What's new

Ok. I'm a knowitall who puts my foot in my mouth more often than need be, but.

Yeah he was out of line but I've never seen an Escher with a fishing hook groove in it... Probably not an Escher but it didn't sell for much so...

One time I bid on a razor then noticed it had a crack and didn't read the description before I bid on it... After I bid I noticed a crack and asked these exact words: "hey does this razor have a crack in it?"

His response: You are pretty rude and insolent and very disresepctfull with writing your message like this, did you not read that this is junk ??? Or cant you read ??
Why didint you ask before you placed bid ?
And you have audacity to write like this !!
I will cancel it if you win !

Totally overreacting! Haha I laughed it off and sent him an apologetic email but told him he was overreacting... Turned out to be a cool guy

I guess people get sick of being screwed over by buyers or sellers on ebay

Oh yeah. I've gotten those sellers a time or two.

Several times I've sent people messages that they are listing stones as coticules that aren't coticules. Usually I'm able to tell them what the stone they are selling is and link them to pictures of stones to demonstrate this to them. The last time I did this, the seller was very grateful, thanked me, and immediately edited their listing to this effect (it had no bids yet). EVERY other time, the sellers started raving at me like lunatics. We're talking like ten times or more this happened.

Honestly, a LOT of the guys selling this stuff are grouchy old men. And that seems to be the standard operating procedure for many (not all; I've met a handful of very chill and agreeable ones) male antique dealers. It's possibly the least appealing aspect of this hobby. I don't expect servile groveling when paying custom to someone's store/auction/etc, but I expect at least common human civility. By contrast all the women I've ran into are friendly and helpful.

Last edited:
I recently corrected a fella selling a Frictionite OO. He had it up as a coticule - he was really happy for me to put him straight and I think he probably made a little more money because of it (sorry if you were looking for a cheap Frictionite).

Top Bottom