What's new

Thoughts On a Troublesome Ebay Transaction

I recently won an auction on the 'bay for a Lampe Berger lamp, with partial bottles of two oils. The auction is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230701189991&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Shipping is listed as "expedited" for $7.

When I buy/win anything on the 'bay, I pay instantly, like within 5 minutes or less. After winning this on the 20th, I hadn't heard any more about this. Today I signed into my Ebay account to message the seller about the status and got a message from them that was annoying, to say the least.

The message was that, due to the fragrance oils being included, they were unable to ship the package via USPS. UPS can ship them via ground, but shipping with UPS would be $13.50. Would it be ok with me if they just kept the oils and shipped the lamp only via USPS, since there was so little oil to begin with?

The listing didn't specify a carrier, only that "expedited" shipping was $7, so I don't really feel like it's fair to ask me to leave a product out that I already paid for simply because the seller didn't figure out the shipping situation before listing the item. My reply was that I would appreciate it if they sent all of items I paid for via UPS at the cost I already agreed to pay.

Am I being unreasonable? On one hand, I feel like I'm being a hardass about a small amount of oil. On the other hand, you can't just offer a package of goods and then expect the buyer (who's already paid) to accept an incomplete order due to an error on the seller's part.

Grrr. Thoughts?

You are right, they are wrong. Pay pal and eBay will both see it your way. It's their obligation to ship you what you bought.

Believe it or not, I've actually never had any trouble with an Ebay deal before. Do I just report it to them if the lady refuses to send the items for what I paid? I read through the procedures and it seems like a lot of investigation on their end for a case of "I paid, she won't ship".

It is Thanksgiving weekend, so I'll give her a couple of days to respond.

They owe you what you paid for at the price you paid. End of discussion. Its not like its a Biohazard that requires some hazmat special something and is going across international borders.Sometimes there is a gray area but not if the price difference is $5 and that is the only holdup.

I buy & sell on eBay ... if as a seller, I screw up the costs for shipping - then its MY fault! I "eat" the difference and learn for future transactions!

The seller ought to go ahead and ship; you've completed your side of the deal! Contact them and politely ask for all items.

If they refuse to ship, then contact eBay/PayPal and get a refund ... unless you want just the lamp real bad.

Currently, I'm waiting on a Gillette Super Speed to be delivered early next week from an eBay seller; my Total Cost is $1.04 Delivered! Yes, the seller has already shipped with Tracking Number ... no emails asking to forget it or requesting more money.

Yes, I'm leaving the seller a 5-Star Positive Feedback when I get the razor!

bought and paid for already, shipping included in the final price. The seller needs to ship without asking for more money. Others may not have bid on that item if the shipping was listed at a higher price. You might have won for a lower total price as a result. The seller must honor the deal as it stands.

bought and paid for already, shipping included in the final price. The seller needs to ship without asking for more money. Others may not have bid on that item if the shipping was listed at a higher price. You might have won for a lower total price as a result. The seller must honor the deal as it stands.

Exactly. and I only bid on that particular lamp because the price included that small amount of oil to get me started. Those bottles are about $20 each, and combined it looks like there's about half a bottle there. That's $10 of the price, if you ask me. I could have won a nicer lamp had I wanted to spend the extra.

It turns out that they shipped it Wednesday after all. We seem to have worked it out, and everything looks good for now. Providing that the merchandise is in good shape like it was described, I won't dock her rating over a simple mistake that she corrected. So far so good.

I have eaten shipping on ebay and here on the BST many times, it's how it is. The seller should resume responsibility.

Last edited:
I have gotten to the point I prebox and item I am going to sell and stop by the post office to bother them with a shipping price request for some off the wall zip code. We have a rural post office so they do not mind. The eBay shipping calculator burned me once and I said never again. But on sellers behalf, I'm betting they didn't realize they couldn't ship the oil USPS. Our post office actually has a picture of lamp oil with a cross through it. Either way I'm glad it worked out and I think 90 percent of time just contacting the seller politely can resolve the issues. Check out wallmart for the oils. I have several antique lamps and hurricane lamps that I get the oil pretty cheaply from there when it's on sale. Store near me carries three varieties of the oil suprisigly even the harder to find oil too that burns cleaner for certain lamps along with scented.

Update:

The box arrived yesterday via USPS with everything in it, and packed pretty well to boot. Good rating for them, good deal for me. Everybody won.

Top Bottom