, the teeth are bent on the ends, this razor was designed for a modern DE blade, gives a great shave.

proxy.php

proxy.php

You can see how the profile from the side of the razor appears as a "coat hanger". Thats what you want.

proxy.php

Note the teeth are straight on this Merkur- that does not work for me.This design is a leftover from thick old style blades.

This is another shot of an old Gillette -for the old style razor blade.

So get yourself a NEW and have a great shave...

I started with a Merkur/OC. While I like the design construction better on the OC, I prefer to have the lather completely whisked away with each pass, as is achieved with a safety bar.

That said, I don't like the standard Merkur head. I've just never gotten comfortable with it. I use a Feather Portable when I'm not tinkering with straights.

If the lather isn't being whisked away, open comb or closed comb, something isn't going right. The blade should be taking care of what the teeth leave behind.

I think open combs are actually better than safety bar razors. I have several Gillette and Merkur razors and one of my best is the 1927 NEW STANDARD open comb. Two passes with it and I am BBS with no irritation or redness. The thing is built like a Sherman tank. I think it is one of the best Gillettes ever produced. It is more aggressive (in a good way) in that the blade is not impeded by a safety bar which actually scrapes away the lather before the blade cuts. I would recommend trying an open comb, especially the New Standard, if you can find one. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I don't believe this to be the case. If it were, you might as well not use lather.

I few times a year I shave with my grandfather's WWI open comb Gillette. It is my most aggressive razor (Merkur HD, Gillette tech, Gillette Fatboy). I get the closest shaves with it and it is the only razor that draws blood.

I own 4 open comb razors, a 1918 Gillette Old Type, a Bob's Razor Works replated NEW, a Merkur 12C, and a Goodfella. The Goodfella is by far the mildest of the lot (my preference), followed by the Old Style, and the NEW and the Merkur seem to be tied for me for most aggressive (it's been a while since i tried the Merkur, I may have to go experiment!). Just because the razor is an open comb design doesn't mean it's immune from the Law of YMMV.

One advantage of the open comb design is that if you get your angle wrong, you'll "rake" your lather as the gaps between the teeth leave little lather trails behind on your face.

Last edited:
Two points:

1. To the extent a safety bar whisks away the lather it does so before the blade gets to the lather, somewhat defeating the purpose of the lather (mainly lubrication for purposes of this discussion) and ...
  2. That is why most safety bars are slightly ridged so as not to whisk away all the lather.

None the less, the open comb lets much more lather through.

Maybe they (Gillette) should invent a system where 3-4 blades whip off the lather before one of them grabs the whisker and another couple of blades rip the hell out of the face...

Oh wait...nevermind.

:confused:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Maybe they (Gillette) should invent a system where 3-4 blades whip off the lather before one of them grabs the whisker and another couple of blades rip the hell out of the face...

Oh wait...nevermind.

:lol:

I am a big fan of the Gillette NEW model, this is arguably the best designed DE razor ever made.
The old style open combs, I strongly dislike-that includes the Merkur brand open combs. Look for the bent coat hanger shaped head. This design was not changed because it did not work,rather straight bars were much cheaper to manufacture. Sound familiar?

Note my two NEW's below, the teeth are bent on the ends, this razor was designed for a modern DE blade, gives a great shave.

proxy.php

proxy.php

You can see how the profile from the side of the razor appears as a "coat hanger". Thats what you want.

proxy.php

Note the teeth are straight on this Merkur- that does not work for me.This design is a leftover from thick old style blades.

This is another shot of an old Gillette -for the old style razor blade.

So get yourself a NEW and have a great shave...

Could you post a couple of pics with blades in the razors?

Oh wait...nevermind.

:lol::lol::lol:

That got a laugh.

Great thread, it just reminded me why multiblades are bad, I never though about the lather being removed by the blade, so subsequent blades are dry shaving you.
Add a can of spray foam goo which is dry-ish itself, on a only a quickly rinsed cold face explains why shaving sucks to most people.

Could you post a couple of pics with blades in the razors?

Not exactly the same razors, but pretty much the same head geometries. Old Type on left NEW on right. Both are open comb although it is hard to see that from the angle at which the pictures were taken.

Also attached is a piece of cardboard that was "shaved" by both of those razors. The Old Type barely scraped off some of the ink -- see last letters of "Gillette" and "Platinum". The NEW actually lifted up some of the cardboard -- see four raised pieces to the right.

I find the Old Type difficult to shave with since it takes quite a bit of concentration to keep the blade actually touching the skin. The NEW has a bit more freedom. It opens the possibility of a rougher shave (razor burn, cuts) but the "feel" of the shave gives me enough feedback to keep the angle just right. That is why I like the NEWs.

I use a Merkur 12c barber pole open comb. I prefer an open comb because I don't see a point in taking time to lather if it will all just be swept away leaving the blade to scrape against bare skin. This makes the lather completely useless and a waste of money IMHO.

With an open comb the lather is still swept off but it is taken off by the blade instead. This way the lather serves it's intended purpose and this seems more comparable to what occurs with straight razor shaving. My shaves were better after I switched to open comb and I don't think I'll ever go back to a safety bar style.

I just used my NEW yesterday. It certainly did give me the closest shave I've had with a DE yet.
I think it may be because the longer teeth in the open comb flatten/stretch the skin out before the blade better than a closed comb.

There's something about the blade profile too, I could even dry shave my cheeks with my new and new improved razors. I've never been able to do that with a DE without the blade catching on the stubble, the old razors were just smooth.

I bought crappy cheap ones though, So I just used a dremel and a wire brush attachment to bring them back to shiney brass. I didn't want to spend the money competing with collectors and paying large sums of money for a mint one.
I might look into getting them replated (or buy my own equipment to do this) as I definitely want to keep some of these old open comb razors around for a long time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom