What's new

Newbies, tell us how is your shave progress so far, what have you learn?

The big revelation to me is that my face is NOT symmetrical. I've tried to shave on both sides the same way, but that yields a bad shave.

More importantly, I've realized that if you don't put pressure on a DE razor, you're not going to destroy your face. I was really scared to switch, but have actually got more comfortable shaves.
.Very good observation, not many members are aware of this critical issue. The different surface can yield varying results which can require an assortment of shave gear or technical adjustments

Quick question, how important is after-shave? Or is the most important aspect to a good shave washing/hydrating your face and a good lather? Thanks!

-Caleb

OK, I have been shaving with shave soaps for years (though only small parts of my face since I had a beard until recently). However, I didn't really do it right (no brush) and I'd lather it in my hands like hand soap and then apply the thin lather to my face. A couple months ago now I started shaving again (too much gray in the beard) and a bit over a month ago I invested in a Perfecto brush, a nice shave bowl, TOBS Almond cream, and a few shave soaps (I still have 2 pucks of the stuff I've used for years, but I'll never replace it since the company hasn't existed for years). So, I have become pretty good at lathering. My biggest surprise with lathering...I bought the cream for when I was in a little more of a hurry as it wouldn't take as long to lather, and I actually prefer the cream and use it more than the soaps. Other brush surprises...I bought a Miusco brush that appears to be almost the same, but while I like the Perfecto, I hate the Miusco (slightly smaller bristles that are harder to lather with, and it is scratchy). I'll probably ditch the Miusco and buy something different (boar or synthetic) or upgrade to a higher grade of badger (maybe even silvertip, though probably only the $60ish Parker will be in my budget and that will be a stretch) to rotate with the Perfecto.

I'm much newer to DE razors having started about 2 weeks ago. My biggest surprise, despite cutting myself nearly every shave it is still much more comfortable than cartridge razors (I knew it would be better once I knew what I was doing, but I didn't expect how much better it would be, or that it would be more comfortable from the first shave). I figured that I'd keep the cartridge razors for travel and when I'm in a hurry, yeah, no way.

I am a collector, when I smoked pipes I amassed a collection of 50+ different tobaccos and over 60 pipes, so that I already have several soaps and 2 razors (the EJ DE89 I started with, and a Parker 76r I bought this week) isn't a surprise. I'm also thinking about adding a cheaper razor (a Weishi, Baili, cheaper RazoRock, or one of the $20-25 Merkurs) as a travel razor.

I did a lot of research, and being a newbie, I figured that smooth and not-so-sharp was the way to go. I started with Derby for the blade and one of the mildest razors (the Edwin Jager). The Parker is still pretty mild, but a tad more aggressive than the EJ. So far, I have found that the slightly more aggressive Parker with the Derby gives me a better shave than the EJ with the Derby (no surprise) but also is more comfortable and far less likely to cut me (I've had 0-2 cuts per shave with that combo v. 2-4 with the EJ and Derby). The next most comfortable combo is the EJ and sharper Shark blades (I've used that twice, I got 1 cut the first time, none the second). Next shave, I will try the slightly more aggressive Parker 76r with the sharper Shark blades. Even as a beginner who still sometimes cuts himself, the least aggressive razor/blade combo is not necessarily the way to go, that was a surprise. Though, it shouldn't have been given that I have a very heavy beard.

I'm going to be experimenting with blades for a while. From my reading, I figured I'd start with a variety pack to see what I like, but then I saw a post that made sense. On one of the forums (may have been here, but I don't remember which) someone suggested sticking with one blade for a while until developing some degree of technique, since early on, there is no way of knowing from shave to shave if the differences are the blade or the learning curve. So, I started with the 5 pack of Derby that came with the EJ, I have the 5 pack of Shark that came with the Parker, and I bought 15 Astra SP. After I'm through those, I figure I will probably be consistent enough to try the variety pack I already bought plus some others (I definitely want to test out the Personna Reds and Blues, and also Crystal).

In the past month my shaving has seen some major changes...I often shave at night (I shower in the morning) so I do a hot towel treatment instead of shave after a shower, I use a pre-shave oil, brush lather a soap or cream, use the DE shaver (3 passes, though even with a cartridge I need 2 or 3 with my beard so that isn't new), and follow with the alum stick and aftershave (Proraso). When I started shaving again, I hand lathered a soap and went at it with my cartridge razor (cold water was my only post shave).

Oh, this morning I tried something new. I did a superlather, using both my Col Conk Almond soap and my TOBS Almond Cream. When I heard about that I thought it sounded like a waste of product. Boy was I wrong, it made one heck of a rich lather.

BTW- I now love shaving so much, I often shave twice a day (though the second shave is usually just a one pass touch up). I will never go back to a cartridge or electric again!

Last edited:
Quick question, how important is after-shave? Or is the most important aspect to a good shave washing/hydrating your face and a good lather? Thanks!

-Caleb
for many members including myself it's not a vital after procedure application. I rather use cold water to remedy any issues such as nicks or irritation.

been "de'ing" for about a month now. have had several bloodless shaves! Yipeeee! I acquired a nice vintage Gillette slim adjustable, but have to say I'm missing my "no name" shortie I bought at the Christmas Tree shop. It has a short handle as opposed to the long handled Gillette, however because the Gillette is adjustable, and I have it set to #7, I feel as though the blade is getting closer and cutting those stubborn whiskers better. Could be I just like the shine of the "no name" ! LOL anyway, I have good days and not so good days and I haven't been doing it long enough to determine the cause of the "not so good" days. All in all, tons better shave with the DE than with any other on the market including throwaways, cartridges and electri... I'm a DE boy for life no question. I've only used one soap, the one that came w/ the no name, but I'm not even sure of the name. So If one, or all of you want to suggest what I should be plopping into my mug next, Please feel free! Ordered 50 Apira Swedish super steel DE blades over 3 weeks ago on ebay. Apparently coming from a different country and are not to be here until around the 2nd week of Feb. UGH...
As always thanks for all your kindness and help!
Ack

been "de'ing" for about a month now. have had several bloodless shaves! Yipeeee! I acquired a nice vintage Gillette slim adjustable, but have to say I'm missing my "no name" shortie I bought at the Christmas Tree shop. It has a short handle as opposed to the long handled Gillette, however because the Gillette is adjustable, and I have it set to #7, I feel as though the blade is getting closer and cutting those stubborn whiskers better. Could be I just like the shine of the "no name" ! LOL anyway, I have good days and not so good days and I haven't been doing it long enough to determine the cause of the "not so good" days. All in all, tons better shave with the DE than with any other on the market including throwaways, cartridges and electri... I'm a DE boy for life no question. I've only used one soap, the one that came w/ the no name, but I'm not even sure of the name. So If one, or all of you want to suggest what I should be plopping into my mug next, Please feel free! Ordered 50 Apira Swedish super steel DE blades over 3 weeks ago on ebay. Apparently coming from a different country and are not to be here until around the 2nd week of Feb. UGH...
As always thanks for all your kindness and help!
Ack
how about the WSP line of soaps?

OK, I have been shaving with shave soaps for years (though only small parts of my face since I had a beard until recently). However, I didn't really do it right (no brush) and I'd lather it in my hands like hand soap and then apply the thin lather to my face. A couple months ago now I started shaving again (too much gray in the beard) and a bit over a month ago I invested in a Perfecto brush, a nice shave bowl, TOBS Almond cream, and a few shave soaps (I still have 2 pucks of the stuff I've used for years, but I'll never replace it since the company hasn't existed for years). So, I have become pretty good at lathering. My biggest surprise with lathering...I bought the cream for when I was in a little more of a hurry as it wouldn't take as long to lather, and I actually prefer the cream and use it more than the soaps. Other brush surprises...I bought a Miusco brush that appears to be almost the same, but while I like the Perfecto, I hate the Miusco (slightly smaller bristles that are harder to lather with, and it is scratchy). I'll probably ditch the Miusco and buy something different (boar or synthetic) or upgrade to a higher grade of badger (maybe even silvertip, though probably only the $60ish Parker will be in my budget and that will be a stretch) to rotate with the Perfecto.

I'm much newer to DE razors having started about 2 weeks ago. My biggest surprise, despite cutting myself nearly every shave it is still much more comfortable than cartridge razors (I knew it would be better once I knew what I was doing, but I didn't expect how much better it would be, or that it would be more comfortable from the first shave). I figured that I'd keep the cartridge razors for travel and when I'm in a hurry, yeah, no way.

I am a collector, when I smoked pipes I amassed a collection of 50+ different tobaccos and over 60 pipes, so that I already have several soaps and 2 razors (the EJ DE89 I started with, and a Parker 76r I bought this week) isn't a surprise. I'm also thinking about adding a cheaper razor (a Weishi, Baili, cheaper RazoRock, or one of the $20-25 Merkurs) as a travel razor.

I did a lot of research, and being a newbie, I figured that smooth and not-so-sharp was the way to go. I started with Derby for the blade and one of the mildest razors (the Edwin Jager). The Parker is still pretty mild, but a tad more aggressive than the EJ. So far, I have found that the slightly more aggressive Parker with the Derby gives me a better shave than the EJ with the Derby (no surprise) but also is more comfortable and far less likely to cut me (I've had 0-2 cuts per shave with that combo v. 2-4 with the EJ and Derby). The next most comfortable combo is the EJ and sharper Shark blades (I've used that twice, I got 1 cut the first time, none the second). Next shave, I will try the slightly more aggressive Parker 76r with the sharper Shark blades. Even as a beginner who still sometimes cuts himself, the least aggressive razor/blade combo is not necessarily the way to go, that was a surprise. Though, it shouldn't have been given that I have a very heavy beard.

