What's new

Nominations for SOTY (soap of the year)…

Anyone in particular? 🤔
i like a few so far. I have been using the lavender frost quite a bit for a couple months and the recent acquisitions are the batch above. The lavender frost is mentholated so not for everyone and the lavender is minor. Tabacchi is velvety and luxurious so I dont see daily use for me (in summer now). The Malibu has a fresh scent, and the cedars and lime is also mentholated, but a great scent. I find they all perform extremely well
So long story short - best scent is Tabacchi for me, but most favoured and expected to use more frequently is Malibu

IMG_2625.JPG

IMG_2624.JPG

I nominate Stirling Varen. Not new for this year, but new to me. It gave me a whole new appreciation for quality soaps and just how much they can transform the shaving experience. Once I finish my remaining proraso and tobs creams I will not be repurchasing anytime soon. The bar has been raised.

i like a few so far. I have been using the lavender frost quite a bit for a couple months and the recent acquisitions are the batch above. The lavender frost is mentholated so not for everyone and the lavender is minor. Tabacchi is velvety and luxurious so I dont see daily use for me (in summer now). The Malibu has a fresh scent, and the cedars and lime is also mentholated, but a great scent. I find they all perform extremely well
So long story short - best scent is Tabacchi for me, but most favoured and expected to use more frequently is Malibu

View attachment 1574435
View attachment 1574437
“… summer now?”

Where the heck are ya…, Australia?! 🇦🇺 😳😆

Malibu” sounds like a nice scent for MY summer… in June! 🇺🇸🫡😁

I nominate Stirling Varen. Not new for this year, but new to me. It gave me a whole new appreciation for quality soaps and just how much they can transform the shaving experience. Once I finish my remaining proraso and tobs creams I will not be repurchasing anytime soon. The bar has been raised.
What’s “Varen” smell like? 🤔👃🏼

Agreed, “Stirling’s” represents the best VALUE option in the wet shaving market right now.

“Value” in that, for the usual price point of a “Stirling’s” soap, you are guaranteed a LUXURIOUS shave. 😉

For me, this gem from Kyiv, Ukraine…

Scent is very close to Terre D’Hermes and the performance is fantastic. Just over $20 for a big tub and a 100ml AS.

View attachment 1570331
Bro, forget “SOTY.”

How ‘bout most UNIQUE soap of the year! 😳

Those people are making shave soap?

Isn’t it hard enough just to make the bare ESSENTIALS for life in Ukraine? 😳

I take back my previous statement - if Zelensky can be Time’s “Man of the Year,’ then “Discoverer” can certainly be “SOTY.” 😉👍🏼👏🏼

Of cream is ok...
I would go with Proraso Blue
Ever since 1st use I have been amaized, I tried Red, Green, TOBS, but even tho they are good, Proraso Blue is just amaizing, it has no smell, so you can add any AS or EDT of your choice, it nourishes and simoly outpreforms other soaps and creams I have tried.
Underrated product, very good stuff, highly reccomneded
10/10

Proraso?” 😳

I LOVE me some Proraso. It’s my first “love,” but let’s try to keep it more CURRENT, fellas, like soaps/creams released in the past YEAR.

Thanks. 😎

Man, that is a tough one. I have added a bunch of great soaps to my collection this year from a number of great artisans.

Since the Grooming Dept Kairos SE formulation is the best performing soap base I have used up to today, I guess I would have to give my vote to the Ousia scent in that formula. However, there are still two soaps I will be trying between now and the end of the year, so my soap of the year is not yet final.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
As I read this thread I realized that I own 20 or more soaps, all of which have probably been on the market for at least 75 years, with the exception of 15 year old pucks of a Mama Bear's and a St Charles Shave soap, and a puck of Pre de Provence that was a gift from @SharpieB.

Although this soap was a single run release, it looks like another batch is in the works. Tobacco scented soaps are one of my favorite notes and so my nomination is for both the best tobacco scented soap of the year and the best soap of the year.
View attachment 1575591
Unfortunately, there is a serious problem with this choice. Divorce. The projection on this beast is such that its theme song should be Move It On Over

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
As I read this thread I realized that I own 20 or more soaps, all of which have probably been on the market for at least 75 years, with the exception of 15 year old pucks of a Mama Bear's and a St Charles Shave soap, and a puck of Pre de Provence that was a gift from @SharpieB.

Are they still good/usable?

My favourite soap that I discovered this year is Tjära (pine tar) from Kaliflower Organics in Sweden. I love the true pine tar smell and the soap feels exceptionally nice on my skin. Chiseled Face Summer Storm and Southern Witchcrafts Valley of Ashes would be my runners-up. But none of these are new soaps released in 2022.

From the 2022 new release soaps that I’ve used, my favourites are Grooming Dept Eau de Magnolia, Grooming Dept Oud Osmanthus, and Gentleman’s Nod Cosecha Catalana.

It was a great year for shaving soaps, for me. I absolutely love all six of these - all are beautiful scents with great performance, and unique and interesting too - and there were quite a few others that come close as well.

Top Bottom