What's new

New Updated Blackland Osprey

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Osprey numbers look great, as is fitting for yet another beautiful Blackland design.

As a vendor, Shane is an appreciated forum contributor. In my view he takes the top spot over Tony Miller only based on the frequency of his helpful posts.

My mother told me that if I didn't have anything nice to say, to keep my mouth shut.

She didn't have to tell me to stay on topic and not to constantly repeat myself.

I simply don’t believe in telling other people how they should spend their own money or demanding that they justify their purchase.

We help people find cheaper alternatives all the time if that’s what’s best for them. But that’s not what every person is looking for. Luxuries are subjective. Your nice house is worth it to you and may not be to someone else. Same goes for an expensive razor. I’m surprised we have to keep having this discussion.
Perfect example: A couple of weeks ago I was looking for an adjustable razor and you offered a couple of suggestions and weren't pushing the Osprey at all. I thought that was classy.
My brother-in-law just spent an absurd amount on a new car. I say "absurd" only because by MY economic standards, I wouldn't/couldn't spend that amount, particularly for a depreciating item. But his economics are totally different from mine, he's worked crazy hard all his life and he can buy such a car and did. And nobody was happier for him than me when I saw the smile on his face.

I am happy that the majority of the posts on this thread are positive and pertain to the content of the thread, but I think I will stop posting as it seems to serve no better purpose than to provide a platform for those who are just malcontents and wish to browbeat others with their irrelevant positions. That said, Blackland Razors and Lambda Razors and Rex Supply are my favorite high end, excellently made razors at any price.

I love a good deal and I like to be frugal when I can. One of my favorite finds is a "giant killer", something that blows away things that are many times its cost. I also sometimes like a very nice item, quality can be worth paying for.

I own several vintage razors, mainly for the history. I have a Slim and a birth-quarter Super Adjustable and a few Super Speeds. But I don't like to shave with them because I get a lot of blade chatter. I prefer an adjustable or any razor to have much higher blade rigidity. That is just my preference. I respect that billions of people shaved for decades with Gillette TTO razors, I love the mechanism, but they just don't work very well for me.

The Osprey has a brilliant design with high clamping that would provide great blade rigidity.

Last edited:
I'm with @Quaznoid on this one. Fully understand what he is saying yet still I want to buy the Blackland Blackbird.
So here's me, asking myself the same question he is and I can't answer it myself.
Agreeing to disagree seems far out there.
I find myself minding less that Quaznoid is set in his ways than I mind you, @muzichead trying to dictate the narrative.
To be honest, what am I doing here if we can not have different opinions?
Not sure what narative I'm trying to dictate here so I'm confused right now... My comment was that the razors that @Quaznoid keeps suggesting have never worked for me and from what I've read in the past 7+ yrs is they don't work for a lot of other people yet here he is again spamming another thread with the same suggestions that they are better than anything over $10 and people are wasting their money!!

Not sure what narative I'm trying to dictate here so I'm confused right now... My comment was that the razors that @Quaznoid keeps suggesting have never worked for me and from what I've read in the past 7+ yrs is they don't work for a lot of other people yet here he is again spamming another thread with the same suggestions that they are better than anything over $10 and people are wasting their money!!
@muzichead you are wasting your breath with these trolls. We are playing into their hands by engaging them. Let's just ignore them.

Congratulations Shane on this latest iteration of your Osprey razor I can honestly say that this is exactly what I had envisioned that the numbers would be like but you kinda threw me a curve ball with the 2023 knob haha. Whilst I do not own an Osprey to give a definitive answer I do feel very confident in saying that this 2024 version will be greatly received by potential buyers.

Thank you Shane for taking the criticism onboard in a constructive manner by resolving some of the issues people had with the initial design.
I am keen to see more of these under some real world tests and conditions soon.

In regards to vintage razors they are fine and its great that they are still with us and giving many of us great shaves. There is nothing wrong with additional options. I am not going to go into the cost differences and why but am just glad so many of us can achieve a nice and enjoyable shave no matter what razor they are using. As usual if it is not within you budget then do not buy razors that cost a lot of money and seek out cheaper options based on your wants and needs.

I also agree with @mcee_sharp regarding the ATT products. I still enjoy my old 2016 Above the Tie R1 atlas razor. There is something so fantastic about that razor. Unfortunately I missed the closing sale for additional plates so I would like to be able to buy some more plates if possible and maybe a few different length handles and another razor or two if its on the cards for Blackland to bring back such items. I will say that Above the Tie set the bar pretty high as far as I am concerned when it came to quality (speaking for my razor). There was always something about that razor and the material that just felt different. Its hard to describe but it is just a joy to use.
We can all agree that Shane does offer excellent customer service so that much is assured. I am very keen to see how closely Blackland can recreate the fantastic razors Above the Tie put forward in the past.

