What's new

Newbie Check-In

Hello, new to DE shaving and checking in!

This forum has been super helpful for researching hardware and technique. I've used an electric shaver most of my adult life because cartridge razors didnt' shave close enough WTG and were super irritating (and bloody) XTG. (I only shave my neck, and just once or twice a week.)

My electric razor was getting old and I wanted to try something new. Stumbled across DE razors and ordered a Rockwell 6c, a brush and some soap from Sterling Soaps. The shave was fun and comfortable, but after a few I noticed that the blade didn't feel the same on each side. After a closer look it was obvious that the blade stuck out more on one side than the other.

I was able to return it, and decided to go a different route and ordered a Game Changer with 84p and 68oc plates. I was disappointed that the shave was not nearly as comfortable or as close as the Rockwell. The 84p was okay, but the 68oc was very uncomfortable.

So, I think I'm going to either get a Rockwell 6s and hope the blade lines up nice, or maybe try to get my hands on a 68p base plate and see if that's better. (For reference I was happy with the #3 on the rockwell.)

Thanks for listening to my ramblings!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome to the B&B community. The genre I think you'll like is the "mild but efficient" grouping. That's what I use. If you are interested, you can wade through my journal: Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum.... - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/phoenixkh-an-old-mans-continuum.628985/

You might want to take the time and read through the journals. They detail individual journeys. I've found them extremely helpful. I've only been around B&B for a year and a half. There is so much to learn from others who have tread the same path we are on.... well, same destination point, but various paths to get there.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome to B&B! #3 on the Rockwell screams .68 solid bar for the game changer to me. Perhaps don't give up on the open comb just yet. No pressure, finding the right angle and just getting your technique down might get you there. If you have any interest in vintage razors a Tech might be right for you. Happy shaves.

Thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome!

@Chef455 -- I took your advice and tried the .68 OC again. This time I tried riding the bar instead of the cap and it made a huge difference. It was actually pretty comfortable! 3-passes with the last xtg.

Suppose I just need some more experience! 😅

I did end up ordering a Rockwell 6S, and I guess I'll use them all for a while and see what I like best.

(I tried posting a WTB in the market place, but I guess I'm to "new" to do that for now. Will just hae to wait the 45 days, or for Italian Barber to get the .68 baseplate back in stock.)

Sorry to hear about the blade alignment problem on that 6C. That surprises me a bit. I haven't used either of those razors but they generally have a pretty good reputation. The 6S should be good as far as alignment goes.

Technique takes a little time to develop and razors can differ a bit in terms of proper angle.

What's great about this "hobby," for lack of a better term, is that it takes an activity that was formerly a nuisance and makes it an enjoyable activity. (For me, anyway.)

Welcome and enjoy!

Top Bottom