I'm going to be experimenting with blades for a while. From my reading, I figured I'd start with a variety pack to see what I like, but then I saw a post that made sense. On one of the forums (may have been here, but I don't remember which) someone suggested sticking with one blade for a while until developing some degree of technique, since early on, there is no way of knowing from shave to shave if the differences are the blade or the learning curve. So, I started with the 5 pack of Derby that came with the EJ, I have the 5 pack of Shark that came with the Parker, and I bought 15 Astra SP. After I'm through those, I figure I will probably be consistent enough to try the variety pack I already bought plus some others (I definitely want to test out the Personna Reds and Blues, and also Crystal).

In the past month my shaving has seen some major changes...I often shave at night (I shower in the morning) so I do a hot towel treatment instead of shave after a shower, I use a pre-shave oil, brush lather a soap or cream, use the DE shaver (3 passes, though even with a cartridge I need 2 or 3 with my beard so that isn't new), and follow with the alum stick and aftershave (Proraso). When I started shaving again, I hand lathered a soap and went at it with my cartridge razor (cold water was my only post shave).

Oh, this morning I tried something new. I did a superlather, using both my Col Conk Almond soap and my TOBS Almond Cream. When I heard about that I thought it sounded like a waste of product. Boy was I wrong, it made one heck of a rich lather.

BTW- I now love shaving so much, I often shave twice a day (though the second shave is usually just a one pass touch up). I will never go back to a cartridge or electric again!
So what's the blade usage update, any faves?

Cross posting from my other thread:

New to DE shaving, cannot get a close shave

• Changed to a razor with a heavier handle and a mild head. Made a big difference
  • Being weekend, took the day off and took lot of time. I shaved for about 20 minutes
  • I did an XTG, the first ever one of my life. It gave great results in the chin area. But, I got nervous (unknown reason) while doing the XTG over the neck and stopped it mid-way.

Been DE shaving my head for about 2-3 months now and its been interesting to note the differences from when I started. I started with a Edwin Jagger DE89 with a selection of different blades and shortly after bought a ball end tech in an auction. I got a few nicks which didn't bother me but struggled more with trying to get an even shave across my head. After sticking to Voskhod blades in my DE89 for the last couple of weeks I have noticed that things have improved. I have slowly started to adjust my technique from what is recommended in various videos to something that suits me and I have found my shaving time decreasing and the quality of the shave increasing. I'm still keen to try new razors and blades (I have a Rockwell 6C with 100 blades and a reconditioned Gillette Fatboy on their way to me) but have found introducing a bit of consistency into my shave has allowed space to improve my technique.

Its been about a month since I have started using a DE. While I feel my methods have improved as I am not cutting myself as much, I feel there is a lot of room for improvement on my part. I am able to perform WTG, XTG, and ATG with the Futur, it just doesn't feel as close as a cartridge razor. My skills so far only allow me to have the adjustment below 2.5, any higher and I feel it is really aggressive and would get skin irritation.

From my reading and research, it could be that I am using a shaving gel (leftover from the cartridge days) when I should opt for a shaving cream (Can't wait for TOBS sandalwood to arrive at my door). Second thing is that the Futur is a really aggressive razor and not recommended for a beginner. I have my eye on a Timeless Razor once I graduated and learned to tame the futur before I move on to the Timeless. Happy Shaving everyone!

Cross posting from my other thread:

New to DE shaving, cannot get a close shave

• Changed to a razor with a heavier handle and a mild head. Made a big difference
  • Being weekend, took the day off and took lot of time. I shaved for about 20 minutes
  • I did an XTG, the first ever one of my life. It gave great results in the chin area. But, I got nervous (unknown reason) while doing the XTG over the neck and stopped it mid-way.
Are you going to try again?

So what's the blade usage update, any faves?
My favorite razors (not asked, but I figured I'd answer anyway) are my Schone, my Edwin Jaggers (yes, that is plural) and my Fatip Piccolo (in that order).

My favorite blades overall are definitely the Nacet and Israeli Personnas. The Astra SP is a close 2nd and get about as much use due to being almost as good and a little cheaper. I like the Gillette 7 o'Clock yellows almost as much as the Israeli Personnas and Nacet, but since they are more expensive, I haven't bought them in bulk yet. I may like the Polsilver SI more than the Personna and Nacet, but the price keeps me from buying in bulk. I like the Gillette Platinum about the same as the Astra SP, but they are significantly more money so I haven't bought them in bulk. I still like the Shark SC (and the Shark SS is about the same), but I can't get as many shaves out of them as my others (no big deal I guess since I usually replace a blade after 6 or 7 shaves whether it needs it or not, but 3-4 shaves out of the Shark and then it starts tugging so I don't use them as much since I usually replace the others at 6-7 while still getting good performance).

Are you going to try again?
If your question is on XTG, my answer is NO. I have some rash or burn in my areas where I did XTG. I won't call it cuts but it still hurts when I touch. I am sure it is because of the XTG and I did not shave for the last couple of days due to this.
I am going back to my usual 1 WTG, 1 ATG and 1 WTG. I still have to improvise with the technique and angle but I am not giving up trying :)

Top Bottom