What's new

Embracing Impermanence

Hello Friends,

If you'll indulge me, I'd like to write briefly about what I think is one of the hidden pleasures of shaving, at least if you allow it to be so. This is impermanence.

We have lost a number of fine artisans, companies, brands, products, and whatnot over the past handful of years with more to come in the years to follow if I had to guess. Present in my mind are tallow MWF, tallow Tabac, Vie Long, La Toja cream, the Palmolive shave stick, and many others that I won't get into for the sake of brevity. Between reforumulations and closures, we have undoubtedly lost some mainstays whose absences are and will be felt.

Ignore the overpriced discontinued products and the other rare goods and sundries made of unobtainium. You have a stash to get through and chances are if you've been in the game long enough you probably have one or two of these laying around somewhere that you have squirrelled away for a later date on the basis of being unable to get more when you do finally run out.

My challenge to you is to use that stuff, appreciate that you are using something to may never be again, use it to its fullest. Kill that tub or tube and empty that bottle, look at it as a final send off to the brands and individuals who helped give the hobby its spice. I'm of the mindset that the biggest respect that you can give a brand or product that no longer exists is to use it as if it still was in its heyday. Don't skimp, load up and go. For me, this is finally using the last Palmolive stick I was able to find and making my way through my stash of tallow MWF and Tabac.

Maybe the shave is a little closer when you know that what you are using is fleeting. Tallow Tabac and MWF are a bit more special to me now that I know that once it's gone, it's gone. I have what I call a Discontinued Day weekly where I use products in my stash that are no longer available and I look forward to it every week. It feels a touch more special, at least to me. We're only here for a little while, my friends, so is that puck of soap or that tube of cream. Allow yourself a moment of further reflection when you dig into the more limited part of your stash, you might be surprised by how much more precious it seems.

Thanks,

SoapHoarder

I'm pretty new at this. I received a puck of the tallow Tabac soap as a part of a generous PIF from a fellow B&B member (thank you again, @dotKomo !). It really is a nice shaving soap, and I feel a tinge of sadness when I consider that it will no longer be made in that formulation. I don't know whether the non-tallow version performs as well. I will have to try it someday.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I totally agree. I'm not one to get too fixated one stuff I can't get anymore. I'd stocked up on Palmolive shave sticks when they were cheap, but when it got discontinued, I gave half of it away. The focus went from dodging price hikes, to some folks never being able to get the chance to try it.

Some of my tub soaps are now discontinued, or were fleeting special editions, but I don't have any more emotional attachment to them than anything else. I also do have one cake of tallow Mitchell's stashed away, and I'll probably try the other version at some point in the future, but I'm in no rush to crack that open.

I keep a couple of pewter soap dishes in the bathroom, which I either load with a small scoop from a tub soap, or a whole mug soap. So while the tub soap portion changes frequently, and I'll bounce between the different tube when reloading the dish, a hard cake of soap will sit there till it's all finished. That might be a year or more, depending on the size of the soap.

However, when they're all gone, I'll still be able to get great soaps. It doesn't bother me that they will be different great soaps to the great soaps I was using before. A scent might be discontinued, a base might be reformulated, or a company may shut up shop. The concept of shaving soap isn't going away though, nor are soap makers an endangered species.

I have a decent but not excessive stockpile of soap, and a myriad of choice available in the market if I start running low. All is well.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Very Buddhist of you.

I guess I would argue that, at least to a certain extent, though, that attachment is also the root of pleasure/enjoyment. You can't have one without the other. And trying to protect oneself from disappointment will unfortunately also provide a pretty impenetrable shield to joy.
It’s not about protection. It’s experiencing what is. I’m quite sure you can have one without the other, meaning you can experience pleasure and joy without attachment. Loss is inevitable, suffering is not. Accepting impermanence might allow us to enjoy more fully? This has been my experience.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Great post. I don't seem to have any trouble finding 3 or 4 great soaps, and MdC has been around for quite a while, so I don't have any worries there.

I use the same Wolfman razor daily and have around 800 PolSilver and Wizamet blades - and I'm not sure I'll live long enough to run out. But there are always good blades available.

There are multiple good products at different price levels, so I'm sure I can find something I'll like.

I've got some soaps with just a tiny bit left that I'm waiting for a special occasion to use. They are the last of their kind. However, many of the razors I use are no longer produced. So yes, impermanence makes this a sweet hobby. I have some very old soaps waiting on their turn to be used (Colgate, I'm coming for you) and I will relish their scarcity.

For me the discontinuation of Williams turned out to be a positive as it was the catalyst to the expansion of my soap horizons to a number of other commercial soaps such as Arko, MWF, Tabac, Cyril R. Salter and Razorock What-the-Puck. In the case of MWF stocking up just in time before the tallow version was discontinued. Also in rotation with these other great soaps my inventory of 99 cent Williams should last a long time.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
My challenge to you is to use that stuff, appreciate that you are using something to may never be again, use it to its fullest.

Don't worry, I'm (slowly) using up my Irisch Moos shaving soap. Loving every shave.

full

Top Bottom