What's new

Oktoberfest/Marzen beers

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I like a good Marzen, unfortunately the quality of the Marzen style beers available around here seem to be hit or miss. What’s everybody’s favorite Marzen style beer? It’d be nice if it’s available here in the US but I’m interested in the beers in other areas of the world as well.

Hmmm... let me get back to you. Being the "die-hard beer local yokel" I am, I could see another shipment heading your way. I was going to recommend Ayinger, but you've already found that....

Pretty good, little bit sweet.

full

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Well the beers sold at the Wiesn in Munich are simple Lagers/Helles. What makes them „special“ is a higher ABV but it’s mostly marketing.

Spaten regular 5.2%
Spaten Oktoberfestbier 5.7%

I will be there in early October :)
Hopefully someday I can meet you there.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Ayinger typically is my favorite from around Munich. The others from around Munich always seem to have too much of something or not enough of something else, but I like nearly all of them under nearly all circumstances.

Just about every local brewery around here now releases some sort of Oktoberfest/Maerzen, and a lot of them are terrific. I'm very glad to see so many getting away from what was almost becoming an "American-style Oktoberfest": a sweeter, heavier ale along the lines of an Amber or Scotch ale laden with crystal malt. Rather, they're brewing lagers more in that Bavarian style, and some also are adding a Festbier, which is that sort of souped up Helles mentioned above.

I remember having an Oktoberfest bier in Germany during a visit there, and being surprised at how light the color was. I'll admit to enjoying the malty flavors of the American styles.

You mentioned Spaten already. Sam Adams is another Octoberfest I usually enjoy. Sun King had one a couple years ago that I enjoyed also, but it's been a while since I purchased any. I need to remedy that soon.

I remember having an Oktoberfest bier in Germany during a visit there, and being surprised at how light the color was. I'll admit to enjoying the malty flavors of the American styles.

You mentioned Spaten already. Sam Adams is another Octoberfest I usually enjoy. Sun King had one a couple years ago that I enjoyed also, but it's been a while since I purchased any. I need to remedy that soon.
This year it will be the Löwenbräuzelt :)

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
700k visitors on Day 1 of the Wiesn. Weather was not good and some people couldn’t wait for their beers until the tents opened before noon. With that mix Loferl are only a small issue…

Ay, yai, yai. There is nothing you said that makes me want to get anywhere near that place right now.

When we went to Munich some years ago, it was in August. They were building the "tents." It was very pleasant to walk around and see it all weeks before all hell broke loose. I'd love to go back, but I don't think you could pay me enough unless you also were going to air drop me into the second story of one of those places.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Ay, yai, yai. There is nothing you said that makes me want to get anywhere near that place right now.

When we went to Munich some years ago, it was in August. They were building the "tents." It was very pleasant to walk around and see it all weeks before all hell broke loose. I'd love to go back, but I don't think you could pay me enough unless you also were going to air drop me into the second story of one of those places.
I wouldn’t mind being there as long as I could find a place to sit close to where I’m staying, preferably within 20-30yds. I bet the people watching there would be top notch.

Top Bottom