What's new

***NEW*** Proraso Red with Sandalwood Oil and Shea Butter

it is a mild sandalwood smell, the shea comes out more in the middle of the shave, it does not lather up as much as the old recipe , But it lathers up fine for me--personally i think some folks on here have differrent requirements for lather, i was/am a E&C soap user and that was fine for years i just started creams.4 months ago and to me they all lather about the same, I think time put into a lather is the Key, , Me i just lather up and shave, i am not trying for a bathtub full of lather, i get what I need--but i did kinda notice the Red might lather a little less, but it works fine, i dont ask for much I guess but i do like the shea smell though

I bought this from Maguires Barbershop in Newcastle on E-bay and it arrived very quickly. They have sold lots of them over the last month. The tube is big, and packaging looks great.
I just used it today and it is very good. It's slightly creamier than the old Proraso Green I have. The new range has no parabens so that's good. Can't wait to try the new Green now. Oh, about my shave today! I know there are guys who love reading this stuff! I do! I am DE shaving since last December and can now achieve excellent results every time with my EJ DE89. I am in love with Astra SPs as they are the best blade I have used out of about a dozen or so brands so far. Today, adventure called and I decided to try out a Wilkinson Sword made in Solingen Germany. This was the first pack of blades I bought while waiting for my razor to come in the post last December. Anyway, I painted on the new Proraso and began. I must add, I thoroughly prep the same way every time, with no shortcuts regardless of what blade or cream I use. With the first stroke I had a sinking feeling. The razor tugged too much and the first WTG pass was a chore especially on the chin and moustache. Next the XTG pass became too much for me after the blade gave me a few weepers under my chin. At this point I could see the words 'Caution Bloodbath' in my mind. I aborted. Changed the Wilkinson out and replaced it with an Astra green that was already after giving me 3 shaves! The Astra finished a botched shave with flying colours and super-smoothness! Thank you Astra SP. That's the second time you bailed me out of a bad blade situation in the last two months! Answer me this:- How can a used Astra SP perform better than a brand new Wilkinson? I'll tell you because it's a super blade! I will never use a Wilkinson again and now all Wilkinson is good for, in my mind is a name which is a big competitor to Gillette. Good riddance to them and let them at it!
$IMG_0266.JPG

I agree 100% with the Wilkinson review. I bought a pack about two months ago, and I tried it on vacation a week later. Half way through the first pass on my first shave, I had to toss that thing due to severe pulling and irritation. I put in a new Astra SP and finished off the shave beautifully. On another note, I too have the Proraso red coming in from IB, and while I adore the Proraso green, I love Sandalwood and am really looking forward to trying this out!

I've used it twice now, first time for me with a Proraso product. To me, compared to others I have, it's OK; for the price it's great stuff. It lathers well with a brush and coats the face nice and pretty slick too. I had to cut it a bit with water on my second try because I used too much of the creme and it got gummy. I don't think it helped my shave any, in fact first time out with a Sledge and a Pol SI I got an irritation on my jaw line and under my chin. Second time with a Yellow and Red Tip the shave was quite a bit better. This would be a good creme for those that do not like overly fragrant creams IMO. I like sandalwood a lot, especially when it's a fairly strong, sweet fragrance. Also IMO, the Proraso Red has a kind of a flat (almost chalky), low key sandalwood fragrance which will probably be good enough for most. I like creams/croaps/soaps whose fragrance really lets you know it's there.
I realize that Proraso is really liked and used quite a bit by others here on B&B. I'm not ready to post it on the BST board yet and perhaps over time I will appreciate it more or it will grow on me. YMMV I guess, and mine did, or else I got a bad tube of the stuff.

I received a tube of the Proraso Sandalwood today, going to use it this weekend and I can't wait. I would use it tomorrow (Friday) but in the same order I also got a tub of TOBS Avocado and that wins out by a smidge. :wink:

I had my second blast off this new Proraso tube today and I fired an extra dollop into my lather bowl. I whipped the sucker till my hand looked like it was a blur, and boy oh boy did it cream up nicely! It was like cream you would put in your coffee or on a nice big slice of homemade apple pie! My blade of choice was an ASCO red/blue, in my EJ DE89L and I had a fantastic shave! I like this new Proraso a lot and I'm going to order the new 2012 Green 150ml tub now also.

Is it me or do I get the feeling that DE shaving is catching on more and more everyday? If you take time to look, there are hundreds of vendors and stacks of blades, razors, blades, soaps, creams and colognes available worldwide now. It seems larger than life. Or is it my own little view on the internet at a little niche market?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
This morning I used the new Proraso Green shaving cream. I got an excellent creamy lather and a wonderful shave. While I find the Red definitely more moisturizing, I like the fresh feel of the Green more during hot days. Actually both Red and Green are winners in my book.

I used the Proraso Sandalwood cream today, added a bit of the Proraso pre-shave for my second pass and finished with an ice-cold mix of Osage Rub and Proraso aftershave splash. Incredible!

Ugh!! I am a huge proraso fan. The green tub is my favorite soap. But I can't stand the smell of the new red! I like TOBS sandalwood and AOS sandalwood along with Trumpers but the proraso red smell too medicinal. While the performance is great I just can't use it cause of the scent. I'm glad I bought a sample from Gary before ordering a full tube.

I have both and consider them to be excellent shaving creams; perhaps the best at that price break point. However, I prefer the scent of the sandalwood over the strong eucalyptus/menthol of the green. Of course that is a subjective opinion. Scent aside, they both are excellent creams.

Marco, I've noticed the sandalwood to be very runny, is this normal? I've seen other threads where people have discussed the consistency as being much more liquid than the original.

Marco, I've noticed the sandalwood to be very runny, is this normal? I've seen other threads where people have discussed the consistency as being much more liquid than the original.

I would say try using a bit less water. I haven't found the Sandalwood to be runny at all, unless like in the beginning when I used too much water! It is very creamy and slick, a very good cream.

I would say try using a bit less water. I haven't found the Sandalwood to be runny at all, unless like in the beginning when I used too much water! It is very creamy and slick, a very good cream.

I should have clarified, it's runny right out of the tube. If I turn the tube upside down the cream runs out. I've had no problems lathering though.

I should have clarified, it's runny right out of the tube. If I turn the tube upside down the cream runs out. I've had no problems lathering though.

I had the same thing happen with a tube of TOBS Avocado... bad batch maybe?

Had the same thing happen to a tube of Penhaligon BB - some tubes are just runny.
My other 2 tubes of Penhaligon (Edymion and Opus 1870) are just fine.

My 1 tube of Red Proraso is quite dense right out of the tube.......
Batches will vary......my Penhaligon BB still lathers and shaves just fine though, so not a big issue

Top Bottom