What's new

October Contest

1 out of 40 Ashkenazi Jewish women have a BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 gene mutation which gives them a 33%-50% risk of developing breast cancer by age 50 and 56%-87% by age 70. Men carrying the gene mutation have a slightly higher incidence of cancers but, importantly, can pass it on to their daughters. A simple blood test will tell you if you have a BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 gene mutation.

It was once believed that Electro Magnetic Fields (EMFs) can cause breast cancer in both men and women, primarily women. Therefore, those individuals working in fields where they are exposed to EMFs (telecom technicians, nurses, secretaries, etc.) were believed to be more suceptible to getting breast cancer from this source.

I edited my post. The information I had was based on an Environmental Science class I took in 1999 (yes I do remember what I learned in college). Recent information states that although it was believed before, the study that was conducted merely used individuals' position titles to make this determination. More recent scientific study states that this previous hypothesis is inconclusive.

And to think, I've been believing this for this long. I've been keeping my wife, mother and grandmother away from electrical outlets...:w00t:

My grandmother had a cancerous tumor removed 6 years ago. She is alive and kicking (literally). She is now 91.

Last edited:
It is believed that Electro Magnetic Fields (EMFs) can cause breast cancer in both men and women, primarily women. Therefore, those individuals working in fields where they are exposed to EMFs (telecom technicians, nurses, secretaries, etc.) are more suceptible to getting breast cancer from this source. Electrical outlets and computers emit significant EMFs, so don't hang out too close to them or sleep by them.

My grandmother had a cancerous tumor removed 6 years ago. She is alive and kicking (literally). She is now 91.

Then you best get off the planet. :lol:

The magnetic field generated by the earth (enough to deflect the solar winds) is far stronger than anything created by human machines. I'm not saying magnetic fields cant effect the body (vagus nerve stimulators, for example), but if you think that's true then we need a citation. Just because it's believed to be true, doesn't make it so.

Then you best get off the planet. :lol:

The magnetic field generated by the earth (enough to deflect the solar winds) is far stronger than anything created by human machines. I'm not saying magnetic fields cant effect the body (vagus nerve stimulators, for example), but if you think that's true then we need a citation. Just because it's believed to be true, doesn't make it so.
Thanks for making me check my sources.

Here's another one for ya: it is not true the wearing a bra with an underwire will cause breast cancer. (statistics are all pretty much taken, so I had to get creative :001_tt2:)

Thanks for making me check my sources.

Here's another one for ya: it is not true the wearing a bra with an underwire will cause breast cancer. (statistics are all pretty much taken, so I had to get creative :001_tt2:)
It happens. Bra with underwires, huh? More research needs conducted...for science!

Former First Lady Betty Ford, a breast cancer survivor and one of the first public figures to speak out about the disease, joined her daughter Susan Ford Bales in a televised emotional appeal to call attention to the importance of screening. Soon after, other public figures, industry executives, community leaders, members of the media, nonprofit organizations, and many individual women further galvanized national public interest.

NBCAM.org

Last edited:
National breast cancer awareness month was founded in 1985 as a partnership between the American Cancer Society and the pharmaceutical division of Imperial Chemical Industries.

Wikipedia

Last edited:
Breast cancer research foundation uses over 90% of donations for research and awareness.

BCRF Donation distribution
90.9% Research & awareness
5.9% Fundraising
3.2% Administration

Bcrfcure.org

Last edited:
It has been alleged that "the National breast cancer awareness month idea 'was conceived and paid for by a British chemical company that both profits from this epidemic and may be contributing to its cause...'".

Sometimes referred to as National Breast Cancer Industry Month, critics of NBCAM point to a conflict of interest between corporations sponsoring breast cancer awareness while profiting from diagnosis and treatment. The breast cancer advocacy organization, Breast Cancer Action, has said repeatedly in newsletters and other information sources that October has become a public relations campaign that avoids discussion of the causes and prevention of breast cancer and instead focuses on “awareness" as a way to encourage women to get their mammograms.

Wikipedia

A mammogram is much less painful than breast cancer. If cost is an issue, mammograms are often offered at minimal cost near Mother's Day. Most of us don't think twice about doing preventative maintenance on our cars. I can replace my car. I can't replace the mother of my five children. That's why I remind her to have these done.

The pink ribbon is an international symbol of breast cancer awareness. Pink ribbons, and the color pink in general, identify the wearer or promoter with the breast cancer brand and express moral support for women with breast cancer.
Wikipedia

Last edited:
The first known use of a pink ribbon in connection with breast cancer awareness was in the fall of 1991, when the Susan G. Komen Foundation handed out pink ribbons to participants in its New York City race for breast cancer survivors.

The pink ribbon was adopted as the official symbol of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month the next year, in 1992. The pink ribbon was derived from the popular red ribbon for AIDS awareness. Alexandra Penney, the editor-in-chief of the women's health magazine Self, and breast cancer survivor Evelyn Lauder, the senior corporate vice president at the cosmetics company Estée Lauder created a ribbon for the cosmetics giant to distribute in stores in New York City.
Wikipedia

A pink and blue ribbon is sometimes used to symbolize breast cancer in men, which is relatively rare. The pink and blue ribbon was designed in 1996 by Nancy Nick, President and Founder of the John W. Nick Foundation to bring awareness that "Men Get Breast Cancer Too!"

The first breast cancer awareness stamp in the U.S., featuring a pink ribbon, was issued 1996. As it did not sell well, a new stamp with an emphasis on research was designed. The new stamp does not feature the pink ribbon.
Wikipedia

Global Pink Hijab Day is an initiative that began as an experiment by founder, Hend El-Buri and a group of high school students in Columbia, Missouri. It was intended to remove stereotypes of Muslim women by having Muslims engage in dialogue about breast cancer awareness, joining walks in groups while wearing pink headscarves, and holding other events promoting awareness and support for the cause.

Global Pink Hijab Day is a global movement, with many participants including men who wear pink kufis (or skull caps) to celebrate breast cancer awareness. It takes place at many Islamic schools and student organizations throughout the United States.
Wikipedia

Last edited:
Breast cancer is understood by most people as a disease limited to the breast. However, breast cancer can spread or metastasize to nearby lymph nodes, usually those under the arm. That is why surgery for breast cancer always involves some type of surgery for the glands under the arm. Sometimes a sentinel node biopsy is performed to test the glandular tissue for the presence of cancer cells.

Breast cancer can also spread to other parts of the body via blood vessels, and the term metastatic breast cancer indicates that the cancer has spread from the breast and beyond the lymph nodes to other parts of the body such as bone, lung, liver, or brain. A secondary cancer tumor will form in these distant sites as the cancer cells collect in the region.
NBCAM

Last edited:
It is never too early to teach your children to be aware of changes in their bodies.
We have 3 daughters, 25 and twins 21.
It may seem silly but the best defense is getting to know their breasts and recognize changes.
My mother has had Breast Cancer twice and is a 20+ year survivor. So we take this seriously.
Check yourself and get your mammograms.
Steve

Top Bottom