What's new

New to me Mauser

That's lovely, fiddleback maple I presume? I thought about double set triggers, but decided on the Timney after finding out the price. I have the Kepplinger single set triggers in 3 of my Ruger #1's as well the factory set triggers in all 3 of my CZ rifles. My gunsmith set the Timney in at just under 2 1/2 lbs with no noticeable creep or overtravel. I was on the fence about having the stock checkered until I saw this one, and decided to leave it bare, besides it has too much nice grain in the forearm and pistol grip area to be obscured by checkering.

I like the 7x57, the only one I have shot is my Ruger #1a light rifle and it's mild enough to shoot all day, and this one being larger and heavier will be even better. I had long ago decided not to buy another gun in a cartridge that I did not already have one of, just accumulating too many sets of reloading dies, plus brass

30-06 is 7.62x63 so not just a simple necked down case. I have a couple of 8x57 rifles, one a Turk I bought mainly because I spent a couple of years over there, and the other a rather nice Yugo 48a. 8x57 ammo was loaded by the Germans and others a bit hotter than our 30-06, probably at first because the K98 was stronger than the early Springfield rifles. Later we had the M1, and it was designed for a certain pressure range, probably not as much as the 8x57 put out. In a modern strong rifle, the '06 should outshine the 8 because of larger case capacity and bullets with better SD and BC, giving a flatter shooting longer range cartridge. They kick a little more than I like so this smaller caliber will suit me fine.

Now if I could just find something similar in 6.5x55!

Now if I could just find something similar in 6.5x55!

Swedish Mauser :)

I've had a 6.5x54 MS for ages. It was my first hunting rifle (1903 carbine)

Not a rifle that I would ever want to change anything on. Quick disconnect scope was added in the 1930's sometime otherwise it is straight stock as built in 1903/4. Hard to date these as the SN are intermixed with the first military (Greek) contract production. 6.5x54ms is hard round to source. Not sure if anyone other than RWS loads for it anymore.

proxy.php

Swedish Mauser :)

6.5x54ms is hard round to source. Not sure if anyone other than RWS loads for it

proxy.php

nice, but that's why I would like one in the Swedish round, much easier to find, plus I have about six of the full length M96 rifles, one a shorter as we call it a M38 or short rifle version. That one is a 1900 year model made for the Swedes by the Germans at Mauser Oberndorf, two digit serial number and all numbered parts including the stock, matching. I like that full length stock and the double set triggers.

I like that full length stock and the double set triggers.

Full stock carbines are pretty. I've never gone hunting with it and not had everyone who's seen it not want to handle it. when I push the rounds expel button and the little carbine disgorge the magazine in half a second jaws drop.

The real sweet spot is the Schönauer rotary magazine. It makes for a nice "petite" carbine.

A real shame other gun manufacturers did not use this. I know why. Lots of machining involved compared to a simple box and spring. But it makes the rifle much more compact as it is only 2 rounds deep instead of 5 rounds deep..

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I understand about the rotary magazine. I have an old Savage 99 with the rotary magazine. To hold the rounds it holds with a box mag, the receiver would have to be much deeper. I does not empty with the push of a button though, must cycle the lever.

I understand about the rotary magazine. I have an old Savage 99 with the rotary magazine. To hold the rounds it holds with a box mag, the receiver would have to be much deeper. I does not empty with the push of a button though, must cycle the lever.

Savage had their own patent.

Similar but different enough to not infringe.

They had enough problems to go away from using it in later years. Manlicher stuck with it through decades and many different models. I don't think that they still have it in a production rifle but when they brought back the 1903 6.5x54ms chambered carbine as a 50 year "special/commemorative" I think that one had the rotary mag. this was in the late 50s early 60s so I'm foggy about it and too lazy to Google.

Top Bottom