What's new

Newbie - Out with the Fusion - in with the F2 Fatboy!

Greetings and Salutations, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now - researching wet shaving and collecting gear to get started. A fellow board member and good friend of mine Hey_Allen turned me on to the whole wet shaving scene, and after signing up for an Art of Shaving free starter kit - I visited the store and became quite intrigued with all this stuff - a store dedicated to shaving, who woulda thunk it :a47:

I'm 42 and was never truly taught to shave, my Dad was a deadbeat and not around much - Mom handed me a Norelco electric when I was 14 and sheepishly admitted she didn't know how to teach me. I had my first "lesson" watching a fellow cadet in my MC-JROTC platoon hurriedly scraping his barely wet face with a single blade disposable and grimacing the whole time, just before we quickly raced out to role call. When my Electric finally bit the dust - and my fancy Panasonic Wet/Dry electric (that NEVER WORKED) got tossed, I switched to whatever the latest/greatest disposable was. Never really got a good shave, never used after shave (didnt really understand why I should), and heaven help me I should shave off the goat once in a while (read ingrown hair hell).

So after some research and contemplating my skin/beard makeup (bristles hard as steel wire, dry skin) and using my buddy's '73 Super Adjustable, I settled on a '60 Fatboy off eBay (not a show worthy model, but a good working unit) and a Merkur 34C off Craigslist (threw in like 40 random blades too, looks like he used it 5 times). Also went around and got some shaving soap samples and grabbed a Van Der Hagen luxury kit when it was pointed out in the forums here.

While gathering my goods, I tried shaving with the '73 and a Wilkinson Sword blade, had to crank that sucker up to 7 before I started getting a good shave - still made 3 passes to get anything remotely acceptable. Pondering mild/light shaver, boar brush, cheap (crappy?) VDH soap, blade choice perhaps.

Got my Fatboy, gave it a good scrubbing and soaked it in Alcohol for a bit, loaded it with a Merkur blade, pulled out the 3-piece AOS sampler and went at it. Fortunately, I was also blessed with a neat opportunity to get a scuttle made for me. My Daughter took Ceramics this quarter and was itching for a project, so I am using this as well. I started the adjustment dial at 3 and moved up to 5 after the first pass proved less than satisfactory. I re-lathered and made a total of 3 passes (down/up/sideways) Not a bad shave all in all, but still not even close to were I want to be. I also have Feather, Derby's and Astra's to try as well.

LOL - thanks for reading my life story, and thanks for the forums and the board. Its a lot of fun trying to pick up where I missed stuff due to being a mommas boy (bless her heart, she tried hard - and was tougher than most men I know).

Cheers
Todzki

Attachments

• $Shave1 - F-1 Fatboy & AOS Stuffs.jpg
    $Shave1 - F-1 Fatboy & AOS Stuffs.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 76
I'm a newcomer as well, so welcome!

I have enjoyed the switch a lot. I also didn't get a whole lot of shaving education, my dad was content with cartridge shaving and using an electric razor. A christmas gift when I was 15 or 16 was an electric razor and it worked well until my beard started coming in further. The electric gave me a crummy shave and would destroy my neck. I was using cartridges for a while after that, and if I shaved 2 or 3 days in a row, neck destruction would ensue. I hate ingrown hairs. I am in the military so I need a good shave every day. I did some research and made the switch. Currently rocking a Merkur HD 34C and Ogallala Bay Rum shaving soap. Goodbye neck destruction! Good luck with your shaving!

... The electric gave me a crummy shave and would destroy my neck. I was using cartridges for a while after that, and if I shaved 2 or 3 days in a row, neck destruction would ensue. I hate ingrown hairs....

Hey TeamGreg8, welcome and know your not alone. Same experience with neck destruction with disposables and electrics, and I could only shave every other day max as the disposables would invariably tear me up. My stubble is course enough the electric would always heat up to the point of where it felt like I was going to get a burn. I'm hoping I can shave daily and get a better experience out of it, the info out there is so positive I dont doubt I will be able to :barbershop_quartet_.

Good luck to you to!

/kf4tqj - thanks for reading!

/NickCutlip - thank you, good to be here!

strop

Now half as wise
Welcome to B&B! Sounds like you've done your homework and are off to a good start, especially if you did 3 passes to start out, and you didn't describe a major blood letting!

I think that many of us here will tell you that we found that with a good prep our beards don't seem as tough as we thought the were with our previous method of shaving. I used a brush and soap (usually Col Conk which may be the same or nearly so as the VDH) with a cart, and even that was an improvement over canned stuff since just lathering up provided some benefit.

Concentrate on making good wet, dense lather that will cushion the face, and concentrate on using NO pressure. That is a hard habit to break, but if you didn't have a lot of razor burn on your first shave you've got the idea.

As difficult as it is, I would encourage you to stay with the same razor and blade for a while in order to eliminate as many variables in the shave as you can. Your technique will improve faster and you see the results you want much sooner.

Hi there Todski. Looks like you have made a great start. If you haven't already, look up beard mapping on here. That was one of the things that made my shave a lot more productive and comfortable.

Strop - thanks for the advice on sticking with the 1 razor and blade type, I was about to change but will instead stick with the Merkur/Fatboy combo. I already noticed turing the dial to 7 has made quite a difference -I'll try a few more times with minimal futzing about.

Bad Robot - thx for the reminder on beard mapping - I have a couple of spots that are proving to just be flat stubborn - I'll be going there next! :punk:

Hello & Welcome! As with everything, the prep is just (if not more) important than the final act. Sounds like you've made a great start!

Top Bottom