What's new

New to me Mauser

Hit a small local gun show yesterday and made a trade. I usually buy a gun and keep and this at age 73 was my first ever trade. I picked up a semi custom Mauser in 7x57 with a E R Shaw barrel, fancy walnut stock with shadow outline cheekpiece, rosewood foreend and pistol grip tips. Bad things are trigger pull, it's two stage rather long and a little creepy, not bad, but not to my liking so I will probably put a Timney in and get the pull down to a crisp 2 - 2 1/2 lb range. It has a scope mount and rings, a rather tactical looking pictanny bridge rail that has to go. It just does not fit what looks like a classic rifle. I'm wanting a two piece mount and to use quick detachable rings, even though it has no iron sights. I like the qd rings so I can take the scope off for cleaning, and have had good luck with them on other rifles.

I traded one of the push feed Win 70 featherweight 30-06 rifles I have had for about 35 years and have not shot in a long time, It's so light and kicks hard enough it's no longer fun so I thought why not. I gave it and $50 for the Mauser, good or fair deal??, but I think after my upgrades I will like it.

I am not knowledgeable about firearm prices, but the new one sounds quite nice. If you enjoy it more than the one you traded, I would say it is a win-win situation.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Winchester 70 in .30-06.....I’d almost trade my A-Bolt for one of those from that era....
It was one made in early 1980's not the more desirable pre 64 model. I have one my dad got me in spring of 63 for hs graduation. I would never dream of trading or selling it off.
The one I traded is still a nice rifle, but I like the milder 7x57 for shooting. I have a 7x57 in a Ruger #1 light rifle but it's not the most accurate, at least for target. When I saw this nice Mauser in that caliber I got interested real fast, had it been any other caliber except for maybe a 6.5x55 I would never have considered it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Sounds about even.

Love to see pix, x3.

7x57mm is a storied cartridge, for sure. I'd like to shoot one!

AA

Price?

Depends on the age of the model 70. An early 70 should be worth a case of Spanish Mausers.

Sounds like they kept the military trigger group.

Do you like European set triggers? Loads of those available for 7mm Mausers. These are my personal favorite as you can adjust both pull

There's a lot you can do to Mauser rifles :)

I thought about that and may talk to the gunsmith about it. It seems as though it requires fitting a kicker bar then case hardening and would want to make sure that he has some experience in that.

I talked to the gunsmith after he removed the rail( I did not have a torx bit small enough) and he found it was built on a Mexican Mauser action, which I understand is not too common.

I have been e mailing Warne regarding scope bases. I got lucky and they replied that their Mauser bases have the same hole spacing that is already present on the rifle, so will not have to fill any holes and redrill and tap. I called my gunsmith and let him know and he had already been on the phone with them and has a set of bases on order. That along with the trigger which may be a drop in or just minor fitting should have me ready by the end of next week.

In the meantime I have my camera charging and will try to post pictures when I get it back

Hit a small local gun show yesterday and made a trade. I usually buy a gun and keep and this at age 73 was my first ever trade. I picked up a semi custom Mauser in 7x57 with a E R Shaw barrel, fancy walnut stock with shadow outline cheekpiece, rosewood foreend and pistol grip tips. Bad things are trigger pull, it's two stage rather long and a little creepy, not bad, but not to my liking so I will probably put a Timney in and get the pull down to a crisp 2 - 2 1/2 lb range. It has a scope mount and rings, a rather tactical looking pictanny bridge rail that has to go. It just does not fit what looks like a classic rifle. I'm wanting a two piece mount and to use quick detachable rings, even though it has no iron sights. I like the qd rings so I can take the scope off for cleaning, and have had good luck with them on other rifles.

I traded one of the push feed Win 70 featherweight 30-06 rifles I have had for about 35 years and have not shot in a long time, It's so light and kicks hard enough it's no longer fun so I thought why not. I gave it and $50 for the Mauser, good or fair deal??, but I think after my upgrades I will like it.

If you are happy with the deal then it was a good deal. Enjoy that Mauser and don't forget about us guys who like pictures!

Got it back yesterday and tried a few pictures. Need more practice in photography. I used to be pretty good 30-40 years ago with my old Pentax spotmatic, but this Nikon Coolpix just does not seem as good.

Thanks, I liked it. The wood reached out to me when I saw it. The whole stock is proportioned for a larger person, and at 6'1" it fits me well, plus it's heavy enough to know you have something in your hands. It's not one I would want to carry all day though. It falls short in one area of inletting, the wood in front of the magazine housing is very proud of the metal, but to make that fit better would have involved trimming the foreend down a lot and making it a lot slimmer, and it is beefy enough to fill your hands, so combined with a mild caliber should make for a nice shooting rifle. The scope rings I picked up are a bit short, the bolt knob drags along the eyepiece bell, so I have a set of high rings on order and will swap them out next week, then bore sight and hopefully make it over to the range.

This is a WW I German military (8x57) sporter rework. Double triggers.

I found I could not take it into the woods as It frightened all the game for miles around.

Shows what you can do with a military Mauser.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I no longer have this rifle. If it were a Spanish 7x57 it might still be here. 8x57 is the German 30.06 (US military copied the German round and rifle)

Top Bottom