I am not sure if 2024 is the year for Blackland Above the Tie products but I do feel that this latest iteration of the Osprey does make for a more compelling reason for me to buy it as the appeal to me so there is that.
Fingers crossed the Aussie dollar goes up so I can afford it. I am keen to see this razor in more hands soon and have a bit of long term usage going.

@Blackland Razors is there any chance we will see more inserts this year in various weights, lengths, materials and colors?

Maybe you should read @Quaznoid 's post again and see that he says no such thing. Maybe that's why I couldn't stand the way you all jumped him. Now I am spam and a troll for having a different opinion. Fine.
Says more about you lot than it does about me.
I was in the sabbatical but if you looked at my exception you might have understood what I meant.
All this bashing makes me angry. I thought we were talking razors here.
And one more thing. Expressing you don't understand why anybody would pay 350 for a razor is not saying nobody should buy it.
Jeez, learn to read please.

@Blackland Razors is there any chance we will see more inserts this year in various weights, lengths, materials and colors?

That’s the plan! Our first priority is Osprey Titanium. Once we have both Osprey materials fully established we’ll be able to play with handle insert options. I’m excited to start experimenting with these and I think there’s a lot of room for some fun ideas we can try.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
That’s the plan! Our first priority is Osprey Titanium. Once we have both Osprey materials fully established we’ll be able to play with handle insert options. I’m excited to start experimenting with these and I think there’s a lot of room for some fun ideas we can try.
Shane, you've always provided me with great products, excellent customer service and communication. Thank you.

- Eric

You're being disingenuous.

He never told "people how they should spend their own money" or "demand" anything.

He merely said that he didn't understand, and voiced his opinion.

Huge difference.
that opinionated statement had no place on this thread. He should have started his own thread questioning others decisions on purchasing razors.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Alright folks, everyone take a break. I’ll leave the thread open for now, any more non-productive back and forth and it gets locked.

If you don’t want to see what a member has to say, click on their username/avatar and hit “ignore”.

That is all.

Do you get some sort of bat signal that sends you running if you somebody spends more than $10? You’ve made it abundantly clear in every thread imaginable that you prefer more budget-friendly options. That’s great for you. Let people enjoy shaving how they choose to enjoy shaving. Nobody needs to “explain their rationale for the purchase” to you.

We don’t trick or pressure people into thinking an expensive razor is the only way to shave well. There’s great shaving to be had at every budget imaginable. But we make nice products and people seem to enjoy them.
Hello, First I've seen how well respected your product line is and fully get why many here enjoy acquiring your premium razors. Per your web site they appear to be well designed and precision machined products that appeal to many fellow B&B members who want a luxury product for regular use or as an addition to their razor collection.

As someone who spent much of his career in retail industry management I am surprised at how you responded in your above and follow-on posts to @Quaznoid 's initial question. None of the leading national retail organizations I've been associated with would ever tolerate this type of response to a consumer inquiry even if it was not diplomatically phrased. We typically educated our front line associates to use opportunities like this to provide a provide an overview of the features and benefits that make a product worth the price and, if needed, recommend reasonable alternatives that were a better fit for the consumer even if that meant recommending an alternative seller. This is especially important in today's social media driven environment where a video of an in-store dialogue like this could result in incalculable damage to one's brand.

A more positive response leaves the consumer in a better state of mind for possible future sales and, as there is often an audience listening to the dialogue (especially in an on-line forum like B&B), helps to build relationships and trust with other current and possible future customers. Speaking to a consumer, as you just did, can often raise questions in the consumers mind as to whether they want to do business with an organization that communicates in such a negative fashion.

Here at B&B we often have "ferocious debates among friends" (Jack Welch) on a variety of topics. When participating here as a vendor it's in your best interest to hold yourself to a higher standard around these debates. You likely missed an excellent marketing opportunity here for Blackland where, instead of a defensive reaction, you could have used the opportunity speak to the broader audience and expand your customer base via a clear articulation of the story behind your razors.

Like many here I've had my share of debates with Quaznoid. That said many of us value his perspectives and enjoy his posts. Having a wide range of perspectives makes B&B much more interesting and in the long run enhances member engagement as each of us navigates our own personal shaving journey.

Edit: P.S. @Whisky , my apologies as I responded before reading to the end of the thread. Hopefully this post is viewed as constructive feedback.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom