What's new

New Updated Blackland Osprey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course we should all drive a $500 car, eat only rice and beans, never travel, have no phone, sleep in our car, and wear burlap sacks. That way would we would never spend more than we truly have to. How dare we spend our own money on things we enjoy.
I’ve never suggested living like a monk (although it would be a good experience for many to try it for a while). I drive a new car, I have a nice house. I’ve been to 48 states and 3 continents, paid for my kids’ educations. Everything is paid off. I don’t owe a single cent to anyone. I have a beautiful wife who loves me. I retired at 60. And I enjoy a BBS shave everyday. Where’s the sacrifice? I’m sorry, Shane, if my frugal evangel is bad for business.

I’ve never suggested living like a monk (although it would be a good experience for many to try it for a while). I drive a new car, I have a nice house. I’ve been to 48 states and 3 continents, paid for my kids’ educations. Everything is paid off. I don’t owe a single cent to anyone. I have a beautiful wife who loves me. I retired at 60. And I enjoy a BBS shave everyday. Where’s the sacrifice? I’m sorry, Shane, if my frugal evangel is bad for business.

I simply don’t believe in telling other people how they should spend their own money or demanding that they justify their purchase.

We help people find cheaper alternatives all the time if that’s what’s best for them. But that’s not what every person is looking for. Luxuries are subjective. Your nice house is worth it to you and may not be to someone else. Same goes for an expensive razor. I’m surprised we have to keep having this discussion.

Congratulations on a life well lived. Who cares?

This started as a thread to notify people of an update to the Osprey, it has now devolved into financial discussion of people's choices. Let's stop this before it gets more ridiculous.
Kudos to Blackland for listening to customers and for making the necessary changes.

This started as a thread to notify people of an update to the Osprey, it has now devolved into financial discussion of people's choices. Let's stop this before it gets more ridiculous.
Kudos to Blackland for listening to customers and for making the necessary changes.
Yes please.
Blackland makes beautiful razors and the update to the Osprey is a great one for shortsighted people. (no pun intended)
Quaznoid is very right in saying his 10 dollar super adjustable gives a stellar shave, it does.
These two things should not be standing in each others way.

Yes please.
Blackland makes beautiful razors and the update to the Osprey is a great one for shortsighted people. (no pun intended)
Quaznoid is very right in saying his 10 dollar super adjustable gives a stellar shave, it does.
These two things should not be standing in each others way.
Nor does the comparison of those 2 items belong in this thread.

I simply don’t believe in telling other people how they should spend their own money or demanding that they justify their purchase.

We help people find cheaper alternatives all the time if that’s what’s best for them. But that’s not what every person is looking for. Luxuries are subjective. Your nice house is worth it to you and may not be to someone else. Same goes for an expensive razor. I’m surprised we have to keep having this discussion.
Not true. You tell people they should buy your razors everyday. That’s called advertising. It’s ok. I tell people not to buy certain things. It’s called advice. The difference is I don’t have a vested interest in what I say.

This isn’t personal. I wish you well in your business. Please don’t chastise me for expressing my opinion. If someone thinks I have something to offer with my advice, great. If they don’t, that’s fine too.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I’ve been noticing @Quaznoid criticizing expensive purchases across several threads a lot lately. If he wants to be the voice of frugality, I suppose there’s value in that perspective. But I’m guessing @Quaznoid wore a few custom-made suits over the course of his successful legal career, or perhaps purchased a fancy leather Frye briefcase to take to court. If he did, then he should understand others’ desire for luxury.

Do you get some sort of bat signal that sends you running if you somebody spends more than $10? You’ve made it abundantly clear in every thread imaginable that you prefer more budget-friendly options. That’s great for you. Let people enjoy shaving how they choose to enjoy shaving. Nobody needs to “explain their rationale for the purchase” to you.

We don’t trick or pressure people into thinking an expensive razor is the only way to shave well. There’s great shaving to be had at every budget imaginable. But we make nice products and people seem to enjoy them.
Perfect response and it’s appreciated. It’s very tiresome having the same guy make the same argument every time someone buys a razor over his budget.

Not true. You tell people they should buy your razors everyday. That’s called advertising. It’s ok. I tell people not to buy certain things. It’s called advice. The difference is I don’t have a vested interest in what I say.

This isn’t personal. I wish you well in your business. Please don’t chastise me for expressing my opinion. If someone thinks I have something to offer with my advice, great. If they don’t, that’s fine too.
The issue here is no one asked for your advice.

Ok. It seems to be an unbridgeable gulf. I’ve never understood why someone would spend more money than they have to. I suppose it’s the origin of the expression “money to burn”.
Eat healthy, exercise, and die anyway. I have seen no evidence that a frugal lifestyle is extending longevity. I've known plenty of very frugal people, and the act of frugality is their hobby. They love being frugal, and it makes them happy. Others, myself included, enjoy trying new things and sampling the efforts of those who have created something unique. Creating is not just goodwill; it takes money in research, materials, and design to create.

I love vintage razors, but I purchased from resellers who cleaned and tuned the razor, and I paid far more than I would have on eBay or at a vintage store. Just because a Tech is a good razor doesn't always mean it is acquired for $20. However, coming to B&B, specifically a thread about a well-loved $350 razor and complaining about the cost, is like going to a car show in a Pinto and telling everyone you got to the same show as them in a $1500 car.

There are plenty of threads on B&B about inexpensive razors, original condition vintage razors, and even a "challenge" in your name using scraps of bar soap from around the house. I am confused about why you would come to the Bugatti forum to complain about the price, but I fully support you sticking with what works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom