What's new

Nnnnoooooooo!!!!!

My precious B&B 2008 lost its head, the knot fell straight out.

Should I return it to Kent or just re-glue it myself? I'm worried Kent would want to put in a new knot and then it wouldn't really be the Limited Edition if it got a new knot.

Any suggestions on the best adhesive? I used Epoxy resin on a golden knib knot a while back and it held up okay.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
You could easily re-glue the knot yourself. Just use a bit of two part epoxy, that should do the trick and last forever. I use 5 min two part epoxy on all my brushes and not one has lost its head:biggrin1:

This happened to me with one of my silver tips, can i say you must have ran the brush over water that was to hot.........this is what i did and it caused the glue to lose it hold, its a lesson to learn from. Just glue the bugger back together and learn from the experience.

You can get the 2 part 5 minute epoxy in Bunnings. Comes in a syringe and mixes as you squeeze the plunger. Works a treat. Just be careful and set the knot in straight cos once that stuff goes off, it will never come apart.

Cheers

you might want to ask our resident brush expert rudy vey. he has quite a bit of experience with epoxies and could probably point you in the right direction

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Glue it yourself Tom! It will be quicker and effectively, you will keep the same knot!

I picked up the loctite marine epoxy from lowes, but the hardening time is 50 minutes. Wonder if there is any appreciable difference between this type and the 5 min type in terms of bonding strength.

The best 2 part epoxy is available at Big W for like 6 bucks. It's called magic epoxy or something like that. It is a 2 part syringe, easy to use and very effective.

I picked up the loctite marine epoxy from lowes, but the hardening time is 50 minutes. Wonder if there is any appreciable difference between this type and the 5 min type in terms of bonding strength.

Longer cure time usually means a stronger bond. In this context, meaningless. The 50 minute type will give you more time to make sure the knot is straight before it fully cures.

Legion

Staff member
Longer cure time usually means a stronger bond. In this context, meaningless. The 50 minute type will give you more time to make sure the knot is straight before it fully cures.

That is true, although I have been trapped by things moving as the slow set glue dries. I think the 5 minute stuff should be easily strong enough for a brush. He's not swinging off it. Or is he..... :001_huh:

Just remember, a little dab'll do ya. A common problem for restore newbies is they worry too much about the bond, put too much glue in the hole, and when they put the knot in it squeezes out the top near the bristles and you can see it.

Last edited:
You can get the 2 part 5 minute epoxy in Bunnings. Comes in a syringe and mixes as you squeeze the plunger. Works a treat. Just be careful and set the knot in straight cos once that stuff goes off, it will never come apart.

Cheers

Yep!!! The same stuff I use!

Whatever you do, DO NOT SEND IT TO KENT. I made the mistake of sending my 2008 LE to get it fixed two months ago, and I've still have yet to see it. I keep getting delay tactic emails from Vanessa over at Kent.

They do not have world-class customer service as they purport.....maybe third-world class service.

--Dennis

I'll also cast my vote for a 2 part epoxy. It will be faster for your and you wont run the risk of losing the knot to a replacement.

Just remember, a little dab'll do ya. A common problem for restore newbies is they worry too much about the bond, put too much glue in the hole, and when they put the knot in it squeezes out the top near the bristles and you can see it.

Can you quantify the amount? Almond sized is popular around here...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've used 5 minute epoxy on golf clubs in a pinch and have never had one come loose so my guess is it will hold the knot in securely. The two part syringe is the best way to go by far.

Legion

Staff member
Can you quantify the amount? Almond sized is popular around here...

It's hard to quantify because it obviously depends on the brush and how snug the knot plug is. I guess I cover the bottom of the hole to the depth of about 2mm. When the knot is seated, and then given a bit of a twist, enough resin should then squish up the sides without going over the top. It is very much a measure by eye thing for me, though.

Ace Hardware, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Walgreens, take your pick, there's more. Run in and grab some Epoxy.

For what it's worth, the Epoxy goes a LONG way, and one 2-substance injector (the double-barreled mixing syringe) will last a long time if you're gentle with it. So don't be afraid to pay for the most expensive/best Epoxy you can find. Look for marine epoxy, or something that says waterproof. Water RESISTANT would work, but I don't like to take my chances.

Also, they sell Marine Epoxy in a putty-stick... I've never had much luck with it (my knots always sit off center) but it is very very water resistant.

Just go easy with the water temperature from now on... Hot water doesn't really make the brush any softer than lukewarm, but it can damage the glue (sometimes even the knot itself!)

Good luck!
Jeremy

Oh my God, that is a horrifying picture, I love my B&B LE '08.

It seems that this has happened to quite a few of the 2008 Limited Edition brushes :sad:

Top Bottom